Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:38 PM   #11
Ryano
Max Brawn
Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 30
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: Buttweiser
Ryano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master member

If you disagree with me, you are wrong.....and you know it.LOL
Old 11-12-2013, 07:51 PM   #12
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Haha, you guys are hilarious. Leave all the posts, of course! Hopefully I'll get to do some writing tomorrow, but literally 1 minute after my initial post I got a new assignment that's going to keep me busy all week.

That's what I get, huh?
Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:56 PM   #13
Soldier
Max Brawn

Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Ok, first random, short post, which will be really disappointing compared to what I had planned.

If you're making hamburgers and you can't get the patties to form right, start by taking cold ground beef and knead it like bread dough, squeezing it between your fingers until it gets a smooth texture.

I find it really easy to make patties after kneading. Another trick I like is to chop up some onions and mix them in when I knead the meat.

I know, totally disappointing right? The burgers sure were good though!
Old 11-12-2013, 08:24 PM   #14
Soldier
Max Brawn

Am I the only one who routinely fantasizes about going back in time? Not like me going back as the person I am now, but going back and replacing the person I was. I'd go back to middle school and ask that one girl out. That one girl, the one I spent all those hours thinking about and dreaming about. I'd go up without a second thought and say "Hey, you wanna hang out some time?" She'd probably say "No thanks", and I'd move on with my life. Or she'd say ok and I'd find out that she wasn't nearly as great as I made her out to be.

Or I'd go back to high school and instead of ruining my shoulders by playing football I'd lift weights, get jacked and stay in the band. Yup, the band. My sister got a music scholarship that helped her get a degree from UF. I'd focus on academics, play in the band, go to college, then get a good job and never end up joining the Army.

The funny thing is, the older I get, the more I long for the old days. Not for what they were, but what I could have made them knowing what I know now. One of the big things I think about is my fitness and strength levels.

Just imagine it! Go back to high school, start a solid progressive lifting routine, eat right and do things right. God, I could have really made something of it.

I know I'm not the only one who thinks about that, right?
Old 11-12-2013, 08:35 PM   #15
Soldier
Max Brawn

But that's why guys like me are in places like this. We are trying to do what we can to make sure other people don't make the mistakes and waist all the time we did. It's also why we get so damn frustrated when people DON'T LISTEN. Some things we emphasize are really different from what young guys are hearing from their friends and coaches and reading in magazines, and they just can't believe that we are right and they are all wrong.

They are though. They're wrong. Most coaches, especially. Asking a football coach to help you lift is like asking a medical doctor for nutritional advice. On the surface it sounds like a good idea and when they answer your questions they do it with confidence and conviction, but the truth is that they usually have no fucking clue what they are talking about.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:31 AM   #16
Bronco
Cool Guy
Brawn
Points: 1,448, Level: 21 Points: 1,448, Level: 21 Points: 1,448, Level: 21
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2
Fav Supp: Chicken
Bronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
Am I the only one who routinely fantasizes about going back in time? Not like me going back as the person I am now, but going back and replacing the person I was. I'd go back to middle school and ask that one girl out. That one girl, the one I spent all those hours thinking about and dreaming about. I'd go up without a second thought and say "Hey, you wanna hang out some time?" She'd probably say "No thanks", and I'd move on with my life. Or she'd say ok and I'd find out that she wasn't nearly as great as I made her out to be.

Or I'd go back to high school and instead of ruining my shoulders by playing football I'd lift weights, get jacked and stay in the band. Yup, the band. My sister got a music scholarship that helped her get a degree from UF. I'd focus on academics, play in the band, go to college, then get a good job and never end up joining the Army.

The funny thing is, the older I get, the more I long for the old days. Not for what they were, but what I could have made them knowing what I know now. One of the big things I think about is my fitness and strength levels.

Just imagine it! Go back to high school, start a solid progressive lifting routine, eat right and do things right. God, I could have really made something of it.

