Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #791
TobesLCFC
Max Brawn
Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Greek Yoghurt with honey
TobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributor

Bearded beast, why do you use the " slingshot" when you bench sometimes? Please can you explain what it is for. I have only been doing bodybuilding style benches and am wondering if they would be any good for hitting the triceps more.
TobesLCFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2013, 07:03 PM   #792
Salamicopter
Points: 376, Level: 7 Points: 376, Level: 7 Points: 376, Level: 7
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Salamicopter is new to the forumSalamicopter is new to the forum

thank you big hairy ugly dude.
Salamicopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #793
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamicopter View Post
thank you big hairy ugly dude.
My pleasure.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:32 PM   #794
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobesLCFC View Post
Bearded beast, why do you use the " slingshot" when you bench sometimes? Please can you explain what it is for. I have only been doing bodybuilding style benches and am wondering if they would be any good for hitting the triceps more.
Long story short I benched over 20 years with really poor form. If I bench without support, I pickup shoulder and arm strains that last for weeks.

For other lifters it's a great overload tool It allows you to increase lifting intensity. I am certain if you used it on close grip bench presses that it would be excellent for triceps.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:45 AM   #795
IrishHitman
Max Brawn
Points: 6,200, Level: 51 Points: 6,200, Level: 51 Points: 6,200, Level: 51
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 8
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Chili Oil
IrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beast

Big Hairy Ugly Dude, This is a question regarding peaking and rest and maintenance going into a meet. My last training session is scheduled for 18 days before the meet, and as this is my first full meet, I thought I would ask someone who has experience how to handle that 2.5 weeks. The first week is the week of Thanksgiving and the second is Dead Week before my semester finals, if you think that may have any bearing. Thanks in advance.

"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards."
~Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

1 March 2014
SQUAT: 650 lbs
BENCH: 340 lbs
DEADLIFT: 580 lbs
TOTAL: 1570 lbs
IrishHitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:34 PM   #796
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishHitman View Post
Big Hairy Ugly Dude, This is a question regarding peaking and rest and maintenance going into a meet. My last training session is scheduled for 18 days before the meet, and as this is my first full meet, I thought I would ask someone who has experience how to handle that 2.5 weeks. The first week is the week of Thanksgiving and the second is Dead Week before my semester finals, if you think that may have any bearing. Thanks in advance.
Hey Hit,

Well I would drop all assistance work during that time. You will need to something for 1.5 weeks, and then take the last week off.

Can you post your last week of training (big lifts only) and what relative intensity you will be using? Thanks!

Old 09-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #797
SlowandSteady
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1

SlowandSteady is off to a bad start

Just recently saw your deadlifting cycle video and I wanted your opinion about how I should approach my deadlifting.

I lifted in high school but I didn't track anything, just tried to get strong for football. I have been tracking my progress and counting calories for about a year now (i'm in college now). I weigh 145 pounds and I can squat about 320 for one rep and bench press about 245 for one rep. However, I have no idea what my deadlift max is because I have never done it. I power-cleaned in high school and got up to 240 for one rep, but I haven't done it since. Our school gym just recently installed some deadlift platforms so I am going to add it to my routine. I feel that I am at the intermediate level but I'm not sure how to approach the deadlift. Should I start with a basic 3x5 and work up, or what are your thoughts? I am currently running Wendler's 5/3/1 four days a week cycle.
SlowandSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:27 PM   #798
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowandSteady View Post
Just recently saw your deadlifting cycle video and I wanted your opinion about how I should approach my deadlifting.

I lifted in high school but I didn't track anything, just tried to get strong for football. I have been tracking my progress and counting calories for about a year now (i'm in college now). I weigh 145 pounds and I can squat about 320 for one rep and bench press about 245 for one rep. However, I have no idea what my deadlift max is because I have never done it. I power-cleaned in high school and got up to 240 for one rep, but I haven't done it since. Our school gym just recently installed some deadlift platforms so I am going to add it to my routine. I feel that I am at the intermediate level but I'm not sure how to approach the deadlift. Should I start with a basic 3x5 and work up, or what are your thoughts? I am currently running Wendler's 5/3/1 four days a week cycle.
Hi S&S and welcome to the forum.

I would take the deadlift slow. Don't try to go heavy for the first month. Use a comfortable weight and practice form. Study some of the videos we have in the forum on deadlifting.

When you feel that your form is ok, take 3-4 months to build it using a simple 3x5. After this period, if you feel form is ok, I would integrate it into Wendler's.

One thing I strongly suggest is to take videos of your form every couple of weeks and let someone with a lot of experience point out any flaws you might have.

If you do this we'd be glad to help.

Also, I hope you will consider sticking around and running a training log. We'd love to monitor your progress and help with a little encouragement.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:54 PM   #799
IrishHitman
Max Brawn
Points: 6,200, Level: 51 Points: 6,200, Level: 51 Points: 6,200, Level: 51
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 8
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Chili Oil
IrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Hey Hit,

Well I would drop all assistance work during that time. You will need to something for 1.5 weeks, and then take the last week off.

Can you post your last week of training (big lifts only) and what relative intensity you will be using? Thanks!
I am running BIG again, so my last week of training will be (All weights are VERY conservative projections):

Squats: 565 at 3 doubles
Bench: 315 at 3 doubles and a paused single
Deadlift: 500 at 5 doubles

Pulls will be early on in the last week of training, squats last.

"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards."
~Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

1 March 2014
SQUAT: 650 lbs
BENCH: 340 lbs
DEADLIFT: 580 lbs
TOTAL: 1570 lbs
IrishHitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:50 AM   #800
cadillacjoechavez
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1

cadillacjoechavez is new to the forumcadillacjoechavez is new to the forum

Hey big hairy dude, just have a simple question. I'm 32 yrs old with 9 kids and a job that I work 50-68 hrs weekly. I can usually sneak into the garage for about an hr to a hr and a half 4 days a week. I'm just starting 5/3/1 because I was really interested in training for power not hypertrophy. Do you think there is hope for me to become a old strong man like you or am I starting off to late with to little time to give? Thanks for your time.
Current bench max 260
squat max 330
Overhead press 170
Deadlift 240
I know my numbers are all crazy because my big lifts suck but i've only started to attempt squat and deadlift 2 months ago I was stupid and was a chest and bicep guy for a couple of yrs in the early 2000's
cadillacjoechavez is offline   Reply With Quote