Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:50 AM   #11
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

Actually, come to think of it, there's another routine on these forums (there's a lot to choose from!) that I would recommend over that one, for a lot of people from beginner to "early intermediate":

http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums...ead.php?t=8870

Much closer to ideal, I think. Inasmuch as there's any kind of "ideal" routine, of course.

edit: Yep, joints is just one reason, but a damn good one.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:31 AM   #12
Mistwraith
Brawn
Points: 395, Level: 7 Points: 395, Level: 7 Points: 395, Level: 7
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 1
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey & Creatine
Mistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good posts

Another pet peevee of mine... i've read SO many times that "Squats are sending powerful growth signals to your body, just do them and go heavy"...

Dude... really... ? Am i to interpret that as "squat and everything else will grow whether you train it or not " ? Because, that is how it is often presented, and im sure, thats how it is often intended to be interpreted...

Squats stimulate a lot of muscle tissue. A lot of muscle groups will adapt to the stress imposed on them by squats. In that sense, they are sending a powerful signal, but the signal is no different from the one sent by lateral raises or calf raises. The ONLY logical difference is the amount of muscle groups that's being worked by the exercises.

People make the squat out to be the holy grail of body/strength building. Almost to the point where the squat is all you need, for a full body workout. In many ways, it is true. But understanding why it works, instead of simply accepting some mumbo jumbo about magical fluffy growth signals as the truth can prevent you from injuring yourself. The squat needs to be treated with respect, in my experience. Form and technique is critical. Just throwing people into the squat and telling them to go balls to the wall heavy is not good.
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:44 PM   #13
Call_Me_Ishmael
Brawn
Points: 625, Level: 12 Points: 625, Level: 12 Points: 625, Level: 12
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Overhead Press
Fav Supp: Cottage Cheese w/ Nuts
Call_Me_Ishmael has made some good postsCall_Me_Ishmael has made some good postsCall_Me_Ishmael has made some good postsCall_Me_Ishmael has made some good postsCall_Me_Ishmael has made some good postsCall_Me_Ishmael has made some good postsCall_Me_Ishmael has made some good postsCall_Me_Ishmael has made some good postsCall_Me_Ishmael has made some good postsCall_Me_Ishmael has made some good postsCall_Me_Ishmael has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistwraith View Post
Another pet peevee of mine... i've read SO many times that "Squats are sending powerful growth signals to your body, just do them and go heavy"...

Dude... really... ? Am i to interpret that as "squat and everything else will grow whether you train it or not "
I've heard similar talk about dead lifts.

It goes something along the lines of "Since I started dead lifting all my other lifts have shot up, after stagnating for many years."

Don't misunderstand me.

I'm not knocking dead lifts and yes, I recognize them as an important exercise (I do them myself).

And I'm not saying that these claims are untrue (I have no way to know for sure) but I can't help but question them.
Call_Me_Ishmael is online now   Reply With Quote