Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:08 PM   #1
syn
Max Brawn
Points: 3,936, Level: 39 Points: 3,936, Level: 39 Points: 3,936, Level: 39
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: coffee
syn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beast
Default bad form/shoulder inbalance

I started training at gym today, usualy train at home.
so for the first time I was able to see my form in a mirror. and my bb rows looked really bad, infact my arms looked different lenghts.

my right shoulder has always felt thight from working on a computer all day but i had no idea it was this wack.

how can I Solve this?

thanks to all who reply
syn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #2
northernbulk
Max Brawn
Points: 710, Level: 14 Points: 710, Level: 14 Points: 710, Level: 14
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: bench
Fav Supp: Whey iso
northernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributor

Loosen up stretch first do you use warm up sets?
Old 04-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #3
jemag
Brawn
Points: 1,050, Level: 17 Points: 1,050, Level: 17 Points: 1,050, Level: 17
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
jemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good posts

I think dynamic stretches before training and warm up sets do help a lot (at least for me), to remove tightness before going into your working sets.

Also mobility works is always nice.

I know Bryce Lewis has a video on shoulder mobility, you might want to check it out :
Old 04-09-2013, 06:02 AM   #4
syn
Max Brawn

syn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beast

Yeah NorthernBulk, I do 3 warm ups.

Thanks for that Video Jemag, I was doing the bare basic, like the first 2 movements from that vid using a piece of bungee cord from my mountain bike.
I'm going to download it onto my phone and do the whole routine before I lift.

Might try it daily - if that would help?
Old 04-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #5
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by syn View Post

Might try it daily - if that would help?
Daily works wonders for shoulder loosening.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:10 AM   #6
syn
Max Brawn

thanks for the input all.

So I was back at the gym this morning and I did a very in-depth warm the warm up felt good, I could feel the benefit from it.
My Form was still off, but I suppose it will take time to correct it.
made big efforts to try and even out my shoulders.

I think its the years of sitting at a desk in work on a computer has caused it.
definitely going to loosen up and stretch every day
Old 04-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #7
Jamesw
Brawn
Points: 1,398, Level: 20 Points: 1,398, Level: 20 Points: 1,398, Level: 20
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: plyo pistol
Jamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributor

Are you dropping the weight down or are you slowly controlling the BB on its way down? Are your shoulders rolling forward at the end of the ROM? (very common) Are you using momentum to "snap" the bar to your chest? This would typically cause a hip issue but possibly mess up the shoulder.

Make sure the bar tracks in a straight line, move slower, pay attention to your shoulders on the way down.

do some chest opening like this
"When I see guys working out for cosmetic reasons, I see vanity exposing them in the worst way, as cartoon characters, billboards for imbalance and insecurity. Strength reveals itself through character." -Henry Rollins
Jamesw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:41 PM   #8
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesw View Post

In addition to the dynamic stretching, this is a good idea. Your chest being tight will cause shoulder issues. If you have a foam roller or a piece of PVC, another way to stretch your chest would be to place the foam roller on the floor. Next, lay on top of it with your spine on top and parallel to the foam roller. Extend your arms to make a T. You should feel a good stretch in the pecs. Do this (or something similar to the video) 3-4 times a week until you are a lot looser and more mobile.

You might also want to try some YTWL work with very light DBs.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #9
syn
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesw View Post
Are you dropping the weight down or are you slowly controlling the BB on its way down? Are your shoulders rolling forward at the end of the ROM? (very common) Are you using momentum to "snap" the bar to your chest? This would typically cause a hip issue but possibly mess up the shoulder.

Make sure the bar tracks in a straight line, move slower, pay attention to your shoulders on the way down.

[/url]
On OH press I'm dropping the weight slowly, and on Rows I lower the bar slowly.
My right shoulder seems roll forward, left seem normal.

I thought I was moving in a straight line on both side - but since I now train in a gym with a mirror, I can see that the right side moves higher than the left, its noticeably uneven.

Thanks for the advice & video - Ill try that exercise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC View Post
In addition to the dynamic stretching, this is a good idea. Your chest being tight will cause shoulder issues. If you have a foam roller or a piece of PVC, another way to stretch your chest would be to place the foam roller on the floor. Next, lay on top of it with your spine on top and parallel to the foam roller. Extend your arms to make a T. You should feel a good stretch in the pecs. Do this (or something similar to the video) 3-4 times a week until you are a lot looser and more mobile.

You might also want to try some YTWL work with very light DBs.
Thanks for this - Ill try this as well, Until now I had only foam rolled my hams & gluts

I really appreciate the advice.