Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
Davis
Max Brawn
Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 1 day
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: More deadlifts
Davis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beast
Default Probably A Complete 531 Knockoff

Here's an idea I've been thinking of for a while now, and I am just now getting it onto the internet so that I might actually follow a program rather than just go for a heavy 5, triple, or single. Essentially, what I'm laying out is the same way I've been training for months now, but with actual progressions that may lead to...progress. Before writing this, I find myself wanting to get all fancy with adding in weeks for rep schemes of 10x2, but thinking I would actually train that way is absurd...for now at least. Enough nonsense, here's the idea.

Start out with 90% of my maxes, like 531. Not your best lift at one time, but what I can hit today based on reps in recent training.

Squat: 445 (495)
Press: 170 (190)
Deadlift: 485 (540)

Training will be 4 days a week. The 3 main lifts, and a strongman event along with more pressing on Saturdays, lest I decide to train a second event.

Week one: 85% 3x5. 75% 2x8. If there is room and reason in the tank to go for more reps on the last set, do it. Form breaking down too much or you're too tired? Don't do it. Move on to the assistance lifts.

Week two: 90% 3x3. 80% 2x5.

Week three: 95% 1x2. If a third or as high as 5 reps are possible early on, do them. 80% 2x8.

Week four: Either start the cycle again, or deload if felt necessary.

After 3 weeks(a 4th if a deload is chosen, and probably should be as you increase more) increase 10 lbs to your lower body lifts, and 5 to your upper body. In this case, since there is no bench press, I guess just add 5 pounds to the press. If it gets to where adding so much weight each cycle is impossible, I imagine adding 5 lbs to the squat and deadlift would work and repeating the weight would be fine for the next cycle on the press.

On the event training, keep the weights lighter and more focused on technique, speed, reps, whatever... As your competition comes closer, you should be getting heavier I assume. As is the way of powerlifting. On the event day, overhead pressing is not mandatory. I'm only choosing it as a secondary focus as my pressing is pretty weak. Other movements will be high rep arms, and upper back.

At least one set of an upper back movement will be performed in every workout. Any movement, any weight, just do it.

Assistance movements:
Squat day: My staples so far will be a hamstring and a quad movement. Usually a high rep RDL, or speed sumo deads. Goodmornings MIGHT be an option should I choose to move those away from DL day. For quads, leg press or hack squats.

Press: Always some type of pulling movement in between pressing sets. Usually face pulls. Other assistance movements: Bent over rows, DB rows, seated rows, DB benching, DB pressing. Curls for the girls, tricep ropes. CG benching. Pick some of those, be consistent.

Deadlift: Front squats, good mornings, power cleans, getting angry because you feel you didn't deadlift heavy enough... Front squats are probably necessary for you. They seem to have helped out in just about every way.

Events: Pick something up, carry it. Throw it over your head. Do something relevant to your competition, and work on your weaknesses(everything). Whatever will make your mom think you're about to kill yourself, do it.

There are higher reps in this program, but I am not sure if I will stick with that exact scheme for deadlifts. It's highly possible I will instead swap those for something like 3x3 deficit pulls or something. Or maybe just an extra set of top set deadlifts because I like doing things like that.

Advice? Critique? All is appreciated. I plan on starting Monday.
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2013, 09:38 PM   #2
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: the one that doesn't hurt
Fav Supp: Milk
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

But it sounds like a Wendler rip-off!

just kidding!

your progression logic seems sound and even 5lb jumps are progress.

I like your focus on your weak area and agree that dead lifts are best kept lower reps w/higher weights.

I'm also a fan of pairing a pull with a push...keeps the shoulders balanced and healthy
Old 12-08-2013, 01:49 AM   #3
Nathan
Max Brawn
Points: 2,117, Level: 27 Points: 2,117, Level: 27 Points: 2,117, Level: 27
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%

Training Exp: 10+ Years
Fav Supp: Breast Milk
Nathan is a lifting machineNathan is a lifting machineNathan is a lifting machineNathan is a lifting machineNathan is a lifting machineNathan is a lifting machineNathan is a lifting machineNathan is a lifting machineNathan is a lifting machineNathan is a lifting machineNathan is a lifting machine

Solid advice by mister jdmalm. I'm just disappointed the gif doesn't show one of those guys getting the bar in the face and falling back like a dumbass...
Nathan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:37 AM   #4
Davis
Max Brawn
Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41

Training Exp: 1 day
Fav Supp: More deadlifts
Davis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beast

Thanks for the feedback.

After my first day of this on my squats, I can tell you this is harder than it originally looked like. I think it's going to do well for me. I'd say a few cycles in, this will really start to test me.
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote