Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:29 PM   #11
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

Mrs Squatter has to sometimes pull me out of the gym, just like my brothers' wife has to pull him out of the garage (he's a car guy and a mechanic). I'm lucky to get 3 hours a week of TV in, as I spend too much time on the forum.

Mrs squatter does really well with her DVD's. She gets annoyed and upset when she can't do them due to illness or her usual bouts with aches and pains.
Bench: 286 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1262 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 295 lbs
Deadlift: 520 lbs
Total: 1310 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2013, 09:41 PM   #12
Henry19
Max Brawn
Points: 3,767, Level: 38 Points: 3,767, Level: 38 Points: 3,767, Level: 38
Activity: 32% Activity: 32% Activity: 32%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift/Squat
Fav Supp: Skittles
Henry19 is a master memberHenry19 is a master memberHenry19 is a master memberHenry19 is a master memberHenry19 is a master memberHenry19 is a master memberHenry19 is a master memberHenry19 is a master memberHenry19 is a master memberHenry19 is a master memberHenry19 is a master member

The saddest thing about this all is that this person seems perfectly content to be a consumer who seems to have little to no passion or hobbies in his life. In my opinion, exercising isn't for everyone. Natural Selection is a real thing and fitness isn't as important as it used to be. But, geez, do something with your life so that you can have a decent quality of life.

Read a book, go hiking, learn how to fish for Pete's sake.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:46 PM   #13
Adamite1114
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,563, Level: 30 Points: 2,563, Level: 30 Points: 2,563, Level: 30
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: on and off 7 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift, Squats
Fav Supp: Phosflex
Adamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributor

Everybody wants the body, but nobody wants to work.
Adamite1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:49 PM   #14
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry19 View Post
The saddest thing about this all is that this person seems perfectly content to be a consumer who seems to have little to no passion or hobbies in his life. In my opinion, exercising isn't for everyone. Natural Selection is a real thing and fitness isn't as important as it used to be. But, geez, do something with your life so that you can have a decent quality of life.

Agree! Training is not for everyone but Its sad to see people who's only passion is watching TV.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:07 AM   #15
mohiz
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1 yrs
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: creatine, beta-alanine
mohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry19 View Post

I guess what it boils down to is that for him, the short-term benefits of numbing his brains while watching TV outweight the awesome long-term results he could achieve by trading in some of that time for weight training. All it takes is a little willingness to change one's normal routines and schedules, and consistency. Not all can visualize the gains and see the value in long term commitments, it seems. And I'm not saying that watching TV is bad, I watch Youtube a lot too.

I think passion is one of the most important things in life. Basically he's asking how to make days have more than 24 hours.

***Current goals***
- Get to <10% BF
mohiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:16 AM   #16
GT55
Brawn
Points: 965, Level: 16 Points: 965, Level: 16 Points: 965, Level: 16
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Crunches of course
Fav Supp: A second plate
GT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributor

I found that having started training, I have far more energy and am less likely to be sitting in front of a TV anyway.
Having said that, the last month has been really hectic, and despite getting my ass to the gym each time, I havent seen much progress, Im guessing due to the lack of proper rest.
GT55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:04 AM   #17
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Where women are concerned, we also have to take in to account that the gym is still considered very much a male domain and some women still feel uncomfortable with the metal weight style set-up, even if done at home, it's just not a female domain...much as yoga or step classes would be a "No way!" automatic thought for most men whereas women would be jumping all over themselves with excitement to get to a class (and the DVD set-up, as Jim mentions)...if you know what I mean.

Give a woman a KB (even though it's an old piece of training equipment, newly packaged) and she will more than likely stick with it...stand her in front of a barbell and you may never see her again.

The other aspect, as mentioned by Henry is that not everyone has a passion for exercise; in fact if you consider who exercises and who has problems sticking to plans, how many of those would have been active as youngsters and how many would have been the sort that didn't like sport/outdoor playing etc whilst they were younger. Is the carryover easier, mentally, for those that enjoyed being active when younger? My parents weren't active, no sports whatsoever, but I recall doing yoga, squash, jogging, football (soccer), judo, Tae Kwon Do, along with small amounts of gymnastics and other stuff.

Where the time is concerned, rarely is it the true issue because people that want to do something will always find the time, whenever possible. And for those that keep having an exercise session of 15-30 minutes whittled down, guaranteed time is not the underlying issue there either, they just aren't telling you the real reason for not wanting to do the routine.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:46 AM   #18
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Most gyms in the states these days are more female friendly than heavy lifter friendly. The tides have really turned. You have female gyms too in most Gold's, and if not separate lifting areas with endless machines, far away from the bench press.

Most commercial gyms are serious lifter unfriendly these days.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #19
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
Where women are concerned, we also have to take in to account that the gym is still considered very much a male domain
Actual weights gyms, yes. Crossfit [whatever they're called]s, not so much. Similarly, as noted in the above post, typical modern gyms - both of these tend to be full o' dem chix, from what I've seen. The only gym that's remotely lifter-friendly around here, is the one I go to, and it's generally full of guys, with the odd woman or two, but only rarely. The other gyms? Totally different, in every way.

Quote:
some women still feel uncomfortable with the metal weight style set-up, even if done at home, it's just not a female domain...much as yoga or step classes would be a "No way!" automatic thought for most men whereas women would be jumping all over themselves with excitement to get to a class (and the DVD set-up, as Jim mentions)...if you know what I mean.

Give a woman a KB (even though it's an old piece of training equipment, newly packaged) and she will more than likely stick with it...stand her in front of a barbell and you may never see her again.
Yep. This is still, unfortunately, broadly true. Or so it would seem, anyway. And so, I'm always hella glad to see women doing the big three, and other BB/DB work. I mean, I try not to stare, lol, but it's great to see. Not that it happens all that often...

Quote:
The other aspect, as mentioned by Henry is that not everyone has a passion for exercise; in fact if you consider who exercises and who has problems sticking to plans, how many of those would have been active as youngsters and how many would have been the sort that didn't like sport/outdoor playing etc whilst they were younger. Is the carryover easier, mentally, for those that enjoyed being active when younger? My parents weren't active, no sports whatsoever, but I recall doing yoga, squash, jogging, football (soccer), judo, Tae Kwon Do, along with small amounts of gymnastics and other stuff.
Indeed. That's how it tends to go. And this is part of why it was so unlikely that I would ever find myself lifting weights, actually - let alone sticking with it! Pure luck / bloodymindedness / other, in my case. Perhaps there are many others, also without a relevant background of any kind, who are however less fortunate / stubborn / other, and thus, never even try, or if they do, will soon give up.

I feel so grateful, to all those people and forces that have had a positive impact in this area, leading to this habit I now have. And I hope that more and more people overcome whatever they might have to, and give it a really good go. I believe that the vast majority would also be pleasantly surprised with what it can do.

Last edited by Dray; 09-10-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Dray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #20
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
seriously.
everyone is always so busy.
i'm tired of hearing about it.
3-5 hours of lifting isn't even much of a time commitment compared to other activities.
For those like us with the motivation, its really not. Sadly it seems, I've heard this excuse as well.

Listen buddy, if you want help, don't make excuses and resist.

I have worked 16 hour days six days a weak and still made good progress lifting.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is offline   Reply With Quote