Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:50 AM   #1
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast
Default Scooby: "You can build muscle, and lose fat at the same time"

Opinions?
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2013, 10:01 AM   #2
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
Opinions?
My opinion? Stop researching!

You want to know everything you need to know about building muscle, getting strong, being fit, and staying lean? Do yourself a favor and stop reading all the contradictory crap you will find on the internet, it will drive somebody like you crazy. What you should do is read the John Christy thread, study it, and apply it. Get all your information from one source and one set of principals, that way everything fits together. You just can't go wrong with the information found in that thread. That is the best advice I can give you and my last post on the subject, the end.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/app...on-thread.html
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:21 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:

Opinions?
Watch this:

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:29 AM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I talk to the best bodybuilders in the world. How many of them try to build muscle while losing fat at the same time?

Zero.

Can it be done? For some, to a degree. But it is minimal and inefficient.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #5
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Good video, Watch Jason Blaha allot.
I also read that myself today somewhere, which is why I won't be cutting for a very long time.

I had a thought though, People want to diet down to see their abs If there at a higher body fat percentage and there not visible, but couldn't you instead build them up, using hypertrophy parameters, lots of weighted abdominal work.

People say around 10% is where you start to see abs.
Say you were higher than that percentage, couldn't you end up getting a six pack whilst on your bulk by building your abs and making them bigger and stronger, just like you do with the rest of your muscles? Sure they probably wouldn't be as defined, but surely you could get a set of good looking abs, without been really low in the body fat percentages.

Last edited by LindenGarcia18; 03-18-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:04 AM   #6
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

It's very hard to make your abs actually grow, and even if you do it probably won't be noticeable.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:16 AM   #7
sleepingdog
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,461, Level: 36 Points: 3,461, Level: 36 Points: 3,461, Level: 36
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Starting Strength
Fav Exercise: Heavy bar work
Fav Supp: Steak
sleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
People say around 10% is where you start to see abs.Say you were higher than that percentage, couldn't you end up getting a six pack whilst on your bulk by building your abs and making them bigger and stronger, just like you do with the rest of your muscles? Sure they probably wouldn't be as defined, but surely you could get a set of good looking abs, without been really low in the body fat percentages.
My non-pro opinion on this, is that you will only "grow" your abs to a certain size. The amount of fat on top of them will remain the same, and they will still be masked. Should you be genetically inclined to have individual segments that stand out like pop cans, you would also be increasing the size of your waist, which I don't think I've seen any naturals trying to do.

Personal tips that I've learned along my still short journey:

Leave your ego at the door.
Prepare. Showing up dehydrated, hungry, and tired will guarantee failure.
Be ready to fight for that grinder of a PR.
Listen and learn. Absorb everything you can, and assimilate that knowledge.

Top Gym lifts:
Squat: 415lbs
Deads: 440lbs
Bench: 315lbs
sleepingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:29 AM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:

People say around 10% is where you start to see abs..
This depends on the size of the abs. I can see my top 2 abs coming in at 30%.

On stage at a lot of local bodybuilding shows there are plenty of ripped competitors with little to no visible abs.

This is typically what you see...a hint of abs.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	111.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	7838  

Old 03-18-2013, 11:50 AM   #9
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

So if I can't cut because its bad for someone who's growing, then I'm not going to see my abs, or be able to show off any muscle I've built until I'm around 21? That kind of sucks. Perminant bulk for the next 5 years will surely make me look like crap.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:36 PM   #10
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Abs are over rated, mostly by kids. They help you stand up straight, that is about it. No one has ever said, to me any way, "Man, your posture is great, you must have fantastic abs."

At your age, height and weight, how much you eat should be the least of your concerns. Rather than focusing on the obsessive concern about how you might look of you were actually able to eat 10,000 calories a day, focus on getting stronger. EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL AND TRAIN WELL and you WILL grow. As I stated in one of your other threads, you are still growing, should have a metabolism the rest of us would die for and have not even reached your natural growth peak. Stop worrying about all these little things that don't really matter. At your size, you have minimal body fat and should have some semblance of abs. Enjoy them if they mean that much but realize that if you want to get stronger, heavier and more muscular, you may have to sacrifice them for a while.

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote