Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Introduce Yourself Introduce Yourself to the Muscle and Brawn Community

Old 03-21-2013, 08:15 PM   #11
SecondsOut
Max Brawn
Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Oxidane
SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
And would watching his video blog make my suggestion to the OP invalid for some reason?
lol dude, no offense, but i'm putting you on ignore and i suggest you do the same for me. nothing productive can come from the two of us interacting, and all you ever seem to do is undermine my posts. i don't have time for e-fights.
SecondsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #12
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

marbleminstrel,
I hope the silly stuff didn't put you off. Let me expand on my post a bit. If you are doing a routine that has you squatting hard three times a week, as many beginner routines do, then instead of making wholesale changes you should cut down on the squat days. Squatting all-out three days a week will eventually grind you into the ground. However, dropping that to two days a week can get things going again. Eventually, squatting one time a week will be enough. It's a form of progression.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:36 AM   #13
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondsOut View Post
don't mean to be a dick, !

State your point respectfully. That's what we do here. Stating your opinion is not "being a dick", so no need to go there. We respect all.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 03-22-2013 at 09:44 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:43 AM   #14
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
The dogmatic "Stick to a routine" is to get new lifters to recognize the importance of consistency
Yes, that is exactly my intention.

Regarding other points brought up...

To discuss stalling or linear progression when I am simply trying to just get guys to commit is overstepping the point a bit. I hope they do stall. That is a good problem to have. At that point we talk training evolution/changes.

I will add that if a beginner is training correctly and eating right there will be no true stalling during the first year. There will be progress, and it will be fairly consistent.

This is merely one man's opinion. The truth is found in the gym.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:45 AM   #15
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Quote:
marbleminstrel,
I hope the silly stuff didn't put you off. Let me expand on my post a bit. If you are doing a routine that has you squatting hard three times a week, as many beginner routines do, then instead of making wholesale changes you should cut down on the squat days. Squatting all-out three days a week will eventually grind you into the ground. However, dropping that to two days a week can get things going again. Eventually, squatting one time a week will be enough. It's a form of progression.
I disagree. With some time for adjustment in conditioning and strength, I believe it is possible for anyone to squat three times per week or more. Beginners will be able to because the weights will be light enough to enable recovery but challenging enough to produce results and encourage good form.
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:07 AM   #16
Off Road
Max Brawn

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I will add that if a beginner is training correctly and eating right there will be no true stalling during the first year. There will be progress, and it will be fairly consistent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
I disagree. With some time for adjustment in conditioning and strength, I believe it is possible for anyone to squat three times per week or more. Beginners will be able to because the weights will be light enough to enable recovery but challenging enough to produce results and encourage good form.
I agree with both of you. There is no reason for a new lifter to change anything for a year or two, provided they were doing a decent routine and doing it correctly. Often times though the newer lifter will get ambitious and add weight too quickly or have a crap routine to start with. My point was not to quit the routine or stop working hard, just that cutting back to 2 days a week all-out squatting may get progress and enthusiasm started again. Two different ways to skin a cat; one is to re-set and the other is to increase recovery days. I've seen them both work.

In the end we are all asking for the same thing; keep squatting hard with progressive weights.

Last edited by Off Road; 03-22-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #17
marbleminstrel
New Brawn
Points: 771, Level: 14 Points: 771, Level: 14 Points: 771, Level: 14

marbleminstrel is off to a good startmarbleminstrel is off to a good startmarbleminstrel is off to a good start

Seconds out, I get what you mean, and I knew I would get some answer like that and I agree with you. But I also had the same issue in mind as offroad because the program is drastically different from Stronglifts, though it still has compound movements. But anway, thanks for the advice. I'm gonna do the program for between 7 months to a year, kick ass and gets some gainzz.
marbleminstrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #18
marbleminstrel
New Brawn
Points: 771, Level: 14 Points: 771, Level: 14 Points: 771, Level: 14

marbleminstrel is off to a good startmarbleminstrel is off to a good startmarbleminstrel is off to a good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondsOut View Post
don't mean to be a dick, but you're all missing BBoD's point. if you're accepting his challenge, just choose any program you like and follow it for a year. when the weights get too heavy -- you won't ever have infinite linear progression! -- back off and reset to a lighter weight. and if you're truly accepting his challenge, that's it: end of discussion. lol the whole point was to eliminate all of these questions about "What beginner program should I do?," but you're asking "what beginner program should i do?" Remember that BBoD also made a video about programs, and his message was "the problem isn't the program, the problem is you." You're saying "stronglifts" "didn't work"? But you didn't reset the weights you were using when you stalled, did you? Stalling happens eventually; deal with it in a rational way, not by program hopping. Time to eat, lift, eat, sleep, and repeat!
I did reset a couple time especially in the beginning because of improper forms and injury ( in the squat) And I could just keep adding and adding on the squat, and nothing else. I stalled on the press and the bench press, couldn't do pendlay rows properly either. I did it for a about 8months to a year ( though with 3x5 later on) and I had a plateau ( not for 3 weeks for 3 months) on the bench press/ press and no matter anytimes I kept deloading I what end up increasing the lift to about 2.5kg with slow grinders about 90 % of the reps on 50kg bench ( I know that isn't much but I couldn't bench the bar to start of with) I'm on about 60 kg now in another 3 months. I'm doing above 100kg in the Squat ( I know not much but It was a + 80kg increase in about 7 months. I had good gains but the Squat took my energy to to the rest of the lifts. And my legs looked disproportionate to my upper body. I just thought that a program such as wssb with a 2 upper and 2 lower would suit me better and with more healthy variety. Thanks for the input anyway. I love lift,eat, sleep and repeat
marbleminstrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:01 PM   #19
Off Road
Max Brawn

Good luck to you marbelminstrel. Keep kicking ass and making gains. On that we can all agree