Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:17 PM   #1
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast
Default Strongman programming help please

So my training has been going awesome but I wanted to get some opinions on pressing

Basically I have been benching on Monday, strict pressing on Thursday and doing log press on Saturdays with events.

Also on Monday my secondary lift is an OHP and on Thursday secondary is high incline.

I think I am just pressing too much, but I want to keep the bench day, it makes me feel stronger overall.

Do you guys think it would be better to add log to Thursday? Or should I rethink everything?
Old 07-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

I'll jump in on this here shortly once I get my thoughts collected. Someone kick my in the butt if I don't get in here in the next hour or so
Old 07-30-2013, 09:50 PM   #3
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn

bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Alright, back now.

OK, first, I think you press more than me, so take this with a grain of salt. Or a scoop of whey, which ever you prefer.

I guess my initial question would be why do you feel like you are pressing too much? Are your numbers stagnating, you feeling beat up, or is it just a feeling? If things are going well, I wouldn't change too much unless you feel you are overreaching too far and risking injury.

I completely agree that you should keep the benching. Heavy pressing is good, and you can press heavier from a bench than you can overhead. Strong is strong. But 3 days of pressing doesn't seem like overkill to me. Especially not in strongman, which mostly seems to be about overkill. Since starting with my crew, I am pressing 4x a week and have never felt stronger overhead.

My thought would be if you wanted to not press 3 days a week would be to use the log as your main lift on Thursday for a while. If you still wanted to keep strict OHP in, maybe look at switching it out each week with incline bench. I feel that the log and axle do a better job of building brute strength than a strict BB press. I had been stalled on overhead pressing for several months, then after 2 months of axle work, I came back and hit a 20 pound PR, so it could just that I'm biased too

Do you do other pressing on events days? I know we run keg presses and 1 arm circus DB presses, but those don't usually beat me up too bad. I'll run through your log in the morning and look more closely at what is going on, but I think that going log first on thursday could be a good compromise for a few months at least.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:52 AM   #4
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

I do bench and overhead one day, and overhead only on my 2nd day. Leaves plenty of room for recovery! On the bench/oh day i alternate between heavy bench / oh for reps and heavy oh / bench for reps. Some weeks at events training I add in some log or dumbbell but mostly for very low volume so I still recover good.

I have had great sucess with this the last 6 months.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:01 PM   #5
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn

jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

Thanks for the advice guys.

I am just feeling very beat up. Log has felt very heavy, but I do it after farmers.

After thinking about it, I think I am going to keep this for a couple more months. Once the weather gets cold, I will move log to Thursday so I can do it in the gym. I do not really like to press heavy outside in the cold.

I should also mention that on Mondays I do btn push press. For now I am going to switch every week Monday between btn push press and Klokov press. I think klokovs are light enough to allow my joints to recover.

Brute, I agree with you about log building brute strength. I would probably use a axle if I had one.

Swede, I also agree with you. My pressing sounds similar to yours. I think I will stick it out for a while. I will test my log press in a few weeks to see if changes are needed.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:36 PM   #6
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn

I have been thinking about this a lot, especially what brute said that strict bb press does not build as much brute strength.

I am now thinking strict military press probably has almost no crossover to strongman. For this reason I may make log my main lift on Thursdays.

No changes until I finish out my cycle which is another 4 weeks. Just not sure how I would program it.

Also, I wish I had more strongman equipment, I think I will try to sell my cage again and see if I can get a yoke or some stones.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:37 PM   #7
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn

Let me know how it goes. I'm excited to see how you do.

Also, what state are you in? We've got some guys at my place that make kegs and stones for pretty cheap.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:42 PM   #8
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteforce View Post
Let me know how it goes. I'm excited to see how you do.

Also, what state are you in? We've got some guys at my place that make kegs and stones for pretty cheap.
I am in Pennsylvania, that would be a little far.

I will let you know, I am thinking of maybe 5/3/1 with log, and then my secondary movement can be some kind of strict movement. Possibly still log