Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Exercise Form
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Exercise Form Videos, articles and resources to help you with your squat, deadlift, bench press form and more.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:08 PM   #341
TitleFight
Brawn
Points: 397, Level: 7 Points: 397, Level: 7 Points: 397, Level: 7
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

TitleFight has made some quality postsTitleFight has made some quality postsTitleFight has made some quality postsTitleFight has made some quality postsTitleFight has made some quality postsTitleFight has made some quality posts

They're just converse hi-tops. Hmmm, maybe I setup with the bar too close to my shins. I use the cue "toes up" to ensure I pull back and not up. I try and take all the slack out but throwing my shoulders back/bringing my chest up but when I start pulling the hips rise and I pull with my lower back. I'm definitely weaker in my upper back and have been working to correct this. Thanks for the input
TitleFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2013, 05:26 AM   #342
afraziaaaa
Max Brawn
Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleFight View Post
They're just converse hi-tops. Hmmm, maybe I setup with the bar too close to my shins. I use the cue "toes up" to ensure I pull back and not up. I try and take all the slack out but throwing my shoulders back/bringing my chest up but when I start pulling the hips rise and I pull with my lower back. I'm definitely weaker in my upper back and have been working to correct this. Thanks for the input
Not sure what you're doing for assistance, but I had good success building my upper back with heavy cheat barbell rows from the knee in the 6-8 rep range. Good luck.
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:23 AM   #343
TitleFight
Brawn
Points: 397, Level: 7 Points: 397, Level: 7 Points: 397, Level: 7

TitleFight has made some quality postsTitleFight has made some quality postsTitleFight has made some quality postsTitleFight has made some quality postsTitleFight has made some quality postsTitleFight has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afraziaaaa View Post
Not sure what you're doing for assistance, but I had good success building my upper back with heavy cheat barbell rows from the knee in the 6-8 rep range. Good luck.
Cheat by using momentum? I used to do Pendalay rows but ditched them because I upped the volume by switching to 5/3/1 BBB. Lately I've been alternating between close grip lat pull downs and dumbbell rows, sometimes face pulls. Ill work in some barbell rows and Monday and see and how they go after a month or two. I appreciate the help!
TitleFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:42 AM   #344
afraziaaaa
Max Brawn
Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleFight View Post
Cheat by using momentum? I used to do Pendalay rows but ditched them because I upped the volume by switching to 5/3/1 BBB. Lately I've been alternating between close grip lat pull downs and dumbbell rows, sometimes face pulls. Ill work in some barbell rows and Monday and see and how they go after a month or two. I appreciate the help!
Yes with momentum. I pull them to my belly button and stand bent over at about a 45 degree angle. I think most folks would advise against this, but they work really well for me. Be sure to go heavy! All the other ones are good too.
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #345
bigalfry
Max Brawn
Points: 4,796, Level: 44 Points: 4,796, Level: 44 Points: 4,796, Level: 44
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Exp: 12
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Bench
Fav Supp: Beef
bigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machine
Default Check my squats?!

Hey guys, I'm always paranoid about my squat form. I'm breaking parallel at least most of the time now, I just want you guys to take a look at today's squats for me and let me know what you think.

I'll probably get some deadlift vids this week as well.

Thanks in advance guys.
bigalfry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:53 PM   #346
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Bigalfry, you're looking pretty good here. Your trouble starts when your knees go forwards instead of out as you descend. That's limiting your ROM and also forcing you to bend over too much. This bending over looks to be shifting your weight towards your toes.

Try keeping your chest up and pushing your knees OUT as you descend. It's going to feel weird and even weak, but stick with it. Use a light weight, push your knees out and really sit back on your heals as you descend. I think you'll find that you can go much deeper much more comfortably than you think you can.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:36 PM   #347
bigalfry
Max Brawn
Points: 4,796, Level: 44 Points: 4,796, Level: 44 Points: 4,796, Level: 44
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Exp: 12
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Bench
Fav Supp: Beef
bigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
Bigalfry, you're looking pretty good here. Your trouble starts when your knees go forwards instead of out as you descend. That's limiting your ROM and also forcing you to bend over too much. This bending over looks to be shifting your weight towards your toes.

Try keeping your chest up and pushing your knees OUT as you descend. It's going to feel weird and even weak, but stick with it. Use a light weight, push your knees out and really sit back on your heals as you descend. I think you'll find that you can go much deeper much more comfortably than you think you can.
Thanks buddy, I'll give that a shot.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
Deadlift 425
Total = 1061

Meet PRs:
TBD

Training Log:
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17327
bigalfry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:40 PM   #348
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalfry View Post
Thanks buddy, I'll give that a shot.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
Next time you tape, try to get a front or rear view as well.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:48 AM   #349
mohiz
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23

Training Exp: 1 yrs
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: creatine, beta-alanine
mohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributor

Hey, I just had a buddy record my squat form today when I moved into new PR territory... and man what a let-down This is from the 2nd set of my 5x5:

Look at the depth. Jesus Hernandez Christ, how hard can it be? I never thought I'd become one of those guys who miss their depth.

Now, in my defense, note that the orange line on my shorts is NOT parallel with my femurs at the bottom, it makes me look higher than I am. In addition the angle is not great - I wish he'd have shot it a little lower. This fact and my wide stance create an illusion(?) of lacking depth. It's not like I'm trying to cheat by leaving the squats high. Not at all; I'm going as deep as I can, and to be honest if anything it feels like I'm going lower than I did in this earlier video, that's taken from a diff. angle:

It's honestly not a strength issue, because it doesn't feel that heavy that I couldn't handle it. It's also not a mob. issue, because I think I'm pretty supple thanks to spending up to 2 hrs on the daily stretching and foam rolling in front of the TV. That leaves only one conclusion: it's gotta be form!

The wraps seem to make my knees want to travel more forwards; maybe this is the reason why the depth seems off. If my hips are at the same height, but my knees are more forward, they are a little lower as well. The thing that bothers me is that my form feels very good right now, and I don't understand why it looks so bad from the outside. Can you help me?

I've devised a couple of different battle plans for how to move forwards after this disgrace:

a) Just keep going and focus on trying to get lower. After all, as long as the weights are going up I'm getting stronger.
b) Keep going but try to break at the hips and keep the shins more vertical. After all, that's what I used to do.
c) Suck it up and narrowen the stance, turning my toes out. After all, it doesn't mean I'm actually getting weaker if I have to back down on the weight a little.
d) Stop using the knee wraps. After all, wraps are for pussies.

Whaddyall think? Sorry for writing a book.

Regards, Jouni a.k.a. mohiz

***Current goals***
- Get to <10% BF

Last edited by mohiz; 09-18-2013 at 08:13 AM.
mohiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:10 AM   #350
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

You're right that wraps throw you off. They real key for me with wraps was to FIGHT the wraps. It's similar to people who squat with bands around the knees. It forces you to really push out the knees and activate the hips. Just remember, the more you fight the wraps on the way down, the more rebound they'll give you on the way up.

If this is absolutely the deepest you can squat, I would certainly try bringing in your feet just a little and turning them out a few degrees. Yes, you might lift less at first, but once you get the hang of it you may be surprised. A more narrow stance usually means more knee bend at the bottom. Although this generally does mean you can't lift as much, this effect is negated or even reversed when you add in knee wraps. If you wrap the shit out of your knees, push them out on the way down, and bend your knees MORE at the bottom by narrowing your stance, you'll get as much as possible out of the wraps, which means a lot in raw squatting.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote