Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Default Calf Training

When building your calves, obviously progression is a big deal, just like any other body part. I'm curious about ROM though. Do I need to be using weight light enough that I can get all the way up on my toes for each rep, or go heavy enough that I'm still clearly coming a decent way off the floor but not to that full extension?
Old 10-28-2013, 02:20 PM   #2
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

When I trained calfs more directly, what worked best for me was a straight-legged (like a donkey calf raise) and a bent-kneed (seated) calf raise. I think you may need both. And try to get full extension on both.

Last edited by MC; 10-28-2013 at 02:49 PM.
MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:27 PM   #3
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteforce View Post
When building your calves, obviously progression is a big deal, just like any other body part. I'm curious about ROM though. Do I need to be using weight light enough that I can get all the way up on my toes for each rep, or go heavy enough that I'm still clearly coming a decent way off the floor but not to that full extension?
I vary, start heavy with limited rom and dropset down to very strict and slow contractions using a light weight. I think its important with full rom.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:38 PM   #4
JumpmanRugs
Max Brawn
Points: 2,181, Level: 28 Points: 2,181, Level: 28 Points: 2,181, Level: 28
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squat / Deadlift
Fav Supp: Motivation
JumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributor

Right now I'm starting to do more as mine had power but lacked behind a bit.

I'm seeing development from doing lighter weights with controlled negatives and time under tension as my focus. Full ROM.
JumpmanRugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC View Post
When I trained calfs more directly, what worked best for me was a straight-legged (like a donkey calf raise) and a bent-kneed (seated) calf raise. I think you may need both. And try to get full extension on both.
That's a point I hadn't considered.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:13 PM   #6
Proteinshake03
EFX-AllNattyBro
New Brawn
Points: 97, Level: 1 Points: 97, Level: 1 Points: 97, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 10
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Proteinshake03 is off to a good startProteinshake03 is off to a good startProteinshake03 is off to a good startProteinshake03 is off to a good start

I definitely think a combination of both are helpful. As well as doing high volume sets and low volume heavy weight sets. Full rom is obviously important but even if you don't get quite get full motion at the top as long as your able to get a good squeeze in your calves, but the stretch at the bottom is definitely important, but as you know with anything trial and error.
Proteinshake03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:57 PM   #7
Iron_Addict82
Brawn
Points: 1,191, Level: 18 Points: 1,191, Level: 18 Points: 1,191, Level: 18
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: Not enough
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Beta Alanine
Iron_Addict82 has made some very good postsIron_Addict82 has made some very good postsIron_Addict82 has made some very good postsIron_Addict82 has made some very good postsIron_Addict82 has made some very good postsIron_Addict82 has made some very good postsIron_Addict82 has made some very good postsIron_Addict82 has made some very good postsIron_Addict82 has made some very good postsIron_Addict82 has made some very good postsIron_Addict82 has made some very good posts

Ive only been training for a year and half but I've found the horizontal hammer strength machine to be awesome. I do 3 sets of 45 with decent weight. I do 15 toes pointed inward, 15 toes straight and 15 toes pointed inward. Now since I'm fairly new to this but I've seen great growth. controlled negatives and a pause at top.
Iron_Addict82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:25 AM   #8
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteforce View Post
I always do full ROM and have no rep range; I take them suckers to burning failure, works a treat.

Several sets to failure, little break, just enough to let the cramping subside
Old 04-19-2014, 05:58 PM   #9
Biggraygrizzly
Brawn
Points: 989, Level: 16 Points: 989, Level: 16 Points: 989, Level: 16
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 32
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Beef Aminos
Biggraygrizzly has made some very good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some very good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some very good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some very good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some very good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some very good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some very good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some very good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some very good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some very good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some very good posts

I just posted on which body part lags, I say use a weight heavy to stimulate a burn but light enough to get full range of motion, and when you hit the wall on ROM do partials and my opinion go for the burn that they way to go.
Biggraygrizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:33 PM   #10
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Full ROM with a slower tempo and no bounce is going to be the best for hypertrophy. Focus on getting a big stretch, pause for a second, then explode up to a full squeeze at the top. People like to talk about going to failure, but honestly, volume and TUT are going to be more important than how painful the set was. 10 sets of 10 that don't hurt are basically the same as 4 sets of 25 with lots of burn, and the work can be done in almost the same amount of time because much less recovery time will be needed between sets.