Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:36 AM   #21
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Some of the quest bars. If i eat a protein bar, Detour low sugar are okay but I prefer Powercrunch bars. They are low sugar, not too heavy and taste good.

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2014, 09:16 PM   #22
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Yeti Sports 1 Long Ass Shot Champion!
Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

I eat Tiger's Milk and Snickers...they have protein...and fat...and sugar...all of which I need.

However, I put whey in milk or eat some animals if I really want protein.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:16 PM   #23
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Do you eat protein bars, and if so which ones? If not, do you feel they are just glorified candy bars?

I generally do not eat protein bars, and prefer to eat whole solid protein types, such as, Beef, Pork, Turkey, buffalo, etc, and get most of my beef/buffalo/pork from a local meat market (butchered on site), which is unprocessed and has no other additives, and I know pretty much what I am consuming. It is wholesome, takes long to digest, keeps me full longer, and it is a natural source.

Within my business lifestyle I generally do not have a difficult time getting or cooking good protein sources, and just do not have a "need" for protein bars. And, can see its use within different lifestyle patterns. But, if I did, I would examine the various products before purchase, for the type of protein, amount of carbohydrates (and hidden sugar types), amount of calories, and the content of the other added ingredients, before making a decision on a purchase. As with most products, there are some good ones and some bad ones. If one examines the type of protein sources and educates themselves on the three types of macros, various ingredients (within competent studies) that "may" not be a good thing, and study sugar type sources, they can gain a pretty good idea, when they look at the package of ingredients whether it is a good product that contains a good source of protein or not.

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:11 PM   #24
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Do you eat protein bars, and if so which ones? If not, do you feel they are just glorified candy bars?
No, I don't eat them; I react to one of the ingredients, so can't eat them and can't be bothered reading all the small print to find one that may not include it.

Yes, to some degree, I feel they're glorified chocolate bars.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:10 AM   #25
Kag94
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,679, Level: 23 Points: 1,679, Level: 23 Points: 1,679, Level: 23
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 4
Fav Exercise: Sqwartz
Fav Supp: Caffeine
Kag94 has made some good postsKag94 has made some good postsKag94 has made some good postsKag94 has made some good postsKag94 has made some good postsKag94 has made some good postsKag94 has made some good postsKag94 has made some good postsKag94 has made some good postsKag94 has made some good postsKag94 has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB1987 View Post
I used to buy the Quest bars but their too dame expensive and I dont believe their claims. They taste to good be that healthy.

I did start making my own at home with Oats, Protein powder, peanut butter, honey , craisins & nuts. They make for an OK snack to take to work, but I honestly think the pre-packaged ones you buy at supplement shops are just glorified candy bars.

P.S. If you want homemade bars to taste like quest bars, you have to pour a ton of sweetener in them. Thats why I dont believe their claims.
Nothing wrong with a bottle of stevia hehe
Old 04-07-2014, 01:00 PM   #26
Greg B.
Brawn
Points: 1,462, Level: 21 Points: 1,462, Level: 21 Points: 1,462, Level: 21
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 6 Years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Barbell rows
Greg B. has made some good postsGreg B. has made some good postsGreg B. has made some good postsGreg B. has made some good postsGreg B. has made some good postsGreg B. has made some good postsGreg B. has made some good postsGreg B. has made some good posts

I do, I love them. Quest for sure, although I know theres controversy with them right now, my other favs are Pure Protein, Kroger supermarket brand, Muscle Milk bars, and Six Star nutrition for a very good tasting bar on a budget!

Main Website: http://www.aaefx.com/
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/allamericanefx
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/AllAmericanEFX
Twitter: @allamericanefx
Instagram: @aaefx

*My comments do not necessarily reflect the opinions of All American EFX and they are my own*
Greg B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:08 PM   #27
Iron_Addict82
Brawn
Points: 1,191, Level: 18 Points: 1,191, Level: 18 Points: 1,191, Level: 18
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: Not enough
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Beta Alanine
Iron_Addict82 has made some very good postsIron_Addict82 has made some very good postsIron_Addict82 has made some very good postsIron_Addict82 has made some very good postsIron_Addict82 has made some very good postsIron_Addict82 has made some very good postsIron_Addict82 has made some very good postsIron_Addict82 has made some very good postsIron_Addict82 has made some very good postsIron_Addict82 has made some very good postsIron_Addict82 has made some very good posts

Gatorade whey recovery bars....with a glass of milk so good
Iron_Addict82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:12 PM   #28
RickH
Brawn
Points: 694, Level: 13 Points: 694, Level: 13 Points: 694, Level: 13
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Dips
Fav Supp: Sardines
RickH has made some very good postsRickH has made some very good postsRickH has made some very good postsRickH has made some very good postsRickH has made some very good postsRickH has made some very good postsRickH has made some very good postsRickH has made some very good postsRickH has made some very good postsRickH has made some very good postsRickH has made some very good posts

IMO the best protein bars are Beef Jerky, can't go wrong unless you havea problem with salt, and if you do just eat more potassium with the beef jerky and you will be fine.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:47 PM   #29
GZeolla
Banned
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,123, Level: 18 Points: 1,123, Level: 18 Points: 1,123, Level: 18
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: Since 1973 (with breaks)
Training Type: 4 Day Split
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Organic, natural foods
GZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributor

I used to, but I prefer real, natural food, not processed foods. And bars a very processed, and almost always contain artificial ingredients.
GZeolla is offline   Reply With Quote