Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:26 AM   #461
OHDL
Max Brawn
Points: 4,546, Level: 42 Points: 4,546, Level: 42 Points: 4,546, Level: 42
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Skwattzz
Fav Supp: Milk
OHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beast

BBOD, I have a question about my dad. He's 51 and has a hip/lower back problem that has scared him off squats/deads all together. Infact he's almost scared of progression and does not want to lift more when he can because of fear of injury. He has only started to work his legs at all ( Leg curls/ Leg Extensions) he doesnt have an actual program to follow and i wonder if you could recommend one or exercises he should do. Also i have a sister with cerebral palsy and wheelchair bound who needs help getting in the car ect. Im at college most of time so it leaves my dad alone to help my sister so i know increased strength would be very beneficial to my dad but he does not want to progress past a certain point he just spins his wheels. Any advice on a workout or exercises he should focus on or avoid would be great.

"Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way."

- Christopher Hitchens
OHDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2013, 12:19 PM   #462
fabio
New Brawn
Points: 184, Level: 3 Points: 184, Level: 3 Points: 184, Level: 3
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

fabio is off to a bad start

forgot to get my bench filmed but here is my squat, could I get a formcheck please?
thats 89kg on the bar and I weight 79-80

I'm still not allowed to post links yet

youtu.be/8kw9xnRyXxI
fabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:03 PM   #463
Furious
Points: 33, Level: 1 Points: 33, Level: 1 Points: 33, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Furious is off to a good startFurious is off to a good startFurious is off to a good start

Hey man, I am new to these forums but I want to kind of share my experience and ask something. So from 16 years of age I started lifting for about 6 motnhs doing all isolation looking for stupid high volume advanced routines and of course I barely got any results. At 17 I found out about StrongLifts 5x5 and did the program for about 4 months.
Initial lifts Bench 135 Squat 175 Dead 175 Press 95

After 5x5 250 bench / 275 squat /315 Dead / 175 press

Pretty much I got great strength and size results but I had to stop lifting for a few month for stupid excuses like work and school.

Long story short I started lifting again but for some reason I could not hit these maxes for squats or dead-lifts. I got depressed and decided to stop doing strength and switched to GVT. I guess my issue is that my legs are super tight its not normal for me to doing 250 bench and 235 squat /dead-lifts so I am wondering if there is some video I can look into regarding from. I have been just generally feeling down knowing that I can't lift properly. Also I have been doing I.F. to cut down some fat so that might be an issue regarding strength decrease.

Last edited by Furious; 05-20-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #464
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrisulfr View Post
I asked because I watched a Brandon Lilly vid where he said you should train both styles so you have the other to fall back on in a pinch. Seemed like darn good advice.
Yes Lilly nailed it.

I think at some point though it's like a relationship. After 6 month you'll know who you are in love with.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:21 PM   #465
HostDisorder
Points: 84, Level: 1 Points: 84, Level: 1 Points: 84, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

HostDisorder is off to a bad start

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
A few questions that will help me help you.

1) How much has it progressed the last 6 months?
2) What is your height, weight, and age?
3) What program are you using?
1) To be honest, i wouldn't say it's even been 6 months since starting them. It's been about 4-5 months max and over that period, gone from doing sets of 135 to sets of 225 with a PR of around 250
2) Height 5'9" - Weight 145lbs - Age 20
3) Was currently doing 5x5 with a weight i could handle, recently changed to a 1x5 with a weight close to 1RM (two warm up sets of 5).
HostDisorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:41 PM   #466
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelhund_OR View Post
No I feel pretty good deadlifting, it is seemingly just random...

I was putting together a BBQ one day, was on my knees on a hard floor stooping etc and the next day was just crippled... it is so random I have no idea anymore...
I occasionally "throw out" my back, probably in a similar manner. My main recommendation is to not overwork the deadlift. I would recommend never training it at 90%+, and if you are doing rep work pull back the overall volume listed in the program by maybe 40%.

If you do rows, move to one arm rows. These are more lower back friendly.

If you continue to experience back issues I would move away from deadlifts for a while and focus on strengthening you abs, obliques and lower back - via very moderate hyperextensions.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:07 PM   #467
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspersson View Post
Hi beast!
Welcome to MAB.

Quote:
gained 20 kg to my squat in just 3 weeks
Excellent progress.

Quote:
Do you approve of high frequency training with incorporated deloads or will i burn out in a matter of months.
That depends on the structure. The more frequently you train, the less daily volume you should train with. There is a balance, and it can take a lot of time and work to find that perfect balance.

I am a frequency guy, but found that of all the lifts, frequent floor deadlifting provided the least amount of benefit. So if deadlift frequency is used, it is better to rotate between things like rack pulls, power shrugs and deadlifts.

Quote:
Can I make progress for, lets say 6 months?
I've used frequency training for the last 30 months. You can run it non-stop as long as the structure is working for you. It's all about making adjustments.

Quote:
Jim wendler states in his book that you should use the program with caution, whats your thoughts?
It definitely takes an intelligent lifter to run higher frequency training without a coach. There is a tendency to do too much.

Regarding the program listed, is that something you created, or something from his book?

Quote:
how do different exercise frequency affect athletes who are closer to their genetic potential than these athletes were?
At some point lifters will need to start training about 85%. This usually becomes a necessity after the intermediate stages of lifting, when progress slows dramatically.

I believe at this point frequency is beneficial because it provides form practice under heavy loads, works to strengthen ligaments and tendons, CNS, etc.

Beginning to intermediate lifters need more rep work, so they can master form, build muscle and create a decent strength base.

I for one believe if you are after strength, a good plan to follow is:

--Beginner - Full body style workout
--Intermediate - Upper/Lower with moderate volume, training for reps between 65 to 80% for the most part.

The intermediate stage should be run as long as possible, and milked until a lifter is brutally strong. After this point a transition to 85% work can begin. It should start slow, and evolve based on needs.

Squats, I "could" train as much as 6x per week if I wanted to. I just found little benefit beyond 2-3 heavy sessions per week. Bench, 2x sessions a week seemed to be a sweet spot, but 3x a week could be done with some form of HLM rotation.

Deadlift I found that one week 90%, one week variation worked best for me.

Working over 90% frequently did nothing for me/

Old 05-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #468
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHDL View Post
BBOD, I have a question about my dad. He's 51 and has a hip/lower back problem that has scared him off squats/deads all together. Infact he's almost scared of progression and does not want to lift more when he can because of fear of injury. He has only started to work his legs at all ( Leg curls/ Leg Extensions) he doesnt have an actual program to follow and i wonder if you could recommend one or exercises he should do.
I think in his case the best thing to do is to work with his fears. Any form of activity or strengthening is going to help him, especially as he ages.

There are some people who simply won't listen to reason. This can be especially hard with loved ones. At the end of the day it's best to remember that having him exercise at all is a good thing.

I would continue encourage that good behavior. At the end of the day any form of exercise will help with his general health.

Maybe over time as he builds confidence and good habits you can start to show his some transformation stories:

Body Transformations: Amazing Muscle Gain & Fat Loss Transformations | Muscle & Strength

These stories often speak to our loved ones much more than any of our words could.

Quote:
Also i have a sister with cerebral palsy and wheelchair bound who needs help getting in the car ect. Im at college most of time so it leaves my dad alone to help my sister so i know increased strength would be very beneficial to my dad but he does not want to progress past a certain point he just spins his wheels. Any advice on a workout or exercises he should focus on or avoid would be great.

He might be open to exercises like stiff leg dumbbell deadlifts or peg presses. Every moderate weight on these lifts would help to bring up some base strength levels.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:27 PM   #469
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabio View Post
forgot to get my bench filmed but here is my squat, could I get a formcheck please?
thats 89kg on the bar and I weight 79-80

I'm still not allowed to post links yet

youtu.be/8kw9xnRyXxI
Couple of tips:

1) You do not want a thumbless grip. If you roll forward at all because of an off rep that bar can roll right over your head. There have been guys who were knocked out from that very thing.

A tight grip creates a tight upper back. This helps you to stay more upright on hard reps.

2) You are forcing your hips back unnaturally before you descend. It's just a little bit, but it is causing you to lean forward before you squat. This is a common form flaw. Let the hips go back naturally as you squat. It will help you remain more upright.

Other than that your base is there. Good work.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #470
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious View Post
Hey man, I am new to these forums but I want to kind of share my experience and ask something.
Welcome aboard.

Quote:
So from 16 years of age I started lifting for about 6 motnhs doing all isolation looking for stupid high volume advanced routines and of course I barely got any results. At 17 I found out about StrongLifts 5x5 and did the program for about 4 months.
Initial lifts Bench 135 Squat 175 Dead 175 Press 95

After 5x5 250 bench / 275 squat /315 Dead / 175 press

Pretty much I got great strength and size results but I had to stop lifting for a few month for stupid excuses like work and school.
Inconsistency is the biggest killer, as you are probably aware.

Quote:
Long story short I started lifting again but for some reason I could not hit these maxes for squats or dead-lifts. I got depressed and decided to stop doing strength and switched to GVT. I guess my issue is that my legs are super tight its not normal for me to doing 250 bench and 235 squat /dead-lifts so I am wondering if there is some video I can look into regarding from. I have been just generally feeling down knowing that I can't lift properly. Also I have been doing I.F. to cut down some fat so that might be an issue regarding strength decrease.
You need to simplifying. Find a program where the focus ins on improving one rep at a time and have fun.

This isn't fun for you. It needs to be fun. Results take time but you have a lifetime to reach them. Don't pressure yourself.

Even if you do GVT you need progression. Doing a 10x10 with wimpy weight isn't going to do anything for you other than make you sore.

Find a system you enjoy and commit to it for one year.

Here is a sample program based on the "one rep at a time" mindset:

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/wor...y-workout.html

You don't have to do a program like this. Pick whatever you enjoy. Just have fun.