Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:58 PM   #1
jopp
Brawn
Points: 1,530, Level: 22 Points: 1,530, Level: 22 Points: 1,530, Level: 22
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Training Exp: 1 year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: meat
jopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good posts
Default Good mornings

Today I did good mornings for the first time and I realized that I had no idea what I was doing. I listened to the anti-westide guys who hate good mornings.

For arched back good mornings-

Where do I put the bar on my back?
How far do I go down?
How much do I bend my knees?
How much do I arch?
Age 18
Weight 184

"Living with integrity is hard but it also breads true happiness because you can go to sleep every night with a clear mind."

You need to Build, Do not test all of the time.

Sometimes your strongest attribute becomes an obstacle

Training log- http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/sho...026#post490026
jopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2014, 02:45 PM   #2
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

I'll tell you how I personally do them-

I put the bar very low on my back. I don't like the bar rolling up on my neck. Think extremely low bar. I also bend my knees slightly as I descend, to keep strain off the knee joint itself. I arch as hard as possible and go down essentially as far as possible without losing any back arch. It's not a large ROM.

But the biggest, most important key to doing good mornings is to stick your butt back as far as possible. DON'T think about lowering the bar, just focus on sticking your ass out. That will put the weight onto your glutes and hamstrings, and protect your lower back by helping you keep your arch. It should be so dramatic that you literally can't do the movement without a bar on your back or you'd fall backwards.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:55 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopp View Post
Today I did good mornings for the first time and I realized that I had no idea what I was doing. I listened to the anti-westide guys who hate good mornings.

For arched back good mornings-

Where do I put the bar on my back?
How far do I go down?
How much do I bend my knees?
How much do I arch?
I do mine wide stanced with a normal bar placement, like squats. I perform them like a half squat, half good morning, and sink to about the half squat position while keeping a tight back.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:56 PM   #4
jopp
Brawn

jopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
I'll tell you how I personally do them-

I put the bar very low on my back. I don't like the bar rolling up on my neck. Think extremely low bar. I also bend my knees slightly as I descend, to keep strain off the knee joint itself. I arch as hard as possible and go down essentially as far as possible without losing any back arch. It's not a large ROM.

But the biggest, most important key to doing good mornings is to stick your butt back as far as possible. DON'T think about lowering the bar, just focus on sticking your ass out. That will put the weight onto your glutes and hamstrings, and protect your lower back by helping you keep your arch. It should be so dramatic that you literally can't do the movement without a bar on your back or you'd fall backwards.
I wasn't doing them as bad as i thought I guess. The extreme low bar is something I will do and the range of motion advice was great.

Are there any things that would expose a weak point during a good morning?
Age 18
Weight 184

"Living with integrity is hard but it also breads true happiness because you can go to sleep every night with a clear mind."

Old 06-24-2014, 02:57 PM   #5
jopp
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I do mine wide stanced with a normal bar placement, like squats. I perform them like a half squat, half good morning, and sink to about the half squat position while keeping a tight back.
Do you use a wide stance for a certain reason or for comfort?
Age 18
Weight 184

Old 06-24-2014, 02:58 PM   #6
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopp View Post
I wasn't doing them as bad as i thought I guess. The extreme low bar is something I will do and the range of motion advice was great.

Are there any things that would expose a weak point during a good morning?
Good mornings are a weak point builder, for the posterior chain.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:02 PM   #7
jopp
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteDreams View Post
Good mornings are a weak point builder, for the posterior chain.
Thank you for clearing that up for me.
Age 18
Weight 184

Old 06-24-2014, 03:07 PM   #8
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

A wider stance will involve more of the hips. I also like to do mine with a wide stance. Traditionally these are done with a closer stance but I find the wide stance helps me really feel these in my hamstrings and hips.

BTB's description is a good one. A good morning basically looks like a half squat where you're a little too bent over. I've often wondered if people think I'm just a terrible squatter when I do these, lol.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:15 PM   #9
jopp
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
A wider stance will involve more of the hips. I also like to do mine with a wide stance. Traditionally these are done with a closer stance but I find the wide stance helps me really feel these in my hamstrings and hips.

BTB's description is a good one. A good morning basically looks like a half squat where you're a little too bent over. I've often wondered if people think I'm just a terrible squatter when I do these, lol.
Its funny because that is how I felt too. Thank you everyone for all of the help.
Age 18
Weight 184