Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
Spunkrat
New Brawn
Points: 703, Level: 14 Points: 703, Level: 14 Points: 703, Level: 14
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 1.5
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Spunkrat has made some quality postsSpunkrat has made some quality postsSpunkrat has made some quality postsSpunkrat has made some quality postsSpunkrat has made some quality postsSpunkrat has made some quality postsSpunkrat has made some quality posts
Default Bench press pales in comparison to other lifts...am I doing something wrong?

Hi.

So right now my lifts are at 180kg x 6 for the deadlift, 160kg x 5 for the squat, and 100kg x 4 for the bench press.

Bench Press is not my strong point however I have noticed progression on this lift, as well as the barbell shoulder press, to be a lot slower compared to other lifts, such as the deadlift and squat. I guess this partly is contributed because I am 6'1 with long arms.

I have never really faced a long plateau on this lift but progress is slow. I have almost 2 years of training experience, although the first year was almost a complete waste because of the type of training I did.

I do a push/legs/off/pull/off/repeat routine about twice a week. Here's my push day:

Barbell Bench Press x 3 sets 5-8
Dips x 3 sets 8-10
Seated Barbell Shoulder Press x 3 sets 5-8
Lateral Raises x 2 sets 8-10
Skullcrushers x 3 sets 6-10

While I understand everyone is different in terms of how much they can tolerate, I would like some advice on what I can do to maybe assist with bench press/shoulder press progression. Should I reduce volume?
Spunkrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2013, 08:51 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Bench will typically move slower than the other lifts, especially once it gets to 225 pounds. Right now you have a decent bench. From where you are at, it may take 1-2 (or even 3) years to get your bench over 300.

Many guys think they have a plateau when the are really making good, consistent progress and simply have false expectations as to how fast their bench should improve. I am not saying this is necessarily the case, but it's the first avenue we need to probe.

What were your bench numbers from your log exactly 6 months ago, and exactly one year ago?

Let's look at numbers and exact progress before we discuss programming. That will help give us a reference point, so we can better help you.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:57 PM   #3
afraziaaaa
Max Brawn
Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunkrat View Post
Hi.

I do a push/legs/off/pull/off/repeat routine about twice a week. Here's my push day:

Barbell Bench Press x 3 sets 5-8
Dips x 3 sets 8-10
Seated Barbell Shoulder Press x 3 sets 5-8
Lateral Raises x 2 sets 8-10
Skullcrushers x 3 sets 6-10
So you are pushing twice per week? How long have you been doing this same routine?

If you are on a strength plateau, eating more is a surefire way to help yourself break through it. You can trim the fat off later if you like. If you're like most people who have been training for two years you are probably eating too much protein, and not eating enough fat/carbs. You need the fats and carbs for strength.

As far as your training goes, if I were you I wouldn't lower volume (unless you are doing push workouts twice per week...it might be too much for you depending on how you feel). I would lower the reps on the compounds while keeping your total volume per workout the same. That's if you even need to alter your training.

Also, it took me 3 years to get from 225lbs to a 300lb bench press. Then another 7 years or so to break 400lbs. Just a bit of perspective.

Last edited by afraziaaaa; 11-26-2013 at 08:59 PM.
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:12 PM   #4
Spunkrat
New Brawn
Points: 703, Level: 14 Points: 703, Level: 14 Points: 703, Level: 14

Training Exp: 1.5
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Spunkrat has made some quality postsSpunkrat has made some quality postsSpunkrat has made some quality postsSpunkrat has made some quality postsSpunkrat has made some quality postsSpunkrat has made some quality postsSpunkrat has made some quality posts

Yep, that's correct its pretty much twice per week most of the time, it rotates. Each muscle trained every 5 days. As far as my weight Im at 106.5kg now, but to be honest dont want to be gaining weight too fast as I feel too heavy, so a really slow bulk seems to work better for me in terms of longevity.

@BendtheBar that is a little disheartening haha. 300 bench would be a great achievement for me. 6 months ago bench was at 75kg x 6-8, and a 12 months ago it was 60kg for reps. PII may just have unrealistic expectations? Im perplexed though at the difference in the three lifts.

Been on this routine about 5 months now which is when Ive made the most progress.
Spunkrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:17 PM   #5
Davis
Max Brawn
Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41

Training Exp: 1 day
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: More deadlifts
Davis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beast

100kg bench isn't bad. Every dude in the gym wants that if they don't have it. You did it in a year and a half. Good work. That shows you've been working hard. Even if it does take another year or two to get it to 300+, do you know how many people in the gym actually bench 300? Or 315 for that matter? Few do or still can. On the internet, we see all of these big bench presses, and think that because we aren't benching 500 pounds, something must be wrong. The reality is, it takes time, and there are still a million people out there who want to bench 225, and even 135. Keep going. You're doing just fine.
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:06 AM   #6
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Your lifts are very respectable. You are only 18, got a long way ahead of you. Enjoy the ride!!
Old 11-27-2013, 02:11 AM   #7
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

Yep, doing well mate. To a large extent, if you keep on doing all of them (plus some other stuff), they'll all keep going up. Sure, at slightly different rates, and yeah, everyone's different that way, but whatever - the main thing is, just progressing.

Which, it seems, you've got the hang of.