Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
SeventySeven
Max Brawn
Points: 5,586, Level: 48 Points: 5,586, Level: 48 Points: 5,586, Level: 48
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 1 year+
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Xtend
SeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machine
Default You dont need to eat to gain

read this little gem.
Is it? I mean it makes absolutely zero scientific sense that it IS. When was it explicitly stated in a biology textbook that there was a need for excess non-protein calories in order to repair/hypertrophy a tissue? It never has. If you're mandating your body undergo a given adaptation, it will, given the required resources are available (protein and lipids for the cell membrane etc). I'm beginning to think people think people only bulk because they want an excuse to EAT, especially since testosterone (especially on gear) reduces circulating leptin, making you hungrier.

Furthermore, wouldn't this mean you could, in theory, build muscle just fine on a calorie deficit that provides anything more than the minimum fat for health, and minimum carbs to avoid protein degradation (or just add more protein, about 10-30g/day to account for protein breakdown for glucose)? The minimum fat being, say 70g, and carbs being, say 250g for someone strength training hard/heavy 4xWeek. It makes no sense that it wouldn't work. Numbers, beside protein breakdown numbers, are theoretical of course.

my brain hurts
Old 11-26-2013, 04:50 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

It is a physiological reality that when eating more the body doesn't turn every extra calorie into fat. This is a myth. The body also uses extra calories to build muscle tissue, especially when lifting.

Even during extreme bulks it takes about 2 weeks for the human body to transition into full blow fat storage mode. During this time the body can function in a very anabolic manner.

With limited food, the body will not see building additional muscle tissue as a priority. It has far too many other critical functions to maintain first. It stands to reason that extra food via a reasonable bulk does indeed open the door to more rapid muscle gains because muscle mass is now no longer a luxury, and becomes "cheaper" for the body to construct.

We also have a vast amount of real world feedback regarding this subject. I know personally that they more I eat, the faster my strength and muscle gains come. If food helps with strength, it also helps with muscle.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:30 PM   #3
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

I just like to eat, keep my brain from hurting

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #4
djjdnap
lil hulk
Brawn
Points: 925, Level: 16 Points: 925, Level: 16 Points: 925, Level: 16
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 3
Fav Exercise: squat and dead
Fav Supp: Meat
djjdnap has made some very good postsdjjdnap has made some very good postsdjjdnap has made some very good postsdjjdnap has made some very good postsdjjdnap has made some very good postsdjjdnap has made some very good postsdjjdnap has made some very good postsdjjdnap has made some very good postsdjjdnap has made some very good postsdjjdnap has made some very good postsdjjdnap has made some very good posts

good point, but then ppl bring up the argument of people in prison lifting weights and still making better gains than the ppl eating and taking supplements all day.

I think the real issue is sticking to a routine.

Eating when your supposed to eat.
Sleeping when your supposed to sleep.
and working out when its time to work out.

gym:665/435/675
meet:725/430/705

Best total:1830 @220

goals:750/450/725
djjdnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjdnap View Post
good point, but then ppl bring up the argument of people in prison lifting weights and still making better gains than the ppl eating and taking supplements all day.
Gasp has commented on this topic many times. They have nothing to do but rest and recover, and they have access to food. They are actually doing the things right that need to be done right.

Those that are gaining.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
bigalfry
Max Brawn
Points: 4,796, Level: 44 Points: 4,796, Level: 44 Points: 4,796, Level: 44
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Exp: 12
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Bench
Fav Supp: Beef
bigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjdnap View Post

I think the real issue is sticking to a routine.

Eating when your supposed to eat.
Sleeping when your supposed to sleep.
and working out when its time to work out.
One thing to keep in mind when looking at prisoners and their gains is that they don't have much else to do. They don't have work stressing them out or making them lose sleep. They are very likely very well rested and the single effort they put forward in a day is their workout. I for example eat way more than a prisoner, but at the same time, I'm probably not getting enough sleep because I have to work, I come home and I'm chasing my kids all over the house. From a strictly 'gains' perspective a portion of my food intake is wasted because it contributes to those things as well. Whereas a prisoner who does little more than sleep and workout - their food intake goes pretty much solely to fueling that.

In my head this sounded like a great point but as I typed it out I realised that I have never been in the joint so I probably have no idea what I'm talking about and am just rationalizing based on my assumptions...
Deadlift 425
Total = 1061

Meet PRs:
TBD

Training Log:
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17327
bigalfry is online now   Reply With Quote