Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Exercise Form
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Exercise Form Videos, articles and resources to help you with your squat, deadlift, bench press form and more.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:39 AM   #411
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDawg75 View Post
Uploading this for a depth check. You can't really tell much about my form here (other than it is one of my heavy sets and I get a little squirrelly on the upstroke, lol) But I am more concerned with my depth. Is this low enough for a USAPL competition meet? Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82mobYVz3r0
Depth looks good to me.

I don't think you'll have any issues getting white lights in the USAPL.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2013, 09:46 AM   #412
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalfry View Post
Posting this from my phone - hopefully the video posts OK.

Recently strained my back which made me re evaluate my squat and deadlift form. I went super light and am focusing on my form as I slowly increase the weight.

Here's a side view of my squats. deadlift video to follow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obMFfOHUX6c

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Your lower back is round and you are falling forward as you try to reach depth. The bar is not staying over the middle of your toes.

To me it looks like your knee alignment is inside your foot alignment, but it's hard to tell form that angle. This could be a major contributing factor. Knees have to be out on wide stance squats.

Honestly I would bring your stance in some and work on depth and staying upright, then move it out if needed.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	alfry.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	11531  

Old 10-21-2013, 09:51 AM   #413
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalfry View Post
And here's a front view of my sumo deadlift.
Your grip is too wide. Your arms need for be at a 90 degree angle to the ground. This will maximize the upright position and leverage. You need to sink your hips and stick your chest out. Your head is way forward of the bar and this is causing a decrease in leverage and pulling power.

Quote:
And a side view of my standard deads
Not bad. Watch your head position. In moves forward of the bar then pulls back in right before the pull. If you pull with it forward, before you get it set, you're going to RDL the deadlift.

Get your grip, lock your arms, stand up as tall as possible, sink your hips then pull.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:16 AM   #414
bigalfry
Max Brawn
Points: 4,796, Level: 44 Points: 4,796, Level: 44 Points: 4,796, Level: 44
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Exp: 12
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Bench
Fav Supp: Beef
bigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Your lower back is round and you are falling forward as you try to reach depth. The bar is not staying over the middle of your toes.

To me it looks like your knee alignment is inside your foot alignment, but it's hard to tell form that angle. This could be a major contributing factor. Knees have to be out on wide stance squats.

Honestly I would bring your stance in some and work on depth and staying upright, then move it out if needed.

Quote:
Your grip is too wide. Your arms need for be at a 90 degree angle to the ground. This will maximize the upright position and leverage. You need to sink your hips and stick your chest out. Your head is way forward of the bar and this is causing a decrease in leverage and pulling power.

Not bad. Watch your head position. In moves forward of the bar then pulls back in right before the pull. If you pull with it forward, before you get it set, you're going to RDL the deadlift.

Get your grip, lock your arms, stand up as tall as possible, sink your hips then pull.

Thanks BTB. I try to take in everything you say like a sponge.
I'll work on these for a bit and then take some new videos in a few weeks.
Deadlift 425
Total = 1061

Meet PRs:
TBD

Training Log:
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17327
bigalfry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:43 AM   #415
TDawg75
Team Koolaid Man
Max Brawn
Points: 3,495, Level: 36 Points: 3,495, Level: 36 Points: 3,495, Level: 36
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: since 5/15/13
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: buffet plate carry
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
TDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Depth looks good to me.

I don't think you'll have any issues getting white lights in the USAPL.
Thanks, Steve! It would really suck to make it to a competition and find that I haven't been going low enough.

Gym pr's- bench 330, DL 405, squat 450
Meet pr's- bench 350, dl 425, squat tbd
My new training log- http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17510
TDawg75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:35 PM   #416
mustafa604
Brawn
Points: 160, Level: 3 Points: 160, Level: 3 Points: 160, Level: 3
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

mustafa604 has made some quality postsmustafa604 has made some quality postsmustafa604 has made some quality postsmustafa604 has made some quality postsmustafa604 has made some quality postsmustafa604 has made some quality posts

I am 6.8 tall and 339lbs and was wondering if I am doing the squat and deadlift correct? Or what I need improvement on? Thanks

Last edited by BendtheBar; 11-01-2013 at 06:04 PM.
mustafa604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:04 PM   #417
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Deadlifts look fine. Squats you need to open your knees and get deeper.

Keep practicing and post updates every month or so.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:16 PM   #418
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustafa604 View Post
I am 6.8 tall and 339lbs and was wondering if I am doing the squat and deadlift correct? Or what I need improvement on? Thanks

Watch this Mustafa

Old 11-15-2013, 03:18 AM   #419
notti668
Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Type: Powerlifting
notti668 is off to a bad start
Default Lumbar flexion & DL

Been following BTB's videos on Youtube for a good while now but never actually came here to see what the forum holds. Anyway, I might need some help with my deadlift form.

Below is a video of my third DL set (x5) of the day. After warmups (foam rolling, mobility work and other small things + several lighter DL sets) I felt great and ended up using approximately 90% of my 1RM on the working sets. Haven't worn any gear in ages and I prefer to do all my lifts raw. Once I watched the set from my camera I noticed that I have a slight lumbar flexion during the execution of the lift. Additionally the speed wasn't up to where it should be. After that third set I deloaded the bar and tried to concentrate on fixing the flexion but with no results. I'm aware that I have had the same problem in the past but I think it's finally time to work on it. Could you give any advices what should I do to have more neutral spine during the lift? If you watch closely, the back rounds a bit already when I grab the bar and pull my hips lower.

Could it be that the problem lies with my setup? I prefer to brace the core the Supple Leopard/Starrett-way. Due to my height and length of my limbs I place the bar several inches away from my shins. Getting my shins closer doesn't do a thing to the flexion and I feel way, way weaker during the lift than having the bar more away from me. Nowadays I concentrate going a bit lower with my hips just so I can use more leg drive in the beginning of the lift. It seems that my hips don't shoot up before the weight (apart from the last rep on the video) so I don't see any problem with it. I don't know if I should open up my chest even more before the actual lift but I fear that might put my hips too low. I'm aware that I don't always manage to keep my chin tucked with the heavier sets but I'm getting there training day after training day.

Is my mobility the limiting factor here? Usually I do mobility work every day and prior to DL day I spend roughly 10-15 minutes with my hip flexors the evening before the training day just to open them up more for the deadlifts.

Am I lost with the awareness of using my body or have I just created a poor technique by doing the same thing again and again? Pavel's advice of imaging having a tail and his cue about the wedge in the deadlift flattens the back but at the same time gives just temporary stability on the anterior core from the minor overextension of the spine. Additionally, using the wedge causes me to lose the bracing of the core.

Should I just concentrate on anterior core work (rollout variations, TRX exercises, reverse crunches, different bridging variations) even more from now on to strengthen the lower back and to keep it from rounding?

Am I chasing something I can't reach and thus overanalyzing things? Or should I use less weights for volume block's 5 rep sets in order to be better at controlling the lower back more? The minor lumbar flexion doesn't cause any pain and my CNS doesn't get fried due to those heavy sets so I can do them weekly without any problems.

Of course I'm aware that the problem could be part of all those things mentioned above.

If anyone spots any other mistakes in the video, feel free to comment. Any help is appreciated.

/watch?v=g4cjuSnaA6k

(the video is in youtube so add the site's address to the beginning of the URL above 'cause as a new user I wasn't able to post URL in my message)

Last edited by notti668; 11-15-2013 at 03:21 AM.
notti668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:40 PM   #420
vuleje
New Brawn
Points: 903, Level: 16 Points: 903, Level: 16 Points: 903, Level: 16
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

vuleje is off to a bad start

I am new to deadlifting, pls critique as much as u can, so i can fix it.

vuleje is offline   Reply With Quote