Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Mind and Motivation
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Mind and Motivation This forum is for the cultivation of motivation, inner health, spiritual health and mental strength.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #21
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxonViolence View Post

The Samurai weren't perfect...

It goes without saying that they were far better people than most Americans today.
I think you're being mischieviously provocative (which is no bad thing )

I find it a difficult comparison to make. The Americans I've met have without exception been warm-hearted, charming, polite and generous. Maybe I was just lucky (and wise enough not to mention gun control or foreign policy ). I haven't met any Samurai. The closest I've got is hearing periodic news reports about mentally disturbed people that have attacked others with samurai swords. Quite often they seem to be really attracted to the nobility and purity of a warrior code - perhaps because it's a way of dealing with the complexities of life.

Please note that this is not an unpleasant swipe at you, and I am not lumping you in with them in any way.

It depends on how you define 'better' of course, but perhaps it includes small day-to-day virtues: compassion, thoughtfulness, forgiveness, intelligence, humour, warmth etc. My guess is that these human values made the average American much more pleasant to be around than a Samurai warrior, with his rigid, self-imposed ascetic.

Of course, you would want the Samurai at your back in a fight, but I wonder if the other 99.9% of the time he might be dull, socially inept, and somewhat chilling companion.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #22
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCStrong View Post
I read the entire text - I thought it was just me that found it un readable. Glad to know I am not the only one.
Struggling through that was brave

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote