Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:50 PM   #981
JD85
Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

JD85 is new to the forumJD85 is new to the forumJD85 is new to the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Excellent.

Good progress. My main advice is to keep at it. 2-3 months isn't a long time. It will take 2-3 years to put some quality size on.

I suggest measuring your quads every 2 months so you have a measuring stick as to how things are going. If you are not seeing a consistent size increase these are some likely reasons:

1) You need more leg volume.
2) You need more food.

Because your upper body is growing, I am wagering that you need more stimulation.

I would add in leg presses.

You might want to modify your 5x5 to an A/B split an alternate between front squats and leg presses. I would also increase the front squat reps to 8 to 10 per set. Something like:

Workout A - Front squat 4-5 sets x 8-10 reps
Workout B - Leg press 4-5 sets x 15-20 reps

Also, you didn't mention your weight.
Thanks for your help. My weight is around 230lbs. I think some muscle memory played a part because I have gotten big before, but for some stupid reason I stopped lifting. But I plan on staying with this long-term and I really appreciate your advice.

I'd love to add in leg press but I only have access to free weights right now. Do you know of any other good free weight exercises that target quads? Maybe should I add in some regular squats or stiff-legged deadlifts (for hamstrings)?

Last edited by JD85; 10-22-2013 at 09:55 PM.
JD85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2013, 09:00 AM   #982
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD85 View Post

I'd love to add in leg press but I only have access to free weights right now. Do you know of any other good free weight exercises that target quads? Maybe should I add in some regular squats or stiff-legged deadlifts (for hamstrings)?
My first recommendation would be squats. After that I would try barbell or dumbbell lunges, and/or goblet squats.

Squats are always your best bet.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:02 AM   #983
CountryFriedMuscle
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,780, Level: 24 Points: 1,780, Level: 24 Points: 1,780, Level: 24
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Log Press
CountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributor

BBOD, I have become a big fan after checking out your youtube channel and wanted to get your advice on something. I convinced my training partner to try the cube method with me, with some mediocre results on his end. He has typically relied on higher frequency and volume routines (specifically sheiko) or a conjugate method variation. I promised him I would give one of these methods the ole college try since he was nice enough to try my way. BUT! I have never used either and can't decide which poison to pick. For the raw lifter, do you think one method is substantially superior to the other?
CountryFriedMuscle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #984
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFriedMuscle View Post
BBOD, I have become a big fan after checking out your youtube channel
Thanks CFM,

Quote:
and wanted to get your advice on something.
Glad to help.

Quote:
I convinced my training partner to try the cube method with me, with some mediocre results on his end. He has typically relied on higher frequency and volume routines (specifically sheiko) or a conjugate method variation. I promised him I would give one of these methods the ole college try since he was nice enough to try my way. BUT! I have never used either and can't decide which poison to pick. For the raw lifter, do you think one method is substantially superior to the other?
Good question.

Sheiko is brutal, and I don't personally recommend doing it unless you are at a period of your life where you are able to rest and eat liberally. I have a formula when it comes to volume work...more volume, more food and rest.

Regarding the conjugate, it can be performed wrong. I recommend for intermediates that you approach it in a simple manner. Do your speed and max effort work, but structure your assistance work to do one thing...make every body part from head to toe as strong as possible. Heavy rows, overhead presses, the entire kitchen sink.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:51 AM   #985
CountryFriedMuscle
Uber Brawn

CountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Sheiko is brutal, and I don't personally recommend doing it unless you are at a period of your life where you are able to rest and eat liberally. I have a formula when it comes to volume work...more volume, more food and rest.
This is exactly the thing stopping me from just saying yes to sheiko. I am still in college and working, so I am quite busy as it is. Adding 2-3 hour training session on top of it just seems like asking for trouble, especially when I have never done something with that much volume.

Quote:
Regarding the conjugate, it can be performed wrong. I recommend for intermediates that you approach it in a simple manner. Do your speed and max effort work, but structure your assistance work to do one thing...make every body part from head to toe as strong as possible. Heavy rows, overhead presses, the entire kitchen sink.
Makes sense, and my partner and I had already talked about this. Less emphasis on "training weak points" and more of an emphasis on just building up the body in general. With any luck I can just convince him to run the cube again as I feel its working well. I I think he just needs to add a second bench day, that seems the far easier solution. But I digress....
Old 10-24-2013, 11:22 AM   #986
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
This is exactly the thing stopping me from just saying yes to sheiko. I am still in college and working, so I am quite busy as it is. Adding 2-3 hour training session on top of it just seems like asking for trouble, especially when I have never done something with that much volume.

Makes sense, and my partner and I had already talked about this. Less emphasis on "training weak points" and more of an emphasis on just building up the body in general. With any luck I can just convince him to run the cube again as I feel its working well. I I think he just needs to add a second bench day, that seems the far easier solution. But I digress....
Not familiar with the cube. Does it follow a specific preiodization for the main lifts?

If so you could maybe run a Cube/Conjugate hybrid

Old 10-24-2013, 11:34 AM   #987
CountryFriedMuscle
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Not familiar with the cube. Does it follow a specific preiodization for the main lifts?

If so you could maybe run a Cube/Conjugate hybrid

Yes it does, the gist of it is you rotate emphasis on each of the lifts week to week. So first week would be heavy squat, explosive bench, repetition deadlift. The next would be explosive squat, rep bench, heavy deadlift. 3rd week would be rep squat, heavy bench, explosive deadlift. And then it all starts over. There is a specific outline of % 's to follow for each of the week over a 9 week cycle, but it can also be done just using the "idea" of the day. Honestly, I think he just needs a bit more bench volume to make it work.

I have been hitting PR's on all 3 lifts, most of them substantial. He has been hitting really solid PR's on squats and deadlifts, but his bench just doesn't seem to be improving. He believes its due to lack of volume/frequency.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #988
donaldbell8
Points: 140, Level: 2 Points: 140, Level: 2 Points: 140, Level: 2
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 18 years off and on
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Beast mode
donaldbell8 is new to the forumdonaldbell8 is new to the forumdonaldbell8 is new to the forum

Steve Do you think over head shoulder press helps in anyway with any aspect of the bench press.
donaldbell8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #989
TDawg75
Team Koolaid Man
Max Brawn
Points: 3,495, Level: 36 Points: 3,495, Level: 36 Points: 3,495, Level: 36
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: since 5/15/13
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: buffet plate carry
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
TDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machine

Two more questions, Steve.

1- I will be doing my first competition in March. My usual plan is a 5x5 variant. As I get closer to the comp I will probably switch to something like a 5,4,3,2,1 rep scheme to concentrate more on strength. How far out should I do this switch, or should I do a switch like this at all?

2- How da hell did you build your traps?

That is all, big guy. Thanks for helping out us noobs!

Gym pr's- bench 330, DL 405, squat 450
Meet pr's- bench 350, dl 425, squat tbd
My new training log- http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17510
TDawg75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:20 PM   #990
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Yes it does, the gist of it is you rotate emphasis on each of the lifts week to week. So first week would be heavy squat, explosive bench, repetition deadlift. The next would be explosive squat, rep bench, heavy deadlift. 3rd week would be rep squat, heavy bench, explosive deadlift. And then it all starts over. There is a specific outline of % 's to follow for each of the week over a 9 week cycle, but it can also be done just using the "idea" of the day. Honestly, I think he just needs a bit more bench volume to make it work.

I have been hitting PR's on all 3 lifts, most of them substantial. He has been hitting really solid PR's on squats and deadlifts, but his bench just doesn't seem to be improving. He believes its due to lack of volume/frequency.
Most times the best approach is to try and get his chest, shoulders and triceps as strong as possible.

If I were you I would ask to do the Cube for the main lifts, and then structure the assistance work in a conjugate style.