I know I'm not the only one who thinks about that, right?
so wait, are you saying you still want to bang middle schoolers?

but seriously, i think about that stuff too. i try not to. i think it may not be healthy. i try to focus on the present as much as possible.
Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #17
Beverly McD
Max Brawn
Points: 2,218, Level: 28 Points: 2,218, Level: 28 Points: 2,218, Level: 28
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: Since 1987
Beverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryano View Post
If you disagree with me, you are wrong.....and you know it.LOL
Roger, are you getting in touch with your feminine side???
Beverly McD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:01 PM   #18
Soldier
Max Brawn

At what point does stressing about things become counterproductive? I know that studies show that a fat-based, carb free breakfast helps prime the body to burn more fat during the day, and I know that routine fasting has positive health effects, especially on the metabolism. I also know that avoiding high GI carbs most of the time helps to increase insulin sensativity, but at what point do you just say "OK, I've got enough on my list of things to worry about, I'm not going to worry about X and Y."

Case in point, I read about a study that showed that hot showers reduce testosterone levels. I've also heard that hot water increases inflamation, which sounds bad, but then I read that inflamation is good as long as it isn't acute. Anyways, I find hot showers relaxing. Extremely relaxing. And they help me sleep. And being relaxed, avoiding stress and getting good sleep are all supposed to be good for your hormonal profile. So should I take hot showers or not? I think this one goes over the line and gets filed in the "screw it, I'm not going to worry about it" file.

All I can say is this; if you find yourself stressing about your beloved hot showers and how they might affect your free test levels, you probably need someone to slap you in the face and tell you to settle the hell down. You also need to go do some squats, because while you were contemplating the latest controversial studies your friends were all lifting, eating, and getting stronger than you.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #19
Soldier
Max Brawn

Black people and white people can sometimes be VERY different from one another. But sometimes white people and other white people are very different from one another, and sometimes black people and other black people are very different from one another. Racism is based in generalizations, and it IS possible to acknowledge that there are some differences between people of different races and cultural backgrounds without generalizing those differences.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #20
Soldier
Max Brawn

On the radio I heard about a Rabbi who bought a desk for $200. While attempting to get it into his office he was dissapointed to find that it just barely didn't fit through the door, by only a fraction of an inch. While taking apart the desk to get it through the door he found a bag full of $98,000 hidden in the desk.

He's a freaking Rabbi, of course, so he returned the money. Even though he didn't ask for/want a reward, the seller refunded his $200 and gave him a reward of an undisclosed sum.

More power to him, but I'll openly admit this now- HELL NO I wouldn't return the money if I were in that position. That seller isn't going to miss something they didn't know they had, and I sure as hell would miss something I found and gave back! Keeping the money is a win-win as far as I'm concerned. Maybe I'm just pandering to my greedy side, but screw it. yolo.

I'd buy a leg press and a power rack. I'd also buy a really fast car. I'd use the rest to pay off most of my house and have some left over for a huge down payment on a second house that I would rent out.

If I were a religious man, though? I'd return it. I know how those people think. They look for opportunities to show god's grace by doing the right thing, and the bigger the better. Does that make them better than me? Nope.

They're doing something because someone they never met said "Hey, dude, do good things for people and I'll let you in Heaven. It's sweet. We have cotton candy, and not the kind in the bag that you think is going to be awesome but totally isn't, and you realize that the reason you love cotton candy isn't because cotton candy is awesome, but rather because you only ever got cotton candy while you were also at a carnival. There's funnel cake too."

But me, I'm doing something because of a well thought out ethical train of thought that makes sense on a number of levels. And also because I want a fast car.

I guess the thing that gets me the most is that some people won't even think about the decision. They'll say "of COURSE I'd X, or of COURSE I'd Y." I could only take someone seriously if they at least stopped for a second and thought about it. There is no wrong decision, as long as it's YOUR decision.