Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:23 AM   #11
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach90 View Post
why would you spot someone doing a jerk. thats a major injury waiting to happen if he misses or has to dump it which apparently happened.
Iwould have thought if you were using bumper plates and a proper oly station then you would just dump the bar, rather than have someone standing by you trying to catch the bar!!!

Obviously accidents can happen in whatever sport, the fact that oly lifts are fast, explosive etc MAY make then slightly more dangerous that some other lifts, but then again the benefits are great and its not like people have NEVER got hurt benching, squatting, even curling etc...

just my 2p worth...
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #12
zach90
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,786, Level: 24 Points: 1,786, Level: 24 Points: 1,786, Level: 24
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 6 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: curls... lol jk DEADS
Fav Supp: moe food
zach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
Exactly! Olympic lifts are more dangerous and less effective for developing all facets of strength. bam.
you miss interpret me sir. im saying why would you anybody spot sombody who is doing a jerk. the jerk itself is not the dangerous part its the fool whos standing behind the person putting weight over their head
zach90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:45 PM   #13
Kleurplaay
Max Brawn
Points: 2,525, Level: 30 Points: 2,525, Level: 30 Points: 2,525, Level: 30
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: dat dere eggs
Kleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributor

related:
Kleurplaay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:56 PM   #14
IainK
Max Brawn
Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 20
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Hard work in a can
IainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machine

That was not a good vid by icf. He dosnt know what GPP is for starters, or how crossfit meets work. However he has some okay points.

Snc = strength and conditioning.

My first post still highly relevant to this topic
Old 10-05-2013, 02:10 PM   #15
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
you miss interpret me sir. im saying why would you anybody spot sombody who is doing a jerk. the jerk itself is not the dangerous part its the fool whos standing behind the person putting weight over their head
Unfortunately a lot of young people are learning these lifts from high school football coaches who not only have no clue how to perform the lifts, they also do stupid things like having 2 students spot another student attempting a jerk PR in a squat rack with metal plates.

You guys keep saying that there are many benefits of Olympic lifting. I don't see it. What are the benefits to wasting lots of time and energy learning/mastering the Olympic lifts just so they can be loaded as effectively as a squat or deadlift, both of which can be taught in a single session, and mastered in days.

Everyone says that the O lifts develop explosive strength. That's true, but they aren't nearly as good as squats performed explosively and dynamically, combined with jumping variations and sprints. This combination is more effective and far safer then any Olympic lift.

You guys have all made awesome points, thanks for being involved in the discussion!
Old 10-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #16
IainK
Max Brawn

IainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machine

They are better at generating power than a squat. Neither are they a replacement for jumping training. However jumping dosnt allow you to strengthen and develop tripple ext in the same manner. You cannot load a jump, or continue to load, in the same way as a barbell lift.

Plus they are not too that difficult to teach. You dont have to do a full snatch or clean and jerk. Infact the meet lifts are no doubt superfluous. Lots of variations to do which are less dependent on tech and flexibility.

So oly lifts can therefore be a great tool, that cannot full be replicated by other means. Even if not always nessacary. No one lift done for GPP is!

Last edited by IainK; 10-05-2013 at 04:09 PM.
IainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:38 PM   #17
IainK
Max Brawn

This discussion does raise another point. People doing shit they havnt though about just vid its 'what your meant to do'. Sure we have all been victim of that! Lol
Old 10-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #18
Soldier
Max Brawn

Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainK View Post
This discussion does raise another point. People doing shit they havnt though about just vid its 'what your meant to do'. Sure we have all been victim of that! Lol
If anything, what I want to do is to get people to stop and think about everything they do and ask "WHY?". I'm in the Army and most of our PT is just idiotic. They do things a certain because that's just what they do. It's what they've always done. "It's just what we do" and "It's just what we've always done" are 2 of the stupidest reasons to do something I've ever heard.

I'll definitely concede that power cleans are much safer and more useful than other O lifts, but my feeling on the o lifts in general is that they are a much better TEST of strength and skill than they are a way of developing strength that can be applied to sports or other movements. Improving your deadlift, squat, and OHP is going to allow you to power clean much more, but improving your power clean isn't going to have the same carry over to the deadlift, squat, and vertical leap that people think it will.

In the end, however, it's less about the O lifts themselves and more about never doing anything just because it's there to be done. That's stupid.

As an example of what I was talking about above, I happened to be in a gym that had bumper plates a few months back. At the time I hadn't done a single power clean in probably five years, yet I was able to power clean 245 for multiple reps, and probably could've gotten 275 up if I had wanted to push it. This was based on the fact that I had improved my strength through squats and deadlifts, and was therefore able to pull heavier weights with enough force to get them all the way to my chest.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:28 PM   #19
zach90
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,786, Level: 24 Points: 1,786, Level: 24 Points: 1,786, Level: 24
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 6 years
Fav Exercise: curls... lol jk DEADS
Fav Supp: moe food
zach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributor

im agreeing with a lot of what you are saying. in my opnion the oly lifts should be used as accessory work only if you dont compete in a sport that uses them. for example, i like to do snatches and their variations on shoulder day to help keep my shoulders flexible and strong. it also helps build my tendons and ligaments in my upper back and shoulders. i dont go terribly heavy. just enough to really get them to work.

the oly lifts can be very dangerous, but so can the benchpress and squat. they need to be used with explicit purpose as to not waste the energy and possible injury.
zach90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:59 PM   #20
Soldier
Max Brawn

Quote:
im agreeing with a lot of what you are saying. in my opnion the oly lifts should be used as accessory work only if you dont compete in a sport that uses them. for example, i like to do snatches and their variations on shoulder day to help keep my shoulders flexible and strong. it also helps build my tendons and ligaments in my upper back and shoulders. i dont go terribly heavy. just enough to really get them to work.

the oly lifts can be very dangerous, but so can the benchpress and squat. they need to be used with explicit purpose as to not waste the energy and possible injury.
Well said!