Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:09 PM   #1
Renton
Brawn
Points: 1,024, Level: 17 Points: 1,024, Level: 17 Points: 1,024, Level: 17
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 3 years+
Fav Exercise: front squat
Fav Supp: whey protein
Renton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good posts
Default Gain muscle lose abs?

Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find a thread on it. So a little background, I'm 30 6-3 and have been lifting regularly for over 3 years. I gained a lot of muscle the first year but since then it seems my weight has stayed steady. Last winter I tried bulking up and I made some gains but I also seemed to gain belly fat and lost having any visible upper abs despite being careful what I ate. Is it common to gain some belly fat when trying to gain muscle at my level? It's frustrating that gains seem to slow down so much after the first year.
Renton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
The_Big_Sleep
Epigenetically Gifted
Max Brawn
Points: 2,330, Level: 29 Points: 2,330, Level: 29 Points: 2,330, Level: 29
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
The_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machine

Do you have an idea of how many calories you were taking in while you put on weight? What's your current bodyweight/bodyfat?
The_Big_Sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:48 PM   #3
Gorship
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,682, Level: 23 Points: 1,682, Level: 23 Points: 1,682, Level: 23
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: 1-2 altogether.
Training Type: Starting Strength
Fav Exercise: DeadLift
Fav Supp: Creatine + Beta Alanine.
Gorship is a dedicated contributorGorship is a dedicated contributorGorship is a dedicated contributorGorship is a dedicated contributorGorship is a dedicated contributorGorship is a dedicated contributorGorship is a dedicated contributorGorship is a dedicated contributorGorship is a dedicated contributorGorship is a dedicated contributorGorship is a dedicated contributor

The premise of a "bulk" is that you eat a caloric surplus so that you have the energy to build muscle, however excess energy (which we measure in calories) gets stored into fat cells. So all thats happened is you have gained an excess amount of fat cells, to remove these cells, find your maintenance caloric level (The Big Sleeps question above is going to help you find that out) and then cut that by about 10% to help you not chew up muscle but keep you on a caloric deficit to help you bring back your body fat percentage so you can see your abdominal muscles again. Things to help you from your body using muscle as calories is to eat around 1lb of protein per pound of body mass. The increase in protein also helps your internal thermogenic effects and will help you burn a few extra calories.

If you decide to do the cut, best of luck.
Philippians 1:21: For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.
Log!

www.needGod.com
Gorship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
Renton
Brawn

Renton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good posts

I can lose bodyfat easy enough, this summer I cut down and got pretty lean but lost some of my strength gains. Right now I'm trying to bulk again and I'm around 195, looking at pictures I would say my b/f is between 15to20% as you can only sort of see my top two abs
Old 09-12-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
Henry19
Max Brawn
Points: 3,767, Level: 38 Points: 3,767, Level: 38 Points: 3,767, Level: 38
Activity: 32% Activity: 32% Activity: 32%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift/Squat
Fav Supp: Skittles
Henry19 is a master memberHenry19 is a master memberHenry19 is a master memberHenry19 is a master memberHenry19 is a master memberHenry19 is a master memberHenry19 is a master memberHenry19 is a master memberHenry19 is a master memberHenry19 is a master memberHenry19 is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Big_Sleep View Post
Do you have an idea of how many calories you were taking in while you put on weight? What's your current bodyweight/bodyfat?
This. We need more info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton View Post
I can lose bodyfat easy enough, this summer I cut down and got pretty lean but lost some of my strength gains. Right now I'm trying to bulk again and I'm around 195, looking at pictures I would say my b/f is between 15to20% as you can only sort of see my top two abs
You gotta post some pics man.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:44 AM   #6
moeheep
Max Brawn
Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: 1.5 years
Fav Exercise: DEADS
Fav Supp: Condense
moeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite member

Yes it is common to gain some belly fat while trying to gain muscle at your level.

Yes it is very frustrating when gains slow down..Consistency is the key.

Remember, its a marathon, not a sprint

Best Meet Lifts:
Squat = 325
Bench = 210
Dead = 353
Total = 888

The iron is there during my times of happiness, sadness and anger. The iron is there available through the 4 seasons and inclement weather. The iron is there to either comfort me or motivate me. The Iron manages to show me how strong I am or how humble I need to be. The iron does not yell, but it always demands respect. The iron is not a disciplinarian, but when disrespected, I feel it for a long time. The iron does not love or hate, but we definitely share a strong bond. And no matter how far I stay away or for how long, the iron is there, waiting to be lifted.
moeheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:11 PM   #7
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton View Post
Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find a thread on it. So a little background, I'm 30 6-3 and have been lifting regularly for over 3 years. I gained a lot of muscle the first year but since then it seems my weight has stayed steady. Last winter I tried bulking up and I made some gains but I also seemed to gain belly fat and lost having any visible upper abs despite being careful what I ate. Is it common to gain some belly fat when trying to gain muscle at my level? It's frustrating that gains seem to slow down so much after the first year.
Yes, it's common. Food that isn't metabolised for energy is going to be stored (but that's going to be a comparatively small amount) or converted into tissue - which might be regarded as a longer-term storage. Ideally, you want the tissue that its partitioned into to be muscle, but almost inevitably some of it will be partitioned into fat. The proportion that gets partitioned into muscle is going to be determined by many factors, including:

genetics
macronutrient profile
micronutrient profile
extent of calorific excess
level of conditioning
sleep quantity and quality
exposure to stressors
type of exercise undertaken

Of course, the ideal is to gain pure muscle, but for many it's not that easy.

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #8
Renton
Brawn

So It's been awhile since I figured out how many calories I eat in a day but according to what I've read I need to eat over 3000 a day and I'm not sure if I eat that much. From what I recorded before I'm usually around 2500-3000. I took a few photos today but it won't let me post them on the forum as it says I haven't posted enough yet.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:44 PM   #9
SCStrong
Max Brawn
Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Beer; Milk is for Babies
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorship View Post
. Things to help you from your body using muscle as calories is to eat around 1lb of protein per pound of body mass. The increase in protein also helps your internal thermogenic effects and will help you burn a few extra calories.

If you decide to do the cut, best of luck.
...... maybe one GRAM of protien per pound of body weight ?
Old 09-14-2013, 05:32 AM   #10
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

How about mini cuts?

Take 2 to 4 weeks out to burn a couple of pounds of fat, and then resume your bulk.

Just a thought.

LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote