Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:29 AM   #1
Davis
Max Brawn
Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 1 day
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: More deadlifts
Davis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beast
Default Movements I Didn't (and did) Do That Worked

Over the years, I've read of certain magical movements that were either going to make me super strong or cause life ending injury. Ok, maybe that last part is extreme, but you get the point.

Front squats: I intended these for my deadlifts, but despite increasing a lot of strength on my front squat, it did nothing too noticeable for my deadlift. It did, however, really help my squat.

Strict pressing from behind the neck: I always read this would kill my shoulders. I will say, be careful, and just do the movement before trying to go heavier. Once I got more comfortable with them, I noticed a rapid carryover to my press from the front. I don't bench much, but the extra shoulder strength certainly makes a huge difference to my bench. Behind the neck pull downs are good too.

Good mornings: I've done these for 3 years or so, and I'm not sure if they've helped much. I still do them some, but heavier for lower reps in hopes that will do more than the higher reps I've focused on in the past.

Back extensions: I used to not do these because I figured they were a waste of time with my deadlifting. Maybe they would have been. However, getting stronger on these has helped with numerous problems I had on my squat. I'm more stable, my knees stay in line easier, etc. I go as heavy as I can to still allow 6-10 reps. Prepare for a lower back pump from hell.

Bent over rows: This is a movement I have neglected too much over the years. Simply getting stronger on these has improved my deadlift. The bar is less likely to drift forward, and each week I can notice an improvement in speed from the floor.

Feel free to add your own.
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2014, 06:55 AM   #2
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

I haven't been training that long, and that's with some breaks too. Also, I'm not necessarily wanting to ever compete in anything, but okay...

Leg press has been the biggest surprise for me (I was always quite skeptical re: their value). Well, my quads have changed for the better since doing some of those, I'm pretty sure. More so than from all the squatting thus far, it would seem. But then, I squat low bar, which might (or might not... ) have something to do with that. And besides, it can be hard sometimes, to tell what's due to dietary changes, and what's due to changes in training...

Bulldog rows: Where were you all my life? Damn, they work dat back, and I can already (safely!) use quite a bit of weight for high reps, considering they're a 1-arm movement.

Hm, nothing else has really surprised me either way. Plenty of things I still haven't tried at all (e.g., good mornings). But that's okay. I'll stick with what I know does work. For now anyway.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:40 AM   #3
moeheep
Max Brawn
Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65

Training Exp: 1.5 years
Fav Exercise: DEADS
Fav Supp: Condense
moeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite member

Deficit Deads......hard to explain, but my deadlift platform is a piece of plywood on the ground covered by a horse mat, over time, the area where the plates sit has depressed in to the ground 1.5 inches, so we are all pulling at a deficit. Despite my dead not doing so well last cycle, I pulled a 16 lb PR at my last meet.

Back Raises / McGill BIG 3.....I have lower back arthritis, and hip arthritis on my right side. Deadlifts and my bench arch used to really hurt my lower back. Once I started doing back raises and the McGill BIg 3, lower back pain is almost non existent!

Good Mornings.....did very little for me, hammy's really took off when I switched to RDL's....after I actually learned how to do them correctly.

Best Meet Lifts:
Squat = 325
Bench = 210
Dead = 353
Total = 888

The iron is there during my times of happiness, sadness and anger. The iron is there available through the 4 seasons and inclement weather. The iron is there to either comfort me or motivate me. The Iron manages to show me how strong I am or how humble I need to be. The iron does not yell, but it always demands respect. The iron is not a disciplinarian, but when disrespected, I feel it for a long time. The iron does not love or hate, but we definitely share a strong bond. And no matter how far I stay away or for how long, the iron is there, waiting to be lifted.
moeheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:55 AM   #4
fenrisulfr
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn
Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: 4
Fav Supp: Chicken breast
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeheep View Post
Deficit Deads......hard to explain
Deficits increase off the floor pulling strength, as well as improving the mid range strength and grip strength because of the extra time you spend with the longer range of motion from floor to lockout.
fenrisulfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 02:05 PM   #5
moeheep
Max Brawn
Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65

Training Exp: 1.5 years
Fav Exercise: DEADS
Fav Supp: Condense
moeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrisulfr View Post
Deficits increase off the floor pulling strength, as well as improving the mid range strength and grip strength because of the extra time you spend with the longer range of motion from floor to lockout.
no, I meant it was hard to explain why we were doing deficit deads, but not on purpose.....

Best Meet Lifts:
Squat = 325
Bench = 210
Dead = 353
Total = 888

The iron is there during my times of happiness, sadness and anger. The iron is there available through the 4 seasons and inclement weather. The iron is there to either comfort me or motivate me. The Iron manages to show me how strong I am or how humble I need to be. The iron does not yell, but it always demands respect. The iron is not a disciplinarian, but when disrespected, I feel it for a long time. The iron does not love or hate, but we definitely share a strong bond. And no matter how far I stay away or for how long, the iron is there, waiting to be lifted.
moeheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:29 PM   #6
GZeolla
Banned
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,123, Level: 18 Points: 1,123, Level: 18 Points: 1,123, Level: 18
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: Since 1973 (with breaks)
Training Type: 4 Day Split
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Organic, natural foods
GZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributor

I'be found most any look-alike lift to be beneficial.
GZeolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:46 PM   #7
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

First thing that came behind to me is Behind the neck press. I didn't do them for years and just focused on front. I thought they were dangerous and unecessary. I have recently switched to behind the neck and experienced noticeable front and middle deltoid growth. I will say that I don't think bntp should be used until a certain level of strength is achieved on the front press for injury prevention purposes, but I have seen the benefit to BTNP

Face Pulls and Rear delt flys. I tended to avoid this through the majority of my lifting 'career'. I thought other movements would (rows, deads) were sufficient for rear delt growth/strength. Since I have implemented these movements regularly, I have experienced a filling out of my rear delts that I didn't realize I was missing and I have experienced less shoulder problems.

Pull ups. I used to think they were over rated or that rows were enough. And while I still they believe they are over rated as a strength indicator (topic for another discussion) they have been very effective for lat growth and overall back strength.

Power Cleans. I have seen it parroted that they are hard to do properly and dangerous. Well since regularly implementing them I have learned that both of those statements are inaccurate. And Power Cleans have had an amazing impact on my ability to generate force and on my trap growth. If I could pick one trap exercise to do for the rest of my life it would be power cleans. They have made my traps rather large.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:48 AM   #8
OneMorePlate
Max Brawn
Points: 4,036, Level: 40 Points: 4,036, Level: 40 Points: 4,036, Level: 40

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Red Meat
OneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master member

Above the 12 rep range sets and hypertrophy/strength gains.

GHR's- These had an amazing carryover to the big three especially DL's.
One could build a stronger DL pulling once every 6 weeks while training Powershrugs, BOR's and the GHR machine in place of direct work for DLing.
OneMorePlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:23 PM   #9
TDawg75
Team Koolaid Man
Max Brawn
Points: 3,495, Level: 36 Points: 3,495, Level: 36 Points: 3,495, Level: 36
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: since 5/15/13
Fav Exercise: buffet plate carry
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
TDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machine

I recently set out on a mission to increase my pitiful deadlift. I followed advice from two folks. first, BTB advocates bb rows as a way to help the dl. Paraphrasing- "If you can't row heavy, you won't be able to deadlift heavy"

I also took Omar Isuf's advice and added rdl's (he recommended good mornings, but I don't have enough shoulder mobility to properly control the bar).

So far, these seem to be working wonders for my girly deadlift. It is increasing at a pretty rapid pace right now.

I have also been working the hell out of shoulder presses because I heard a couple of folks say that a good shoulder press helps the bench press. This, too, seems to be true.

Gym pr's- bench 330, DL 405, squat 450
Meet pr's- bench 350, dl 425, squat tbd
My new training log- http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17510
TDawg75 is offline   Reply With Quote