Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Logs
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 12-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #31
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Good training man!
Old 12-16-2013, 09:13 PM   #32
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Smash them legs.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:27 AM   #33
BobbyMac
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,473, Level: 21 Points: 1,473, Level: 21 Points: 1,473, Level: 21
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: about 3y (total combined)
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench
Fav Supp: goat milk
BobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post
Good training man!
Thanks, Swede!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Smash them legs.
Done.

I was able to lift pretty heavy today since I wasn't concentrating on reaching high reps on anything. My form got a little sloppy on my 3rd set of squatting so I stopped adding weight after that, but I'm now lifting more for 6 reps than I was for 5 when I switched programs a while back, so obviously I haven't been doing this program for nothing.

Another couple good things is my grip felt pretty solid, and I'm not as sore as I typically would be from my chest/tris workout. Cutting back on reps must contribute to cutting back on DOMS. We'll see how I feel tomorrow.

Here's what I did today:

Deep Squats: 10x100, 8x110, 6x115, 4x115
SLDL: 12x100, 10x105, 10x110, 10x115
Lunges: 4x8(per leg)x18kg DBs
abs: 5x20

Looking forward to chillin tomorrow.

Here's a bonus video; my cousin winning the Michigan APF teen tournament. He's a total beast and he's in college now so I'm sure he lifts probably double what I do... BUT... I think I'll be able to out-lift his 15-yr-old self in a few months. I think I got him on bench already and I KNOW my squat form looks better than his:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBDQfD-STH8&hl=en&fs=1&">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBDQfD-STH8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">
BobbyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:30 PM   #34
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Good work man, keep crushing it.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:27 AM   #35
BobbyMac
Uber Brawn

BobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributor

I felt really strong during my first few sets. I hit 12 reps twice in a row for pull-ups which is a first for me and great for a guy of my fitness level & weight. I also love pull-ups.

Continuing on the trend of lowering my reps, I've chosen to keep my pull-up/chin-ups the same for now. For my other two exercises I lowered reps by 2.

Here are my #s...

Pull-ups: 12, 12, 10, 8
Chin-ups: 10, 10, 8, 9
Barbell Rows: 4x10x70kg
Cable Rows: 4x8x90kg

Shoulder day tomorrow but for now I'm off to teach my most hated class of the week: kindergarten.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #36
BobbyMac
Uber Brawn

I started out like a beast on my military presses today (traditionally a weaker lift for me). Otherwise everything else was about the same, but with a focus on decreasing my reps with higher weight as per usual.

With my shrugs, I've been using the larges DBs in the gym since the beginning of this routine so I made sure to decrease my rest time between sets so I could get more of a workout.

Here's what I did:

Military: 12x45, 8x50, 6x55, 6x55
DB Press: 10x22, 9x22, 8x22, 6x22
Shrugs: 4x8x50kg DBs
Upright Rows: 45kg x (9,10,10,10)
Abs: 5x20

Time for dinner... pork chops & blue cheese cream sauce... mmm...
Old 12-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #37
BobbyMac
Uber Brawn

Finally got a shot of me getting set to do my Romanian Deadlifts in a Romanian gym in the Capital of Romania (photo taken by a Romanian). How 'bout that?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1493381_612121548823951_1250276090_o.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	12441  
Old 12-22-2013, 05:56 AM   #38
BobbyMac
Uber Brawn

Default A Sneak Peak at my Upcoming 5x5 Routine (feedback welcome!)

So... as maybe a couple people know, I'm planning on switching from my current split to a 5x5 fullbody workout in a couple weeks or so. My two main reasons for this are that I feel like I get more out of a fullbody, and secondly I'll probably be traveling quite a bit in the next few months and have to miss/modify my schedule. With a fullbody I feel like I won't be tripping too hard if I have to skip/modify it compared to a split.

I've done quite a bit of research on 5x5s and downloaded a few spreadsheets. I've finally found one that I like because it tells me EXACTLY what I should be lifting. Now... I'd consider myself a good cook but even after 20+ yrs of cooking most of my meals by myself I cannot cook without a recipe. I'm just not one of those kinds of people. By the same token I'm the same way with my workouts.

So here's what the core of the workout looks like followed with my own thoughts/concerns on the workout:

Mon:
Squat 5x5
Bench 1x5
Row 1x5

Wed:
Squat 5x5
Deadlift 5x5
Military Press 5x5
Chins 5x5

Fri:
Squat 1x5
Bench 5x5
Row 5x5

It stays like this with pre-prescribed progressive weight increases for 4 weeks and then it switches to a 3x3/1x3 format for the next 5. After that, you can start the program over again which I intend to do.

MY THOUGHTS
The idea of doing squats 3x a week is a little intimidating especially since my legs get sore easily and my back ain't what it used to be. That being said, I think it'd be good for me and I feel like I can handle it as long as I maintain the good form I've been working on so hard with this split workout I'm doing now. I also feel like I need some assistance work; probably no more than 2 exercises/day. I'm thinking:

Mon: planks (3 sets), BB shrugs (3x8)
Wed: weighted sit-ups (3x20), Dips (3x max)
Fri: planks (3 sets), close-grip bench (3x8)

I'd be very interested in hearing anybody's opinions on this. If I don't hear from anyone I'll be forced to re-post this somewhere else!

My training log: Twice a Week, Twice the Recovery!
BJJ in Moldova: Pride Moldova BJJ

Facebook link
Old 12-22-2013, 10:38 AM   #39
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: not enough
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

solid and simple program...I've done similar in the past and it worked very well...going to more of a 5x5 program for 2014 as well.

You'll like squatting 3x/week. You'll settle in quickly and the frequency will be beneficial.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #40
BobbyMac
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmalm123 View Post
solid and simple program...I've done similar in the past and it worked very well...going to more of a 5x5 program for 2014 as well.

You'll like squatting 3x/week. You'll settle in quickly and the frequency will be beneficial.
Thanks for the feedback. I'd be interested to see what your routine looks like once you get it all hammered out.

I felt like a monster after today's workout. I think that lower reps are definitely a better fit for me. I was basically able to smash all my PRs for reps and weight (excluding dips which are hard for me to quantify). I'm really looking forward to switching to that 5x5 routine now.

Here's what I did:

Bench: 8x100, 7x105, 7x107.5, 7x107.5kg
Incline DB Press: 9x36, 8x36, 8x36, 7x36kg DBs
Close grip BP: 7x80, 8x80, 7x80, 7x80kg
Dips: 12, 8, 10, 8

Hopefully my leg day tomorrow will be as fruitful as my chest/tri day today. My gym will close down for Christmas and the day after. It will be the first day I'll have to skip the gym in 2 months. Glad the hard work and consistency has been paying off.

My training log: Twice a Week, Twice the Recovery!
BJJ in Moldova: Pride Moldova BJJ

Facebook link