Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:53 PM   #1
gorgiebillyboy
New Brawn
Points: 398, Level: 7 Points: 398, Level: 7 Points: 398, Level: 7
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Fav Exercise: trap bar dead/bench press
gorgiebillyboy is new to the forumgorgiebillyboy is new to the forum
Default how much sleep is really needed to build muscle or lose fat.

Hi my names liam, recently ive only been getting 4-5 hours sleep at night im 19 years old, 210 pounds, overweight for sure... but is the lack of sleep affecting my fat loss?
gorgiebillyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2014, 10:20 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Not really, unless it's forcing you to stress eat or take in more calories.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:21 PM   #3
gorgiebillyboy
New Brawn

what about building muscle?
Old 01-05-2014, 10:30 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Nope. Never impacted me, or any other parent. We don't sleep for decades!

You can still build quality muscle and strength with less than optimal sleep.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:38 PM   #5
gorgiebillyboy
New Brawn

thanks very much big guy
Old 01-06-2014, 09:25 AM   #6
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Hi Liam.

I've stumbled upon this question recently.

Don't believe I wrote a thread about it, otherwise I'd refer you to it.

But the take home notes I gathered from research, and the guys here, is that like Steve said, parents, of which there are many here on the forum, haven't been getting optimal sleep, yet it hasn't hindered their ability to build muscle, and certainly not to lose fat.

However, If your tired from lack of enough sleep, you might not perform as well in the gym the next day.

There are other reasons you need your sleep than just recovery.

For example with me, I know if I don't get enough sleep, I feel crappy the whole day, and that effects my eating, my lifting, etc;

However it's a personal thing, most definatly.

If the only thing your bothered about is missing out on recovery, then that suggests your not really tired throughout the day, and you can perform fine with 4-5 hours, or you would have said so.

If you can get by and feel fine with 4-5 hours, then that's great, and you have no need to worry, IMO.

If not, and you do infact feel crappy throughout the day, tell us the reasons, tell us exactly how you feel, weather it affects your lifting, etc;

Because that's more important that missing out on gains, which btb's explained is unlikely to happen.

Give us some more information if thats the case, and someone more qualified can tell you what to do.

Hope this helps.

- Linden
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:59 PM   #7
preciso
Brawn
Points: 335, Level: 6 Points: 335, Level: 6 Points: 335, Level: 6
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Type: Starting Strength
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: CLP
preciso has made some quality postspreciso has made some quality postspreciso has made some quality postspreciso has made some quality postspreciso has made some quality postspreciso has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
You can still build quality muscle and strength with less than optimal sleep.

but will you build more quality muscle and be perhaps a little bit stronger, with optimal sleep? even a tiny bit more? Gotta think that more sleep cant hurt, and if it cant hurt, it probably helps?
preciso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:23 PM   #8
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciso View Post
but will you build more quality muscle and be perhaps a little bit stronger, with optimal sleep? even a tiny bit more? Gotta think that more sleep cant hurt, and if it cant hurt, it probably helps?
It probably helps doesn't necessarily follow from it can't hurt.

There is some research showing that physical performance does improve with optimal sleep. And it probably helps fat loss and alters hormonal profiles in a positive way. But will it make a really noticeable difference? Sleep is only one factor that affects muscle growth, along with:

training stimulus (frequency, intensity, duration, volume etc)
macronutrient intake
micronutrient intake
hormonal status
overall health
cardiovascular fitness
amount of cardio/other exercise
stress

etc etc.

You can go crazy sweating about every single factor that could or might affect your growth.

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:04 PM   #9
preciso
Brawn
Points: 335, Level: 6 Points: 335, Level: 6 Points: 335, Level: 6
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Type: Starting Strength
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: CLP
preciso has made some quality postspreciso has made some quality postspreciso has made some quality postspreciso has made some quality postspreciso has made some quality postspreciso has made some quality posts

Im on board with what youre Saying Tannhauser, and I agree that theres lots of variables that go into muscle building, and if some hard working sob is holding down two jobs, parenting kids, and is dedicated to a training program, but just cant get more than 5-6 hours of sleep a night, We shouldnt tell him to sacrifice his family for a nap.

I just think that the emphasis on the importance on sleep just isnt there in most sports and physical activities.
. Probably because "sleep" isnt produced in a lab or warehouse, marketed, and sold on Amazon.com.

The other connection with sleep is the positive benefit that it gives to mental performance. -which I could argue, filters into the physical performance, ie training.

Just something to think about., Im certainly no expert on fitness, but I have been heavily involved in a sport for many years, and I see parallels.
preciso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:13 PM   #10
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
The other connection with sleep is the positive benefit that it gives to mental performance. -which I could argue, filters into the physical performance, ie training.

This.

Don't worry so much about how it affects your recovery.

As Tan said there are hundreds of variables with virtually every aspect of sports, fitness, lifting etc; that we could worry about.

For example with the sleep, you go into it further and find allot of so called "experts" explaining which type of recovery is happening in each of the specific hours in one sleep cycle.

You can drive your self crazy with it, and THAT I've had allot of experience with myself.

I go through that process allot, of overcomplicating, with having OCD.

The minutia generally doesn't matter.

I've been going on for the last week ago about macro nutrients, trying to plan out the perfect diet.

How much strength have I built while I've put my diet on hold to plan it all out?

None.

Simplify as you'll find Steve says allot. I hope you don't go down the same track as me.

Focus on getting enough sleep so you can complete a solid workout.

Not how your sleep is effecting how much muscle your going to build.

Make sure your getting stronger, and you'll be fine.

- Linden
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote