Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #11
Hywelbane
Max Brawn
Points: 3,145, Level: 34 Points: 3,145, Level: 34 Points: 3,145, Level: 34
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Training Exp: 8
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Condense
Hywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master member

Agree on the points others have made.

Shoulder issues have plagued me many times. Things I've focused on are shoulder mobility, rotator cuff exercises, rear delt work, and form. Main thing about my bench form, making sure scapular retraction is engaged on bench and the shoulder joint is in a safe position.
Tucking the elbows and bringing the bar slightly below the nipple line is my personal groove.

Chest fly's are something that I avoid due to them aggravating my shoulder, if I do them it's with a neutral grip, slightly outside shoulder width starting point, and then lowering the weight down like bench and focusing on the pec stretch.

With DB Bench you could try lowering the weights slightly below where you normally would have the BB, pausing for 1-2 seconds and then explode up. Still keeping as much scapular retraction as possible, and tucking the elbows.

On dips an exaggerated forward lean and going farther than 90 degrees can build the chest, but it also aggravates the shoulders. Keeping the chest up will keep the tris in a better position to help take the load off the shoulders, and 90 degrees or slightly before is the angle I shoot for.

Also, BB upright rows hurt my shoulders, while DB did not.

Working around the issue is good, but fixing the main problem is the most important thing.

Hywelbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2013, 03:03 PM   #12
Ryano
Max Brawn
Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 30
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: Buttweiser
Ryano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master member

Your problem is probably rotators....due to never working them and then using bad form on the bench. You may need to let them heal, then begin with light rotator rehab every day. Tuck your elbows when benching.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:16 PM   #13
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryano View Post
Your problem is probably rotators....due to never working them and then using bad form on the bench. You may need to let them heal, then begin with light rotator rehab every day. Tuck your elbows when benching.
It's funny you mention tucking. I actually injured my shoulder from OVER tucking. I was tucking hard to take the bar to my belly which shortened my ROM by quite a bit with my arch. In retrospect I shouldn't have been benching raw like that. lesson learned, a little too late unfortunately.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:05 PM   #14
batwhisper
Points: 36, Level: 1 Points: 36, Level: 1 Points: 36, Level: 1
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

batwhisper is off to a bad start

I ran into a friend at work and she is a certified personal trainer. I explained my issue lately and she took one look at me and realized I have terrible posture. My back arches at the top and my shoulders are pulled inwards.

So mixed with maybe bad form and/or weak shoulders could be the issue huh?
batwhisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:08 PM   #15
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

I don't trust anyone just because they are a certified anything, especially a personal trainer. She may be right, or she may have no clue what she's talking about.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:58 PM   #16
CODY_SNIDER
Cody
Max Brawn
Points: 2,673, Level: 31 Points: 2,673, Level: 31 Points: 2,673, Level: 31
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 7
Fav Exercise: The big 3
CODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributor

I had a similar issue a few years back. I ended up going to my physical therapist friend thinking it was my rotator as well. It got to the point I couldn't put a hat on my head. Turns out I had super weak rear delts. I was over developed in the front from all the pressing. We came up with a plan using bands that I still do every time I'm in the gym and after about six weeks I was pain free
CODY_SNIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:32 AM   #17
mohiz
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1 yrs
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: creatine, beta-alanine
mohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributor

Although my training experience is limited, so take my advice for what it's worth, I believe that the root of your problem may lie with mobility and tightness. You need to stretch the s**t out of your pecs, shoulders, biceps and forearms every day and aim to increase your mobility. They are all a part of the same chain, so even one tight spot will screw up everything. Also visit a massage therapist and start working on myofascial release with foam rolling or preferably something like the TheraCane. If you haven't done it before, your muscless will be filled with knots, that will be painful.

Also many people underestimate the healing and recovery powers of food. Try increasing your diet substantially, unless of course you're already steadily gaining weight, in which case it's fine.

I used to have all kinds of back problems, but they went away completely after I started to stretch and foam roll thoroughly every day and increasing my mobility.

***Current goals***
- Get to <10% BF

Last edited by mohiz; 09-29-2013 at 04:37 AM.
mohiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:20 AM   #18
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Try moving your grip in.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:46 AM   #19
Ramrod
Max Brawn
Points: 5,943, Level: 49 Points: 5,943, Level: 49 Points: 5,943, Level: 49
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 12
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: FOOD
Ramrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post
Try moving your grip in.
Thats what I would recommend as well.

I started doing Shoulder Dislocations with a Broom stick and DB Rotations 3-4 times a week and it help loosen up my shoulders. My shoulder issue came from squats, but if I bench with too wide of a grip too much. I get sore and develop tendonitis. Moving my grip in, just an inch helps.

If that PT is correct. You have created a muscle imbalance. Which will cause issues like you have.

Things to work on..
Stretches and Mobility of the Chest and Shoulders.
Strengthen the Rear Delts. I wouldn't even bother hitting the front delts with direct work for a while. Focus on Rears.

I recommend getting this book...

Amazon Amazon
Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:34 AM   #20
afraziaaaa
Max Brawn
Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

Used to have the same problem. It was because my form was incorrect. I was benching as suggested in Men's Health magazine instead of the correct way. Just from what you say, I am 95% certain your problem is form. Like the others have said, post a video so you can get the help you need!

Until then, try decline bench. They will shorten your ROM while really building your lower pecs and triceps pretty well.
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote