Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
Reefboy1980
Brawn
Points: 1,358, Level: 20 Points: 1,358, Level: 20 Points: 1,358, Level: 20
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Reefboy1980 has made some quality postsReefboy1980 has made some quality postsReefboy1980 has made some quality postsReefboy1980 has made some quality postsReefboy1980 has made some quality postsReefboy1980 has made some quality postsReefboy1980 has made some quality posts
Default P-F-C Ratios

So I've heard that you only need 0.82 -1grams per pound of lean body mass for optimum protein intake. I've also heard that natural lifters should consume 0.5grams of fat per pound of body weight & then the rest can come from carbs. This is giving me lots of flexibility when it comes to carbs. It's become a nice food is enjoyable

Is what I've heard correct or am I better sicking to a percentage of macros closer to 30-40-30
Reefboy1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2013, 01:44 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

PCF ratios are pretty much useless. They can help when cutting for a bodybuilding show when you need to be ultra-specific, but for 99.99% of us they simply aren't needed.

When you are setting up an eating plan you want to make sure you are eating a minimum amount of protein. Some sources will tell you that you only "need" 150 grams per day, but in many cases it makes sense to eat more. If you need a lot of daily calories, then increase your protein intake in the name of balance.

Eat about 20-30% of your daily calories from fats, or even more if you require a lot of daily calories or have insulin sensitivity.

Carbs can fill in the caloric gaps.

I have never counted PCFs in my life and it's never held me back. If you eat sensibly, balanced and mostly whole, nutritious foods you will never need to count anything. Just make sure you are not undereating fats or protein.

Also, listen to your body. If you are eating mostly whole foods and still feeling hungry, eat.

This is my 2 cents. Some people might have differing opinions.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 04-11-2013 at 01:49 PM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:42 AM   #3
Reefboy1980
Brawn
Points: 1,358, Level: 20 Points: 1,358, Level: 20 Points: 1,358, Level: 20
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Reefboy1980 has made some quality postsReefboy1980 has made some quality postsReefboy1980 has made some quality postsReefboy1980 has made some quality postsReefboy1980 has made some quality postsReefboy1980 has made some quality postsReefboy1980 has made some quality posts

Ok can you consume too much protein or fat?

I'm hitting my recommendations quite easily at the moment. Loving this flexible diet

I'm trying to keep my protein of a minimum of 1gram per 1lb of LBM it's normally around 1.25-1.5 though

My fat is around 0.5grams per pound of body weight. I could quite easily bump this up but can you bump this up too much?

Carbs I don't really concentrate on now, I just fill the gaps in to hit calories. Normally good sources i.e high fiber
Reefboy1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #4
SecondsOut
Max Brawn
Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Oxidane
SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast

hey ReefBoy,
it sounds to me like you're micromanaging and being calculated with your daily diet, possibly even to the point where you're analyzing each meal. if you check my "Diet" log (linked below), you'll see that i sometimes use FitDay to log my meals and get all kinds of fancy pie charts and percentages about my diet. of course, i use this program more out of curiosity than anything -- i don't have any diet "plan" whatsoever. also, just to remind you (because i said this in one of your other threads), i'm naturally skinny with very low lean mass. i was 140 lbs. (at 5'8") before i started lifting. you and i are in the same boat.

that said, in my experience, a "perfectly dialed-in diet" (in quotes because there probably is no such thing, regardless of what people tell you about percentages) does not result in quick gains. yes, you need plenty of protein. yes, you need to eat more on a bulk. yes, you need to consume less while cutting. but even if you reach 100% confidence in your diet and feel you've found some sort of magical ratio, you won't see quick gains. a good diet doesn't affect you like steroids: it will still take a long time for you to notice mass gains, and it will not prevent plateaus in strength.

BtB's post pretty much sums up everything you need to know. there's no point in micromanaging every single meal and trying to "maximize your diet for gains." you're going to be at this for a very long while. you need to be prepared to buckle down for the long haul. if you internalize the idea "i need plenty of protein and significantly higher calories while bulking," i'm sure whatever diet results from this will be great.

Last edited by SecondsOut; 04-20-2013 at 09:29 AM.
SecondsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:02 PM   #5
moeheep
Max Brawn
Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: 1.5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: DEADS
Fav Supp: Condense
moeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite member

Eat - Train HARD - Sleep

All ya need to know!

Best Meet Lifts:
Squat = 325
Bench = 210
Dead = 353
Total = 888

The iron is there during my times of happiness, sadness and anger. The iron is there available through the 4 seasons and inclement weather. The iron is there to either comfort me or motivate me. The Iron manages to show me how strong I am or how humble I need to be. The iron does not yell, but it always demands respect. The iron is not a disciplinarian, but when disrespected, I feel it for a long time. The iron does not love or hate, but we definitely share a strong bond. And no matter how far I stay away or for how long, the iron is there, waiting to be lifted.
moeheep is offline   Reply With Quote