Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 06-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #11
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afraziaaaa View Post

I have attached a picture of my homemade pinch grip implement. It is just a 2 pieces of 2x4 nailed together, 3/8" hole drilled through the middle with an eye bolt inserted. It attaches to a plate loadable pin with a carabiner. I think the whole set up cost me $20 total not including the tools, lumber and weights which I already had. It has really helped to increase my grip strength.
Nicely made. Looks easy to make too.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2013, 07:03 PM   #12
afraziaaaa
Max Brawn
Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzarello View Post
Squat depth looks good to me. Looks right at if not below parallel. DL looks good, too. The only thing I would change on DL is try to drop your hips a little more to line your shoulders up with the bar. It could just be the camera angle.
Great pulling/squatting.
Thanks a lot brother. I've gotta say, it felt a lot lower than it looks in the video. That was the first time I took video of myself and my training partner had been telling me that I would sometimes cut my squats short just by a hair. He had also been telling me that I need to push my knees out, and to be honest I had NO IDEA exactly how to do that until yesterday when it just clicked that it means to push my knees out with my hip abductors. I tried it with 135 for a rep or two and was able to get lower in the hole and keep my shins more vertical. This could be a breakthrough for me. We shall see once I video my next squat session.
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:04 PM   #13
afraziaaaa
Max Brawn

afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by markievicz View Post
strong numbers here Aaron

1600 will be a great result, smash on Sir
Thanks. I will be lifting in the 275lb class . Just looking to get a meet under my belt at this point.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:05 PM   #14
afraziaaaa
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Nicely made. Looks easy to make too.
Real easy. Took me less than 10 min.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:14 PM   #15
dzarello
Italian Proud
Max Brawn
Points: 6,751, Level: 54 Points: 6,751, Level: 54 Points: 6,751, Level: 54
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Squats/Deads
Fav Supp: Food
dzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afraziaaaa View Post
Thanks a lot brother. I've gotta say, it felt a lot lower than it looks in the video. That was the first time I took video of myself and my training partner had been telling me that I would sometimes cut my squats short just by a hair. He had also been telling me that I need to push my knees out, and to be honest I had NO IDEA exactly how to do that until yesterday when it just clicked that it means to push my knees out with my hip abductors. I tried it with 135 for a rep or two and was able to get lower in the hole and keep my shins more vertical. This could be a breakthrough for me. We shall see once I video my next squat session.
Glad you had a breakthrough. Hopefully that is what you are looking for. The angle of your videos it was a little hard to tell. Keep at it. You'll get it. I'm still working on my form and will continue.

I just want a place where I can be left alone to get strong and work off some aggression.
-Dave Tate-

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-

dzarello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #16
afraziaaaa
Max Brawn

Default Training 6/19

No video today, but had a great session. Forgot my elbow sleeves and my belt, but the spirit overcame.

Squats:
Worked up in singles to a new PR of 535. My previous PR of 525 was with a belt, so I feel pretty good about this. My training partner said my form looked great, so I think the knees out deal is going to work out well for me. I did feel like I had to sit the bar higher on my delts though, but that may have just been because I didn't have my belt. Honestly at the PR weight, I thought I was going to get stapled to the floor. Stupid brain, haha.

Sumo DL:
These were supposed to be for speed, but I haven't done these since high school. We worked up to 405 and my last rep was about the speed of molasses. Definitely felt them in the hips and especially hamstrings. Will keep these in for sure.

Assistance:
Pull down abs - 130x20, 160x3x12
Good morning - 225x10, 275x7
Seated hamstring curl - 215x15, 285x15
Standing calf raise - 225x20, 300x2x9, 330x6

Fin
Old 06-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #17
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Congrats on that big PR.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:52 AM   #18
afraziaaaa
Max Brawn

Default Training 6/20

Bench accessory day.

My training partner and I have been doing this high volume routine in 3 week pendulum waves every Thursday for about 6 weeks now. I really like it. We usually end up doing somewhere between 32-40 sets on this day. It is more of a power-building style workout, which is mostly what I do for assistance work while keeping the main movements in the 1-3 rep range.

Flat DB Bench - 110sx6x6
Seated DB Military - 85sx6x6
Incline DB tricep press/extension - 45sx6x6
(My partner introduced this exercise to me, and he is the only person I have ever seen do it. This is done with the dumbbells starting on the chest, thumbs towards chest, elbows flared out, extend up similar to a kickback.)
Overhead cable extension - 150x4x12
Pendlay Row - 275x5x9
Fat bar lat pulldown - 220x18, 240x15, 260x2x12
Old 06-21-2013, 04:57 AM   #19
afraziaaaa
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Congrats on that big PR.
Thanks a lot. There's no feeling like hitting a nice PR, especially on the squat. At first, you're not sure you are going to come up with the weight. You unrack it, and are committed. Then, once the hips go back and I get down in the hole, everything goes blank for me and I am in that moment. It is almost like a sort of "high" where there is just a complete escape and immersion in the moment. Then I fire with everything I have, push through the sticking point and am STOKED when I reach the top! Man what a great feeling! That is why the squat is my favorite exercise.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:53 AM   #20
afraziaaaa
Max Brawn

Default Training 6/22

Speed work day. Was not feeling 100% until I hit the end of the speed squats, nor did my hips feel loose at all. I think I feel a deload coming on, and/or a decrease in squat/dead frequency to once per week.

Speed pulls - 315x10x1

Speed squat - 225x3x2, 315x3x2

Snatch grip deadlift - 135x7, 225x2x10

KB swing - 26kgx3x15
Posted video, but it included a song that was pretty raunchy so I took it down. If anyone wants to know what a KB swing is, just ask.

Last edited by afraziaaaa; 06-23-2013 at 03:10 AM.