Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 08-07-2013, 08:13 AM   #961
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravimolasaria View Post
That is HEAVY ... 250 is just superb big Al ... Very very strong squatting ... keep up the great work brother ...
Thanks Ravi.
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2013, 08:14 AM   #962
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100

LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

New supplement stash

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375881271.199882.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	10533
Old 08-07-2013, 09:03 AM   #963
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
New supplement stash

Attachment 10533
I like! It's like the K.I.S.S. principle Simple & effective.

Just think - soon you will be squatting that 250 to depth, just like you have everything else beforehand. I can only imagine how challenging it is to work in that suit, but of course the rewards are much greater as well. Heck, even just knee wraps wear me out quick.
Bench: 286 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1262 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 295 lbs
Deadlift: 520 lbs
Total: 1310 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:05 AM   #964
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatter View Post
I like! It's like the K.I.S.S. principle Simple & effective.

Just think - soon you will be squatting that 250 to depth, just like you have everything else beforehand. I can only imagine how challenging it is to work in that suit, but of course the rewards are much greater as well. Heck, even just knee wraps wear me out quick.
Thanks Jim. I just need to get used to the feel of the gear and the heavier weight. I'll get there.

Couple of days to recover now before first week of equipped bench mesocycle on Friday. Excited!
Old 08-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #965
TomGJD
Max Brawn
Points: 4,721, Level: 43 Points: 4,721, Level: 43 Points: 4,721, Level: 43
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Training Exp: 4
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Creatine
TomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beast

Great stuff man! 250 is a lot of weight on to have on your back. Excellent work.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #966
markievicz
Max Brawn
Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 2.5yrs
Fav Exercise: OHP
markievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master member

Big squats Al, 250kg is a fine weight indeed.
I like how you learn something from each session. I need to do that more often

Twitter: @markievicz5
YouTube: Markievicz5
markievicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #967
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn

Thanks guys. Starting a Paul Key-inspired bench cycle tomorrow night. Lots of raw lockout work and boards and reverse band to overload in the shirt. Tomorrow is benching against Super Mini bands, first raw off a 3 board then shirted off a 2. Both for triples. Excited!!
Old 08-08-2013, 08:40 PM   #968
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
Thanks guys. Starting a Paul Key-inspired bench cycle tomorrow night. Lots of raw lockout work and boards and reverse band to overload in the shirt. Tomorrow is benching against Super Mini bands, first raw off a 3 board then shirted off a 2. Both for triples. Excited!!
Got a writeup anywhere?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:22 AM   #969
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Got a writeup anywhere?
I got it from Clint Smith's log on Elite:

Paul Key bench cycle

The infamous Paul Key has been training with Team Samson for the past few months. During that time, he has suggested tweaks that have/will lead to significant improvements in the bench press for Adam, Brian, and myself; as well as the other members of Team Samson gym. I thought I would take a moment to share some of the basic principles that guide Paul in programming for the bench press.

Paul Key began competing in the bench press in 2000. Since that time his shirted competition bench press has gone from 585 to 840 while his raw bench progressed from 500 to 615. Louie Simmons invited Paul to come train at Westside after a local meet in 2001. Paul benched 585 at that meet in the 275 lb weight class. Paul learned many things that year while training under Louie, George Halbert and Clay Brandenburg. He still uses many of the movements and training ideas learned during that time. After one year of training at Westside, Paul registered a competition bench of 755 lb. Thatís a 170 lb gain in one year!

When setting up a strength training cycle for a multi-ply bencher, Paul utilizes some tried and true methods that are simple yet effective. In Paulís own words: ďI learned a lot training at WSB but I also trimmed some things that weren't necessarily the best for increasing my equipped bench. I kept exercises that seemed to increase my bench and kicked things out that didn't work. That eventually turned into the programming I use now and am starting to implement in our training cycle now.Ē

Raw Lockout Work

It is very important to build raw lockout work for the shirted bench. Raw strength will always be important throughout the entire range of motion, but simply isnít as important in the lower part of the ROM for a huge shirted bench, when the shirt provides the most support. Paul has found the best movements to build lockout are board presses and floor presses against bands or chains. The ideal height of the board will vary somewhat depending on the lifter. Three board is best for most, however long-armed benchers like Paul should focus on 4 boards. It is also good to utilize a close grip sometimes for added emphasis on triceps.

Shirted Reverse Band Benching

Paul likes using the reverse band setup with shirted benching for a few reasons. It allows you to work full ROM without beating you up as much. Paul believes it is key (no pun intended) to practice touching your chest (i.e. Full ROM) in a shirt frequently during training. Many lifters do not actually touch during the meet, and instead may only go to a one/half board. Paul argues that this just isnít the same as going all the way, and lifters may tend to panic at the meet once the boards are removed. It is also common for oneís form to be different when touching the chest when compared with touching boards (even lower boards). I have found this to be the case for me in my own personal experience. I have spent entire training cycles where I became very good at touching one board only to get to the meet and feel helpless when trying to touch my chest. Using reverse bands allows you to touch while still handling heavy weight at the top end. The lightened weight at the bottom will make it harder to touch in a tight shirt, which is better practice.

Reverse band benching can also provide a good indicator of what you are capable of in a meet situation. After one rep in a reverse band setup it is quite possible not only to know how much you can press at the top, but also how much weight it takes to touch. The trick is to know what your deload is at your chest. Setting up the bands under a monolift make it much easier to do. You can raise or lower the mono to increase or decrease your deload. Paul has found that a 100 # deload seems to work best, but the good thing about using a mono is you can easily change the deload each time.

Assistance Day

A second day for accessory movements is something Paul has added into his training recently. The second day is primarily a moderate weight, high volume day. Paul uses bodybuilding type movements for the muscles of the bench press and focuses on training weaknesses. Occasionally Paul will add some speed benching to this day as deemed needed.

Programming

Below is a sample 4 week rotation for how Paul would setup a routine to train shirted bench:

WEEK 1

FIRST MOVEMENT
4 Board Raw Against Monster Mini Bands. Work to a heavy triple
SECOND MOVEMENT
2 Board Shirted Against Monster Mini Bands. Work to heavy triple

WEEK 2

FIRST MOVEMENT
3 Board Shirted Triples
SECOND MOVEMENT
Accessory Rep Work (Sets of 5-8)

WEEK 3

FIRST MOVEMENT
Reverse Band Bench. Warmup Raw to a medium single and then add shirt.
SECOND MOVEMENT
Raw Reverse Band 3 Board. Close Grip. 3-4 Triples.

WEEK 4

FIRST MOVEMENT
Deload. Raw Floor Press. 3-5x5
SECOND MOVEMENT
Accessory Rep Work (Sets of 8-12)

Use the above rotation for two four week cycles and you have an 8 week training cycle for a bench meet. As far as weight selection, this is highly individual and is not tied to certain percentages. The weights used should not be maximal weights but should be heavy. If using this for an 8 week cycle, work to weights that are hard while still leaving some in the tank. Then aim to beat them during the second 4 week rotation. The one day to train 95-100 % would be on the reverse band day, since this is where you test yourself in order to gauge what you can touch and what you can press at the meet.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:22 AM   #970
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn

JB also sent me a longer 8 week cycle which I may well use to gear up for the next meet.