Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:21 PM   #31
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

A quick thought on squating. I'm really tired of people attributing an entire list of technique "rules" to each hold. If you squat high bar, you have to use a narrow stance and stay more upright. If you squat low bar, you have to widen your stance and stick your butt out.

Bullshit! Look at Eric Lillebridge's new low bar style; narrow stance and still very upright. The switch to low bar means his leverages are improved, but his squat looks essentially the same.

Lately I've been using a low bar hold and a very narrow stance. I've also been trying to keep my chest up, which is a massive change for me. Thanks to this change I've been able to use rebound better than ever before, and I've also had awesome quad devlopment.

I'll never understand how it came to be that the hold determined how the entire squat must be performed. Think about it. WHY do you have to stick out your butt more with a low bar hold? Realistically, no reason at all. We've just been told that's how to do it.

Experiment! Try more extreme things than you've ever tried before. Try putting your feet wider than you think you should. Try staying more upright than you think you should. Try a more narrow stance than you even think is possible (Not all at the same time, and with light weights, of course). When you experiement with extremes you'll get extreme changes that allow you to figure out what works and what doesn't, and vary the extremes to find a form that works for you.

The only rule is to go deep. Everything else is negotiable!
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2013, 10:26 PM   #32
Soldier
Max Brawn

Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Being sick or being in pain is the kind of thing you can't really understand if you're not experiencing it. Even if you've been sick before, You're not really empathetic to people who are when you feel fine.

I'm sick right now, with a bad and constant headache, and my wife thinks it's funny to get my daughter to use a tin pail as a drum. Not cool. But if SHE'S sick? Oh god, I'd never try something like that. As much as I want to be mad, I understand how it is.

Last night I throw up an entire pizza. I had always wondered what that much food looked like in my stomach. I had WONDERED. I didn't actually want to know. Now I know.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:02 PM   #33
SCStrong
Max Brawn
Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Beer; Milk is for Babies
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
Being sick or being in pain is the kind of thing you can't really understand if you're not experiencing it. Even if you've been sick before, You're not really empathetic to people who are when you feel fine.

I'm sick right now, with a bad and constant headache, and my wife thinks it's funny to get my daughter to use a tin pail as a drum. Not cool. But if SHE'S sick? Oh god, I'd never try something like that. As much as I want to be mad, I understand how it is.

Last night I throw up an entire pizza. I had always wondered what that much food looked like in my stomach. I had WONDERED. I didn't actually want to know. Now I know.
feel better soon - is it the flu or something ?
Old 11-23-2013, 11:48 PM   #34
Soldier
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCStrong View Post
feel better soon - is it the flu or something ?
Naw, just one of those 24 hour bugs that make their way around this time of year. My daughter got it, I got it, and now my wife doesn't feel so hot either.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:21 PM   #35
Soldier
Max Brawn

I'm definitely doing an article on the progressive movement training I've been doing. I'm going to wait until I'm done though so I can give a thorough review with videos and results. Suffice to say it's crazy how fast you can adapt to new ranges of motion that you haven't trained with exclusivity.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:46 PM   #36
Soldier
Max Brawn

In the last 2 days I've experienced something very new to me; my appetite has all but disappeared. Not only did I get pretty sick (stomach-wise) only a couple days ago, but we are also experiencing unseasonably cold weather. That combined with lots of busy-ness at work has left me with no interest at all in food. I'm eating around my workouts and at dinner time partially because of habit and partially because I know I need to keep up my intake.

Is this how the people who always wine about not being able to eat enough food feel all the time? What a horrible way to go through life, lol.

Last edited by Soldier; 11-25-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:40 PM   #37
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Quote:
In the last 2 days I've experienced something very new to me; my appetite has all but disappeared. Not only did I get pretty sick (stomach-wise) only a couple days ago, but we are also experiencing unseasonably cold weather. That combined with lots of busy-ness at work has left me with no interest at all in food. I'm eating around my workouts and at dinner time partially because of habit and partially because I know I need to keep up my intake.

Is this how the people who always wine about not being able to eat enough food feel all the time? What a horrible way to go through life, lol.

Been there. Not fun!

But the other extreme is also frustrating.

I cant get full, and its pissing me off

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:57 PM   #38
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:

I get that way when my CNS is fried and I need a deload or week off. When I do take the necessary rest time and come back I am always amazed at just how huge of an impact lifting normally has on my appetite.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:31 PM   #39
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:

I've had that feeling after food poisoning. Mentally I wanted to eat but physically I couldn't do it.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:27 PM   #40
Soldier
Max Brawn

Back when I was in AIT (Army job training) I had a group of guys who went to the gym with me. They knew that I knew my stuff and generally listened to me, so I wanted to give them a good, simple program that would give them all what they were looking for whether it was strength, performance, or size. This is the basic template we all used and everyone was happy with thier results, so I thought I'd throw it out here.

Be forewarned, there's nothing ground-breaking here.

Each session was quick and simple, with only 3 movements. We alternated upper and lower body, sometimes going all 5 weekdays in a row. Each session involved 1 heavy compound movement done for low-mid reps and 2 isolation/assistance movements done for mid-high reps.

On upper body days we would simply alternate which muscle group got used on the compound movement. So we would hit chest with a compound movement, then do shoulders and back after with higher reps, then the next day we would start with back, the next day shoulders, then back to chest. It was painfully simple.

So a week would look like this-

Day 1-
Bench, 5x5
Pullups, 5x5-8
Lateral raise, 5x8-12

Day 2-
Squat, 5x5
SLDL, 5x8-12
Leg extension, 5x10-20

Day 3-
Chest supported rows- 5x5
Cable X-overs- 5x10-20
Dumbell OHP- 5x8-12

Day 4-
Leg press- 5x5
SLDL- 5x8-12
Leg extension, 5x10-20

Day 5-
OHP, 5x5
Pulldowns, 5x8-12
Dumbell incline bench, 5x8-12

All we tried to do was PR the first movement of the day, either with volume, rep PR, or weight PR. These sessions never took over an hour.

Don't underestimate what higher frequency/lower volume can do. This was perfect for us because;
1. We didn't have much time. If we trained too long then we would miss our window to eat at the dining facility and have to buy the meal. Not good to do every day.
2. We couldn't get ourselves too sore. We had to do PT every day and if anything was overly sore it would really hinder our ability to keep up during PT.

Last edited by Soldier; 11-26-2013 at 12:30 PM.