Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-02-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member
Default A linear progression idea I'd like to try

So, JB has turned me on to linear progression and I love it. Some research on it later, I came up with the following routine and wondered what you guys think.

I'm around 1050 total and I have my squat and bench form in very good shape, my deadlift form is recently getting good too. So, I'm not all that advanced yet and I seriously think I need a LOT more volume to keep moving forward as well as I have this past year.

So goals for this program are to get my squat up around 415+, bench around 315 paused,and deadlift at least up over 425, more if it shoots up like I expect it too now that I know how to do it properly.

It's a 12 week program in which I will progress each week by 2.5% as well as by raising my max a bit each week if I make my reps well. Four days a week and two sessions per lift of the big four, a heavy day and a light day. So a heavy session and a light session of something else each day.

Heavy day:
Week 1+2: 3x 10@ 67.5% and 70% of true max, 5 lbs less if that max was really ugly this Saturday at the meet.
Week 3+4: 3x 8@ 72.5% and 75%
week 5+6: 3x 6@ 77.5% and 80%
Week 7+8: 3x 5@ 82.5% and 85% (week 8 might be 2x 4)
Week 9+10: 2x 3@ 87.5% and 90% (week 9 might be 2x 4)
Week 11: 2x2 @92.5%
week 12: 1x 2@ 95%
Test: Mock meet

Each day, I will also be doing a light session of the other upper or lower lift, so Monday: heavy deadlift and light squat, Tuesday: heavy bench and light OH, Thursday: Heavy squat and light deadlift (likely Sumo), Friday: Heavy OHP and light bench. I'm adding this light session purely for volume, form, and hypertrophy, it shouldn't really be all that taxing other than overall. Guys who lift a lot more than me get their volume on their warmups for their heavy session and probably don't need the extra work, but I think I do at this stage.

Light days start at two weeks of 2x 12-15@ 50% and move to 3x 12@55% in weeks 3+4, then taper down in reps all the way down to 3x 5@80%

Those lifts are most important. Assistance is not optional, but also not crucial if I'm not feeling good that day.

Assistance will rotate between working bottom of lift one week and top the next. So, pause reps one week and RAM or Knee Wraps the next week for squat and bench, low and hi Pin for deadlifts, and Inclines and Push Press for OH. Assistance will taper off as weeks progress.

I will also try to do a superset of muscle stuff for the main muscle of each day, quad stuff on squat day, triceps on bench, etc.

Some other odds and ends, Abs and Lats here and there in those supersets at the end, but that is the basic idea. Some strongman stuff thrown in for fun here and there on good days too, etc.

Tons of reps per week, especially on deadlift which I think I have been babying because I wasn't doing it right and always dinging up my back. Now, I do it right and I think it needs some serious work and often, both to hone in form and to get my pitiful max in it a LOT better. I have no trouble squatting or benching twice a week, so no worries there.

If I do this right, I can hit those target numbers at the end. I also intend to eat well during all this. Hopefully not sloppy fat, but I'm sure I'll gain some. We'll see. Might also shed some fat given the volume too, who knows?

Anyway, as I said it's an experiment. Ambitious possibly, but I have a fall back plan with 2 work sets a day instead of 3 if I really start to falter. I don't think so though. I ran out the numbers and I think I will be fine as long as I don't get crazy with assistance stuff. Heck, if I really tank, I can just do BIG again.

So an experiment in old school lifting to see how I do with it. I think it will be hard, but fun too.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links