Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:23 AM   #211
Corcioch
New Brawn
Points: 286, Level: 5 Points: 286, Level: 5 Points: 286, Level: 5
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Education
Corcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good posts

Hey BBOD.

You answered a Q for me a few pages back . . .on nutrition . .thanks for that.

I wonder do you have any advice for me on a good program . . . . something that I could as you said " get stuck into for a year".

I am currently doing 5x5 lifts.

I am doing the following in a week;

Day 1. Bench (5x5), Box Squat ( 5x5 ), deadlift ( 3x5 ) Weighted Dips (3x5). Weighted crunches.

Day2. Box Squat ( 5x5), Standing Press ( 5x5 ) Barbell Rows ( 5x5) Weighted Wide Grip Chins ( 5x5) Plank, Glute Bridges. Ab Wheel.

Day 3 Bench ( 5x5 ) Box Squat (5x5 ) Barbell Rows ( 5x5) Arm Curls ( 3x8) weighted crunches.

I am adding 10lbs to the deadlift every week. I am adding 5lbs to the squat every 2 sessions and I am adding 5lbs to the Bench every 3 workouts or so.

I am making steady progress on each lift bar the Standing Shoulder Press . . .so i have dropped the weight on that right back and will start building slowly each week again.

I am lifting 4 years or so at this stage . . .but much of it was wasted doing bodybuilding style workouts where I stalled and stalled and stalled. I knew nothing about progressive overload and was working to failure all the time . . .I never work to failure now. ( I still work hard mind )

My 1RM's are Bench 242lbs ( these are conversions from kg, my gym is all kg's )

Deadlift 420lbs
Squat 350lbs

These are lifts I have achieved, not estimates or pipe dreams.

I am currently in a caloric deficit as I said to you in my last post. Im eating about 180g Protein a day, 50g Fats and 280g carbs.

I will be following your advice into a reasonable surplus soon, 5/6 weeks time and starting a good long gradual bulk.

Although I am loosing weight at the moment . . .down from 202lbs 6 months ago to 182lbs . .I am building strength for the last 6/ 8 weeks since I started the 5x5's Stronglifts style. . . .I cut all my weights back and built up again.

I am now lifting for 5x5 a heavy weight that before I may only have lifted for 1x6 or 1x8 as part of a pyramid. So I am doing far more work . . .

I have cut out all manner of isolation exercises, pec deck flyes, lateral shoulder raises, leg extensions etc etc.

Should I stay with this type of training long term or switch to say that early intermediate program you listed for someone else a few pages back.

Im not fussy about the prog once I get to do the big compounds a few times a week, squat, deadlift, row, bench . . .I really enjoy those lifts.

Thanks for reading
Corcioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2013, 10:32 AM   #212
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
Just signed up to say this:

Found your channel on YouTube; watched a few of your videos; subscribed; went on this forum; found a link to your Facebook; realized you studied Math and Astrophysics; went "Coooool!! that's what I'm doing too! herpderp"; realized that wasn't an actual conversation starter; decided to post it anyway.
It is around here. We like out science, science fiction, comic books and video games as much as lifting. Almost.

Quote:
However 2 weeks ago my lower back did not recover as quickly from the workout (Instead of 2-3 days it took about 10..), and I essentially panicked.
First and foremost I want to encourage you to take a few months and not try and push the weight. You want to practice form, get into a nice groove with deadlifts, and then slowly add about 5 pounds per week for a while.

Second, I sense your form is off and you are taxing your lower back. If you have a video, that would help. In the meantime, check out this information on proper deadlift setup:

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/vid...ft-set-up.html

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/vid...ck-angles.html

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/vid...ng-angles.html

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:33 AM   #213
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:

And on a totally unrelated topic: How do you feel about supplementing with Omega 3 capsules for the benefit of your wrists and joints?

Cheers from Israel!
Sorry I missed this.

They are rarely a bad choice. The cost is inexpensive, and the healthy benefits many.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:47 AM   #214
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corcioch View Post
H

I wonder do you have any advice for me on a good program . . . . something that I could as you said " get stuck into for a year".

I am currently doing 5x5 lifts.

I am doing the following in a week;

Day 1. Bench (5x5), Box Squat ( 5x5 ), deadlift ( 3x5 ) Weighted Dips (3x5). Weighted crunches.

Day2. Box Squat ( 5x5), Standing Press ( 5x5 ) Barbell Rows ( 5x5) Weighted Wide Grip Chins ( 5x5) Plank, Glute Bridges. Ab Wheel.

Day 3 Bench ( 5x5 ) Box Squat (5x5 ) Barbell Rows ( 5x5) Arm Curls ( 3x8) weighted crunches.

It's not a bad program, but there is some minor restructuring I would do. Can I ask why the reliance on box squats?

What are your primary goals? Both muscle and strength, or pure strength?

If you're looking at both, and don't mind an upper/lower, this is the program I recommend to a lot of guys. Let me know if you have any questions.

Huge Gainer Early Intermediate Strength Building 4 Day Split | Huge Gainer

Old 03-30-2013, 11:18 AM   #215
Corcioch
New Brawn
Points: 286, Level: 5 Points: 286, Level: 5 Points: 286, Level: 5

Training Exp: 4
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Education
Corcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
It's not a bad program, but there is some minor restructuring I would do. Can I ask why the reliance on box squats?

What are your primary goals? Both muscle and strength, or pure strength?

If you're looking at both, and don't mind an upper/lower, this is the program I recommend to a lot of guys. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for the reply.

I saw you mention that prog earlier . . . .

I had a look at it, seems good. Alot in it. I assume the 'Rep Goals' is total for all sets? Reps are high ish . .I do far better on 3 - 5 reps. . . .

I am Box Squatting due to lumbar flexion in my spine . . . .The Box Squatting has been helping me correct and hold my form and shape.
Its not forever . . . but simply forcing knees out did not fix my flexion and my physio tells me its not due to lack of flexibility . . .It is working for me . . .I have lessened the flexion alot.

I suppose strength is my main goal . . .but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to add some bulk . . . .but I've no interest in the bodybuilder type bulk. . . .

I want to keep building my strength . . .adding weight to the bar constantly . . .slowly but surely . .
Corcioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:08 PM   #216
Betelgeuse
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Betelgeuse is off to a bad start

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post

Second, I sense your form is off and you are taxing your lower back. If you have a video, that would help. In the meantime, check out this information on proper deadlift setup:
I watched even more of his videos about deadlift anatomy, and it has been eye-opening.

Thanks a lot for the links!
Betelgeuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:18 AM   #217
Thewardrop
Points: 215, Level: 4 Points: 215, Level: 4 Points: 215, Level: 4
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 7 months
Fav Exercise: Bench press
Thewardrop is off to a bad start

What do you think of these macros for a teenager 16 yo 222 5'9 trying to lose weight , weight lift 3-4x a week + other activities
Cal 2600
pro 260
carb 260
fat 58

what would you suggest?

I have been working out for 7 months ,a lot of gains but now time to lose the fat.

Thanks + i got my macros from Physiques of Greatness

Last edited by Thewardrop; 03-31-2013 at 04:26 AM.
Thewardrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:17 PM   #218
tayjeremy
Brawn
Points: 306, Level: 6 Points: 306, Level: 6 Points: 306, Level: 6

Fav Exercise: DEADLIFTS
Fav Supp: Creatine
tayjeremy is off to a good starttayjeremy is off to a good starttayjeremy is off to a good start

Hey BBOD,

My gym doesn't have a leg press which can be plate loaded. It is a typical stack leg-press.

1) For Legs day 1, should I just keep using the leg press until I max the stack?
Or can I use another machine for the volume such as hack squats which my gym has and can be plate loaded?

2) Also, do you have any recommendations for forearm Size training? I've gotten over the "Strapless only" training so I'm not worried at all if my grip strength is weakened by doing extra forearm work.

Last edited by tayjeremy; 03-31-2013 at 07:19 PM.
tayjeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:19 AM   #219
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corcioch View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I saw you mention that prog earlier . . . .

I had a look at it, seems good. Alot in it. I assume the 'Rep Goals' is total for all sets? Reps are high ish . .I do far better on 3 - 5 reps. . . .

I am Box Squatting due to lumbar flexion in my spine . . . .The Box Squatting has been helping me correct and hold my form and shape.
Its not forever . . . but simply forcing knees out did not fix my flexion and my physio tells me its not due to lack of flexibility . . .It is working for me . . .I have lessened the flexion alot.

I suppose strength is my main goal . . .but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to add some bulk . . . .but I've no interest in the bodybuilder type bulk. . . .

I want to keep building my strength . . .adding weight to the bar constantly . . .slowly but surely . .
Rep goal is total for all sets.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:20 AM   #220
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
I watched even more of his videos about deadlift anatomy, and it has been eye-opening.

Thanks a lot for the links!
Thanks!