Muscle and Brawn Forums
 

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013, 02:40 PM   #1
JumpmanRugs
Senior Member
Max Brawn
 
JumpmanRugs's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 535
Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squat / Deadlift
Fav Supp: Motivation
Reputation: 10351
JumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributor
Default Dumbbells vs Barbells

I love Barbells. I'm not a big fan of dumbbell movements too much, however I feel I should be adding them in more.

Now my question is this, what are the benefits of DB Bench over BB Bench?

I find BB Bench quite uncomfortable when I get to heavy loads. Not uncomfortable because of the weight, but I have long arms and it just feels uncomfortable sometimes (Not all the time). I have focused on my form a lot and changed that, but I just prefer lifting with DB's.

Pro's and con's to each? Your experiences?

Thanks guys!
JumpmanRugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #2
jiorio95
Senior Member
Max Brawn
 
jiorio95's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 2,678
Fav Exercise: Squat
Reputation: 183514
jiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master member
Default

Personally, I'm a barbell guy. I used to use dumbbells for everything but progression and growth were slow, got turned on to barbells and progression and growth are constantly improving.

Just my experience, the pro's to barbells are more weight and more muscles used. Because of that I can always get 5-10 more lbs out of my compounds on a consistent basis.

Whenever I use dumbbells it's to hit a specific area, but I'm not a bodybuilder nor a guy who is large enough to have specific areas that are lagging, so I don't use them too often.

I guess it depends on what your goals are.
jiorio95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #3
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
 
5kgLifter's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,927
Training Type: Other
Reputation: 646483
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!
Default

I prefer to do a percentage of DB presses within any press set-up purely because they target more stabilisers than the barbell work does.
__________________
36.5 kg /80.3 lb Middle-Finger DL (right hand)...
5kgLifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:29 PM   #4
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
 
EliteDreams's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: N Ga Mountains
Posts: 6,005
Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
Reputation: 505869
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!
Default

What are your goals? There is absolutely nothing wrong with dumbell benching.

You may just keep playing around with your barbell form, grip width, where you touch etc.
__________________
Hunger. Hate. Recoil.
EliteDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:10 PM   #5
gaspers04
Senior Member
Max Brawn
 
gaspers04's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North Central Illinois
Posts: 5,527
Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
Fav Supp: Food
Reputation: 186096
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member
Default

BBs here. I feel that you are limited in progression at some point with DBs.
__________________



Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.
gaspers04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:32 PM   #6
CountryFriedMuscle
Senior Member
Max Brawn
 
CountryFriedMuscle's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: VA
Posts: 613
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Reputation: 16971
CountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributor
Default

As EltieDreams said, a lot of this depends on your goals. If you want to be a powerlifter, you are going to have to use the barbell at some point. However, if you are more interested in aestetics or general strength, then there is no real need to do the barbell bench press. Lots of old school bodybuilders and olympic lifters didn't do very many bench presses and were bull strong and looked good. Its all about what your goals are.
__________________
Best Lifts:
Squat/Bench/Deadlift (445/300/500)
Axle Press (270x4), Log Press (255x1), Farmer's (215/hand, 50 ft), Strict Press (225x1
CountryFriedMuscle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:40 PM   #7
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn
 
jdmalm123's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,452
Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: the one that doesn't hurt
Fav Supp: Milk
Reputation: 519234
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!
Default

BBs for pure strength

DBs for "lighter" assistance, stabilizers, better ROM, unilateral training
__________________
"...strength is built one recovery day at a time..." -OMP

Best PL total: 1020
Real time total: 880 3/31
jdmalm123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:41 PM   #8
Dray
physical culturalist
Max Brawn
 
Dray's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: tldu
Posts: 4,859
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: all of them
Reputation: 324753
Dray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite member
Default

I like doing both, for the time being anyway. Of course, there will come a time when I run out of dumbells, and this would be inevitable for most lifters I guess.

They "feel" different, and it seems to me DB bench works more chest, or works it differently, or something.
__________________
Squat 160kg (352.7lbs), Bench 115kg (252.5lbs), Deadlift 220kg (485lbs)
Front Squat 130kg (286.6lbs), Strict Press 80kg (176.4lbs), Chinups +30kg (+66.1lbs)

My training log
Dray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:26 AM   #9
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
 
EliteDreams's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: N Ga Mountains
Posts: 6,005
Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
Reputation: 505869
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspers04 View Post
BBs here. I feel that you are limited in progression at some point with DBs.
Great point. Hard to get big dumbells in place when your as strong as Gasp.
__________________
Hunger. Hate. Recoil.
EliteDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:53 AM   #10
JumpmanRugs
Senior Member
Max Brawn
 
JumpmanRugs's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 535
Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squat / Deadlift
Fav Supp: Motivation
Reputation: 10351
JumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributor
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiorio95 View Post
Personally, I'm a barbell guy. I used to use dumbbells for everything but progression and growth were slow, got turned on to barbells and progression and growth are constantly improving.

Just my experience, the pro's to barbells are more weight and more muscles used. Because of that I can always get 5-10 more lbs out of my compounds on a consistent basis.

Whenever I use dumbbells it's to hit a specific area, but I'm not a bodybuilder nor a guy who is large enough to have specific areas that are lagging, so I don't use them too often.

I guess it depends on what your goals are.
I prefer Barbells for exercises, and while I do enjoy the barbell bench I find it uncomfortable and awkward for my body, however with Dumbbells I don't, plus it feels like something is actually working.

Do you really think there are more muscles used on Barbells? I would have thought the other way around, I always find my muscles being more taxed by DB's but my CNS being taxed more by the Barbells.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
I prefer to do a percentage of DB presses within any press set-up purely because they target more stabilisers than the barbell work does.
Yeah I'm really preffering having them in my program instead of doing a Barbell press.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteDreams View Post
What are your goals? There is absolutely nothing wrong with dumbell benching.

You may just keep playing around with your barbell form, grip width, where you touch etc.
Goals are just to get stronger generally. I want to get stronger and put on some size. Barbell has been useful and I've made gains with it, but unfortunately I just find it uncomfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspers04 View Post
BBs here. I feel that you are limited in progression at some point with DBs.
Yeah I see your point, but I think when I get to that point I'll go back to BB and see how that goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFriedMuscle View Post
As EltieDreams said, a lot of this depends on your goals. If you want to be a powerlifter, you are going to have to use the barbell at some point. However, if you are more interested in aestetics or general strength, then there is no real need to do the barbell bench press. Lots of old school bodybuilders and olympic lifters didn't do very many bench presses and were bull strong and looked good. Its all about what your goals are.
Never want to be a powerlifter buddy (At least not for the foreseeable future) as basketball is the goal. General strength I guess would be the classification with some strong aesthetics (Not BB aesthetics, but strength training aesthetic but i know that will come with strength gain).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmalm123 View Post
BBs for pure strength

DBs for "lighter" assistance, stabilizers, better ROM, unilateral training
Sounds like your DB benefits are better for your overall gains from what you have said! I realise you can push more weight with BB's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dray View Post
I like doing both, for the time being anyway. Of course, there will come a time when I run out of dumbells, and this would be inevitable for most lifters I guess.

They "feel" different, and it seems to me DB bench works more chest, or works it differently, or something.
I do enjoy both, but as I've said already it's a bit uncomfortable for me when I start pushing more weight. It's not uncomfortable in the way that it is because I'm pushing myself, but it's uncomfortable because I've long arms and they feel uncomfortable when at the bottom of the lift. I think I'm going to stick with DB's until I can't lift them without a challenge anymore, which I'm going to assume will take a little while!

I know what you mean about it working differently, I feel the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteDreams View Post
Great point. Hard to get big dumbells in place when your as strong as Gasp.
I want to get to those massive dumbbells lol!
JumpmanRugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3 Day a Week Home Chest Workout with Dumbbells I WILL Muscle Building and Bodybuilding 7 08-01-2013 03:17 AM
Beards and Barbells - The Log of No Goals BendtheBar Training Logs 149 01-22-2013 01:11 AM
powerblock dumbbells Bill Muscle Building and Bodybuilding 3 10-05-2012 10:48 AM
Powerarm Barbells! BendtheBar General Board 3 03-17-2012 09:14 AM
Dumbbells vs Barbells? massiveguns Muscle Building and Bodybuilding 15 11-28-2011 02:17 PM

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.