Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:40 PM   #71
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
Its all true, I just cant stop laughing .
Now you're putting the pressure on me! This thread has almost 30 views per post so...I must be doing something right?

I'm training tomorrow, so I'm sure at least 1 person will do something worth bitching about.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2014, 09:42 PM   #72
Chirag
Brawn
Points: 364, Level: 7 Points: 364, Level: 7 Points: 364, Level: 7
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%

Chirag has made some very good postsChirag has made some very good postsChirag has made some very good postsChirag has made some very good postsChirag has made some very good postsChirag has made some very good postsChirag has made some very good postsChirag has made some very good postsChirag has made some very good postsChirag has made some very good postsChirag has made some very good posts

I can't believe I didn't stumble on this before. This is probably the truest and most entertaining thread I have ever read. Keep posting!
Chirag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:39 AM   #73
Soldier
Max Brawn

Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Interesting thing that happened to me; I saw a documentary on body language and thought it would be fun to test out some of what they were saying. The next day I was at the motorpool (Basically a big parking lot for all of my brigade's military vehicles) having a little conversation with a bunch of other privates and one sergeant, who was of course in charge and talking to us about what was going on.

After he gave us permission to not stand at parade rest (It's a rule that all soldiers below the rank of sergeant must stand at parade rest while talking to a sergeant), I decided to stand in a body position that communicated dominance. I put my hands on my hips with my elbows slightly forwards, and my head tilted slightly downwards, just like this-

I made sure to relax my face so there would be no facial cues. I wanted to make sure the ONLY thing I did was change what I was doing with my arms. The sergeant continued to talk, then about 20 seconds later he stopped, looked at me and said "I'm not scared of you". He said it in that "I'm going to laugh like I'm joking, but I'm totally not joking" sort of way.

I was taken aback, of course, and immediately said "Why would you be scared of me?" I was trying to play it off, even though he had reacted exactly like he was supposed to. Here was a Sergeant, supposedly in charge of the whole group, stopping what he was saying to react to a simple change in where my arms were and how I was standing.

It just goes to show how truly powerful body language can be.

By the way, he totally was scared of me.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:16 AM   #74
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Good story.

It's interesting to me how body language can naturally change with confidence. I know this sounds obvious, but when I was young and intimidated by everything I wasn't aware of how obvious it was.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:22 AM   #75
Soldier
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Good story.

It's interesting to me how body language can naturally change with confidence. I know this sounds obvious, but when I was young and intimidated by everything I wasn't aware of how obvious it was.
Being in a middle school is a mind blowing lesson in body language. You can immediately tell exactly what everyone thinks of themselves and what their place is. Kids just aren't aware enough to even attempt to hide it like most adults are.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:55 AM   #76
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

You can't fake confidence, as they say.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:33 AM   #77
Soldier
Max Brawn

My wife became a Beach Body Coach. At one point in her life she sold mary kay, then for a while she was trying to sell some stuff from this company that makes natural, organic beauty products. Unfortunately she never made any actual money, but I always knew those things wouldn't work out. She's not a saleswoman. It's just not who she is. I'm not knocking her, because I'm not one either. But my wife has never been the best at being aware of her own shortcomings and the levels thereof.

I have a number of different feelings on her whoring herself out to the corporate fitness machine that is Beach Body. It erks me, because she KNOWS that the best way to improve your body is through resistance training. She WANTS to look like the girls who lift. But she HATES to lift. She says it's boring. I know well enough not to argue with her any more, so I just nod my head and move on. But now, instead of really helping women do what's best for them she's going to be pushing living room video programs to the masses.

BUT

(and she's told me this is how she feels on the subject)

It's still a good thing. I've done P90X and actually got in good shape. I didn't gain any muscle, of course, but it was a fun, engaging program that helped me get back in the fitness game. If she can get fat Army housewives up and moving a little, and she can make a buck doing it, then I guess that's ok.

The interesting thing will be to see what happens when she gets her fitness trainer certification. She's currently doing a certification program through ISSA, which puts her in an odd situation. Having letters after her name could lend a facade of credibility to her Beach Body coaching, but in the end she'd still be pushing a company's programs.

I don't know how I feel about it.

I just hope that she finds some success and makes some money. Evidently there are people making a veritable shitload of cash by hocking BB products, and if people are buying then I want to be the one doing the selling.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:43 PM   #78
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: the one that doesn't hurt
Fav Supp: Milk
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

so, you were never a saleswoman?

i've known people that do all the sales pyramid stuff and go nowhere. the issue is usually they want the end result (or, the "free" products) but don't really believe in it or care to do the work.

The good news is any fitness is good and jumping in the pool, even at the shallow end, is a good sign.

your job is 100% encouragement, light touch and keep her talking about it.

worst case, you get a hotter wife that needs to borrow some money from you.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:34 AM   #79
Soldier
Max Brawn

Default Powerlifting

Powerlifting will never have a single governing body. Itís never going to happen. Powerlifting is also never going to have the same credibility as weightlifting or crossfit, as painful as that might be to hear. It was possible at one time. If someone in the 80ís had made a concerted effort to consolidate most of the feds into a single body, back when gear was in its infancy and the steroid cat was still in the bag of social naivety, then it might have happened. They could have reigned in gear and controlled its development, which to me is the majority of the issue.

That last statement might confuse some. But when the feds were competing (for the attention of both the athletes and the general public), the heavier the weights were, the more attention you could potentially get. So there was no desire to control or limit the development of new equipment. As new technology evolved the sport became less accessible to the general public. The same thing that had garnered powerlifting more attention at one point became a large part of the reason itís not popular to or even known of by Joe Shmo.

If the same thing had happened with weightlifting, it certainly would have been possible for gear to be developed that could vastly increase peopleís lifts.

When I was a kid one of my favorite movies was The Sandlot. When you were a kid you could watch someone playing something on TV, then if you wanted to you could get some like minded kids together and go play it. Those kids loved watching baseball, but they loved playing even more. It cemented their love for the game when the felt the leather of the glove on one hand and the texture of the muddy ball in the other.

The same should be true of lifting. A young man should find his love of iron when he feels the crustiness of the chalk and smells the sweat of a gym where people put all of themselves into moving heavy things.

In the same way, golf was around for hundreds of years before it really became popular. The reason? No one could afford the equipment, much less the expense of going to an actual course. In the 20ís and 30ís if you wanted to just go hit some golf balls you had to hire a caddy to go out and retrieve your balls as you hit them. The game developed by Irish and Scottish shepherds to kill time in the fields had become a game of the elite, not by its design, but by what it had become. It wasnít until technology gave us modern driving ranges and somewhat inexpensive equipment, and many cities devoted land to developing municipal courses that allowed for inexpensive play that golf became a game of the people.

Powerlifting, a sport full of both hormonally and technologically assisted behemoths moving mountains of iron with occasionally questionable form, is not accessible to kids, or even most adults. Itís simply not possible for most kids to see it, try it, and fall in love with it the same way they can with most sports.

At some point everything simply got too out of hand. It makes sense. The raw records in powerlifting havenít changed much in the last 30 years. People are inherently able to move only so much weight. So really, the only ways to keep moving forward are to build new gear, take new steroids, or start a new fed with fresh record books. All 3 have happened in spades.
There is a chance that the course of the sport might shift. Indeed, it already has in many ways. Most are aware of the raw revival going on now in powerlifting. This new development has the potential to ďreset the clockĒ if you will. The numbers will go down, but people not only have no problem with this, they are fully accepting of it. If the raw trend continues to grow then it may be possible for powerlifting to eventually regain much of its lost legitimacy. Powerlifting could evolve into a spectacle similar to the scene at a racetrack on the weekends. There can be real competitions with lots of normal people, then at the end they can bring out the big boys to put on the show. In a world with jet-powered drag racing semi trucks, I see no reason that equipped lifting has to disappear.

Will it happen? For better or worse, no, it wonít. Powerlifting will remain an inaccessible and underground sport for the foreseeable future, spread thin by too many feds, loose judging, and public incredulity thanks to the vilification of PED use.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:20 PM   #80
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Unless your name ends with Malanichev, Lilliebridge, or Kendall. Then the weights may not go down too much

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote