Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:32 PM   #11
Davis
Max Brawn
Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 1 day
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: More deadlifts
Davis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHVNTHOLOGY View Post
My motivation stems from YouTube clips and a good iPod playlist.

In addition to the above, ICF 5x5 is a shitload of volume equating to lots of time in the gym. I'm aware of the program's success rate but 1.25-1.5 hours in the gym with 3 big lifts each and a bunch of accessory work is cringe-worthy.
How is it cringe-worthy?

You're losing weight while eating the same as before? If you aren't wanting to lose weight, eat a little more. If possible, sleep more. If food and sleep are in check, take a couple of days off, and see what happens. If none of that works, you're either sick or just need to make it happen.
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2014, 02:37 AM   #12
KHVNTHOLOGY
Killer Whale
New Brawn
Points: 68, Level: 1 Points: 68, Level: 1 Points: 68, Level: 1
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

KHVNTHOLOGY is off to a good startKHVNTHOLOGY is off to a good startKHVNTHOLOGY is off to a good startKHVNTHOLOGY is off to a good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis View Post
How is it cringe-worthy?
3 big compound movements coupled with 5 assistance exercises for a total of 8 movements 3x per week - in my opinion - is a lot of volume for a beginner to undertake.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:14 AM   #13
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Mrinda, without more info it's tough to give a good answer, but I think the big clue is losing weight. I'm with Davis. If you're losing weight and getting weaker, you need more food. You also need to get at least 7 hours of sleep a night, although 8 is better. Get lots of carbs for dinner the day before your session, then lots of carbs right after training, and kick your overall intake up closer to 4k.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:54 AM   #14
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

If your weight is going down, then that's a huge red flag. The lighter you get, the harder it becomes to maintain strength. That's just the reality of natural lifting.

If you are losing weight it's a sign that something is broke in your diet. You need to fix that.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:30 AM   #15
Mrinda87
Brawn
Points: 1,133, Level: 18 Points: 1,133, Level: 18 Points: 1,133, Level: 18

Fav Exercise: Overhead press
Mrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
Mrinda, without more info it's tough to give a good answer, but I think the big clue is losing weight. I'm with Davis. If you're losing weight and getting weaker, you need more food. You also need to get at least 7 hours of sleep a night, although 8 is better. Get lots of carbs for dinner the day before your session, then lots of carbs right after training, and kick your overall intake up closer to 4k.
I work afternoons to evenings so I sleep as long as I like most days 8-10 hours usually.the only explanation is food...I guess I'm accidentally been eating in a deficit? Find it strange that I'm losing weight on 3000 plus calories a day at 160 lbs though ..especially since it's what I've been eating at for months now. I'm upping carbs starting today though and going to eat closer to 4000 a day and see how things go the rest of the week
Mrinda87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:42 AM   #16
Mrinda87
Brawn

Mrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHVNTHOLOGY View Post
3 big compound movements coupled with 5 assistance exercises for a total of 8 movements 3x per week - in my opinion - is a lot of volume for a beginner to undertake.
Eh..it's not too bad. It's meant to be done in a surplus..but I'm starting to see how brutal it can be be if you don't keep up with the surplus and adjusting calories as you keep progressing in the program...which I beleive I have been slacking on and have pretty much gotten buried in the program due to that these past couple weeks.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:44 AM   #17
afraziaaaa
Max Brawn
Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrinda87 View Post
I work afternoons to evenings so I sleep as long as I like most days 8-10 hours usually.the only explanation is food...I guess I'm accidentally been eating in a deficit? Find it strange that I'm losing weight on 3000 plus calories a day at 160 lbs though ..especially since it's what I've been eating at for months now. I'm upping carbs starting today though and going to eat closer to 4000 a day and see how things go the rest of the week
160lbs and 3000cals/day? How are you counting that? I find that strange as well. I am 270 and do 3500-4500/day and maintain my weight. I just eat when I am hungry, about 75% clean or so.

Something else might be going on with you.

Maybe it would help to do a food log for a few days to see where you are falling short.
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:53 AM   #18
Mrinda87
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by afraziaaaa View Post
160lbs and 3000cals/day? How are you counting that? I find that strange as well. I am 270 and do 3500-4500/day and maintain my weight. I just eat when I am hungry, about 75% clean or so.

Something else might be going on with you.

Maybe it would help to do a food log for a few days to see where you are falling short.
I usually eat the same 4 meals a day then fill up the rest of my calories with milk throughout the day. The program volume is pretty high and I'm squatting 3x a week..it's possible that I'm burning more than I think..but there's no real way to truly know. but I do track everything. Whst do you think might be going on?
Old 03-11-2014, 11:00 AM   #19
Shorts
Hulk Smash!
Max Brawn
Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 5
Fav Supp: FOOD, nom nom
Shorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machine

Care to provide the meal that you eat 4x per day? May provide some insight on the quality of food you're getting as well.

Class I Total @ 198: 525/335/600 (1460)

"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training.... What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
-Socrates
Shorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:14 AM   #20
afraziaaaa
Max Brawn
Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrinda87 View Post
I usually eat the same 4 meals a day then fill up the rest of my calories with milk throughout the day. The program volume is pretty high and I'm squatting 3x a week..it's possible that I'm burning more than I think..but there's no real way to truly know. but I do track everything. Whst do you think might be going on?
Possibly you have reached homeostasis? Something medical maybe? Overtraining? Miscounting your calories?

Its really hard to tell honestly but it sounds food related to me.

I'm not necessarily saying you should do this, but if I were in your situation, I would take the cals down to about 2000 for about ten days, do a concurrent deload or even take off from training completely, and then pump the caloric intake back up and start training regularly again. Sometimes we just need a "reboot" of sorts.
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote