Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #11
Hywelbane
Max Brawn
Points: 3,145, Level: 34 Points: 3,145, Level: 34 Points: 3,145, Level: 34
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Training Exp: 8
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Condense
Hywelbane is a lifting beastHywelbane is a lifting beastHywelbane is a lifting beastHywelbane is a lifting beastHywelbane is a lifting beastHywelbane is a lifting beastHywelbane is a lifting beastHywelbane is a lifting beastHywelbane is a lifting beastHywelbane is a lifting beastHywelbane is a lifting beast

Agree on the points others have made.

Shoulder issues have plagued me many times. Things I've focused on are shoulder mobility, rotator cuff exercises, rear delt work, and form. Main thing about my bench form, making sure scapular retraction is engaged on bench and the shoulder joint is in a safe position.
Tucking the elbows and bringing the bar slightly below the nipple line is my personal groove.

Chest fly's are something that I avoid due to them aggravating my shoulder, if I do them it's with a neutral grip, slightly outside shoulder width starting point, and then lowering the weight down like bench and focusing on the pec stretch.

With DB Bench you could try lowering the weights slightly below where you normally would have the BB, pausing for 1-2 seconds and then explode up. Still keeping as much scapular retraction as possible, and tucking the elbows.

On dips an exaggerated forward lean and going farther than 90 degrees can build the chest, but it also aggravates the shoulders. Keeping the chest up will keep the tris in a better position to help take the load off the shoulders, and 90 degrees or slightly before is the angle I shoot for.

Also, BB upright rows hurt my shoulders, while DB did not.

Working around the issue is good, but fixing the main problem is the most important thing.

Hywelbane is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links