Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:06 PM   #11
Nephilim
New Brawn
Points: 208, Level: 4 Points: 208, Level: 4 Points: 208, Level: 4
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Training Exp: 1 year in powerlifting
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift, Power Cleans
Fav Supp: Whole Eggs
Nephilim has made some quality postsNephilim has made some quality postsNephilim has made some quality postsNephilim has made some quality postsNephilim has made some quality postsNephilim has made some quality posts

Quote:
A lot of guys try to use gear way to early. If you dont have a good strength base than it really isnt worth trying. Take a guy like Ryano who said he can get up to 300lbs from a single ply shirt. That is true, but he is also a 500lb raw bencher without really training it. A guy with a 200lb raw bench will not get 300lb of carry over. Hope that makes sense.
Well I think that's where I didn't make the connection that is more of a technique thing with guys that are already incredibly strong rather than just magically adding poundage. I thought it might sound like a bit of a silly question, but i appreciate legit and patient explanations. Ryano makes a good point too about still being able to move heavy iron as you get older. I can certainly understand that aspect too and who wouldn't want to lift for as long as possible?
Nephilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2014, 06:05 PM   #12
Nephilim
New Brawn
Points: 208, Level: 4 Points: 208, Level: 4 Points: 208, Level: 4
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Training Exp: 1 year in powerlifting
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift, Power Cleans
Fav Supp: Whole Eggs
Nephilim has made some quality postsNephilim has made some quality postsNephilim has made some quality postsNephilim has made some quality postsNephilim has made some quality postsNephilim has made some quality posts

How do power belts function in the deadlift and squat? Are these recommended?
Nephilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:03 PM   #13
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephilim View Post
How do power belts function in the deadlift and squat? Are these recommended?
You'll hear different theories about how to use belts and why you should/shouldn't use them. For me, a belt functions to help me stay more upright and take some of the strain off my lumbar spinae. When I deadlift I don't have to fight to keep my back from rounding like I so with no belt. But I pulled 500 before I even bought a belt.

I've heard some say that you should actually keep the belt just a little loose, then try to push your abs out against the belt. I don't think of it this way, but I also rarely use my belt anymore.

I also keep my belt fairly low and not completely tight when I squat. I think about angling the belt downward towards the front and hitching it up on my back, and it feels like I'm putting my "gut" over the belt. On deads, however, I have the belt much higher and really tight.

I think it's ok to get a belt and experiment with it regardless of how advanced you are, but it should only be used on your heaviest sets, and only if you really need it. I feel the same about knee wraps.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:14 PM   #14
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

By the way, since we're talking about suits and belts, check this out.

This was the first day I ever put on my squat suit. I put every plate I own on the bar and squatted 100lb more than I had ever done before. A few weeks later I got 555 with semi-questionable depth.