Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:04 PM   #1
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast
Default Really.Annoyed.

Went out today to do m workout and realized I couldn't even get one set out of my bench press.

Came back on the forum and told some of the guys about it, and I put it down to my lack of motivation.

I was told by babs to do a light session, so thats what I set out to do.

Went outside, to do this light session, and then noticed on my barbell 2 of the plates either side read 7.5kg.

All my weight are 5 kilogram olympic plates, with 4 2.5's , and 8 1.25's
I do however have 2 7.5kg plates.

I'd previously been using two 7.5kg plates loaded onto the bar with a load of 5's to deadlift, because I needed some extra weight on the bar when I'd maxed out all the 5's the previous workout.

I'd put the bar back on the bench ready to bench press for the next workout AND LEFT THE 7.5KG PLATES ON RATHER THAN REPLACING THEM WITH THE 5'S.

This meant that when I was bench pressing a weight that seemed mysteriously heavier, that was put down to lack of motivation when I couldn't lift it, IT ACTUALLY WAS HEAVIER.

There was an extra 5K on there.

Almost instantly after I noticed and realized this, I started getting a migraine, and then couldn't even complete the light session.

So all in all I completely screwed everything up, and unnecessarily, and stupidly, missed out on a workout, and opportunity.

I feel really bad now, and seriously annoyed with my self.

I'm going to just do it tomorrow instead, but I'm guessing that wont be the same.

Even if its only going to be by a small amount I feel like I've now wrecked an opportunity for growth and strength.

I now wont be quite, as strong, quite as big, when I do my transformation pictures at the end of the year.
I've eaten a ton of food for nothing too.
Thats the first time I've missed a workout, but the reason I say all this is because I missed a whole 2 weeks back when I went on holiday.

BtB said that didn't matter, but I just feel like I've seriously missed out on something now, even though its only one day(and 2 weeks if you count the holiday in the summer)

All adds up.

Any suggestions? Am I really going to notice that I'm not as big or as strong as I could've been because of this? Or am I really just blowing everything out of proportion.

I know it sounds stupid, thats just how it made me feel knowing I've missed it, and missed out.
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #2
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

It happens, you're not the first to end up having more weight on the barbell and you won't be the last...hands up all those that have done this, me for one.

People also inadvertently load the barbell heavier one side than the other making for a very weird lift that they can't make; that, I haven't had the "fun" of doing yet but I'm sure it will happen to me one day.

I decided to put too much on the MFDL, the other night, that really screws up your hand/finger; it pulls, it hurts like hell...I figured I was done after that but managed to get one last reduced load pulled, still equating to a PB.

Days are lost due to illness or injury.

All of these things happen to everyone, in varying degrees; you can't base your entire progress on one day, one session or even a whole week of what you might consider a "screw-up".

You've made great gains so far, will this one affect you? No! Have any of the others that you missed affected you? No! Your pics show otherwise. A lot of people will have 6 months out due to illness/surgery, it's a setback but it's never the end of the world...you have years ahead of you, put a "bad" session behind you and continue with your next workout.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #3
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
It happens, you're not the first to end up having more weight on the barbell and you won't be the last...hands up all those that have done this, me for one.

People also inadvertently load the barbell heavier one side than the other making for a very weird lift that they can't make; that, I haven't had the "fun" of doing yet but I'm sure it will happen to me one day.

I decided to put too much on the MFDL, the other night, that really screws up your hand/finger; it pulls, it hurts like hell...I figured I was done after that but managed to get one last reduced load pulled, still equating to a PB.

Days are lost due to illness or injury.

All of these things happen to everyone, in varying degrees; you can't base your entire progress on one day, one session or even a whole week of what you might consider a "screw-up".

You've made great gains so far, will this one affect you? No! Have any of the others that you missed affected you? No! Your pics show otherwise. A lot of people will have 6 months out due to illness/surgery, it's a setback but it's never the end of the world...you have years ahead of you, put a "bad" session behind you and continue with your next workout.

Right I understand, not too much to worry about then. Thanks

Was concerned about the food too though. Obviously I'm eating over maintenance, and I'e been in all day today doing nothing.

Don't know what'll happen with all those extra calories. Hope it doesn't go to fat.

Perhaps I should consider it a grow day.
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:11 PM   #4
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
Was concerned about the food too though. Obviously I'm eating over maintenance, and I'e been in all day today doing nothing.

Don't know what'll happen with all those extra calories. Hope it doesn't go to fat.
Once a person starts training and training hard, which is what you're doing, the body doesn't just stop using the calories you put in to it...metabolism is stoked, whether you miss a workout or not, you can trust me or not on this one.

I've had two week breaks at Xmas, eating tubs of chocolate (in addition to the normal food) and ended up losing weight and all because I'd been training hard for a good few months. The body doesn't suddenly slow down its calorie requirements and certainly not after one missed session or one day of relaxing.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:37 PM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

You can't worry about the stones in the road when your journey is 1,000 miles. There will always be stones in the road. They aren't making you miss anything, they are part of the journey.

When you stop walking because of them you fail.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:51 PM   #6
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

I have good news. The fact that you're so torn up over missing a single workout means that you have the fire to really get somewhere with this. But you have to maintain perspective. If you miss a number of workouts then you're right, you won't be quite what you could have been in a year's time. But one session? Naw, it won't have any effect on your results.

Don't worry about trying to "make up" for this session. Just move on and stick with your plan.
Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:23 PM   #7
WilldBill88
King of The Cowboys
Max Brawn
Points: 5,489, Level: 47 Points: 5,489, Level: 47 Points: 5,489, Level: 47
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 2 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
WilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beast

I agree with soldier, as long as you keep training hard and keep up the consistency, your not going to loose all your strength or gains cause of one bad day. Get fired up and get it done next time!
Old 09-15-2013, 10:28 PM   #8
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

Haha, I did the same thing a while ago: loaded an extra 10kg (similar difference, relatively). Wondered why it felt so heavy... then finally realised.

These things happens, mate. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're making good progress, and that's what counts, not the odd aberrant day (or even week, potentially, as I've discovered).

Keep on smashin'.

Last edited by Dray; 09-15-2013 at 10:36 PM. Reason: speeling, heh
Dray is offline   Reply With Quote