Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:51 PM   #11
jax larue
New Brawn
Points: 41, Level: 1 Points: 41, Level: 1 Points: 41, Level: 1
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

jax larue has made some quality postsjax larue has made some quality postsjax larue has made some quality postsjax larue has made some quality postsjax larue has made some quality postsjax larue has made some quality postsjax larue has made some quality postsjax larue has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
The only source I had when I started was Muscle & Fitness and Flex. Pretty much the same routine week after week in a different package.
Same here manI think the only thing good about the modern mags is "probably" the health and nutritional advice
jax larue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2011, 05:57 PM   #12
Trevor Ross
Max Brawn
Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Food
Trevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributor

Nope it's hocus pocus, pullovers work your chest/shoulders, lats, and a portion of your serratus.
Trevor Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #13
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Bump because of question.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:21 PM   #14
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

It feels and looks as though they have a bit, for me, and I haven't even been doing them for very long, really.

Maybe it's a placebo thing. I don't know. But I wasn't actually expecting it to happen, is the thing. I chose them because I figured more lats and chest is always good (for me, I mean), especially in one go, and because they felt great. Seems to strengthen the intercostals, which might or might not have anything to do with it.

So yeah, tentatively, I'd say that in my limited experience so far, that "myth" does have some basis in reality. Don't know exactly how much, or how or why (not a scientist).
Dray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:17 AM   #15
SaxonViolence
Brawn
Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

SaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributor
Cool

Thanks Guys.

When I was young enough that they might have helped, I did them laying along the Bench Backwards—to clear the built-in weight rack—used an empty twenty pound Barbell Bar and a perfectly straight-armed technique...

And all they ever did was make my Shoulders Ache...

So I dropped them.

By the way, learning from Articles and Pictures...

Any sort of Fly or Lateral or Front Raise also seemed good for nothing but to make the Joints ache—in this case, my elbows.

Bend the arm just a Bit though...

And while I generally Preach against Momentum...

With the Fly/Raises a Little Momentum lets one handle Much More Weight.

Yes, I often wish that I knew what I have learned about training over the years, way back in seventh grade when I started training.

Saxon Violence
SaxonViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:41 PM   #16
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

I did them for years in the belief that they would expand my ribcage. My feeling is that they probably don't do anything, but this isn't based on anything concrete.

Always found it an enjoyable exercise, however, and certainly seemed to help my flexibility.

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:31 PM   #17
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
I did them for years in the belief that they would expand my ribcage. My feeling is that they probably don't do anything, but this isn't based on anything concrete.

Always found it an enjoyable exercise, however, and certainly seemed to help my flexibility.
Flexibility when it comes to movin your arm over your head like in a Press? Thats a good point actually.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:54 AM   #18
tayjeremy
Brawn
Points: 306, Level: 6 Points: 306, Level: 6 Points: 306, Level: 6
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Fav Exercise: DEADLIFTS
Fav Supp: Creatine
tayjeremy is off to a good starttayjeremy is off to a good starttayjeremy is off to a good start

Just wondering why people want to expand their rib cages?

Not judging or coming from a negative place.
tayjeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:03 AM   #19
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayjeremy View Post
Just wondering why people want to expand their rib cages?

Not judging or coming from a negative place.
*IF* it were at all possible for a guy with a fairly small, narrow torso to broaden/expand any part of it, might they not want to? Other than bulkin' yer gut, that is.

Widening the lats, is another example. And so on.

Not saying that this exercise will do that for sure, however. Not an area of expertise I can claim as my own. Just (quite possibly misinterpreted or otherwise inaccurate) observations, is all I have to go on at this stage. And even if they've "worked" for me, that's just me. Who knows whether/how it might apply to any given lifter.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:05 AM   #20
TitanCT
Manlet of Malice
Max Brawn
Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

TitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master member

i use a version of these for my lats and side seratus.
TitanCT is offline   Reply With Quote