Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Resources Workouts, Form Videos, Muscle and Strength Training Articles...everything you need. Forum includes the best posts from the forum.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
SCStrong
Max Brawn
Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Beer; Milk is for Babies
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member
Default Front Squat Question(s)

I just added front squats to my routine, today. Compared to my low back squat I lift like a little girl.....

Question One : What is the correct bar position? Even with light weight, I was killing my shoulders.

Question Two: What is a good target ration ( or typical ratio) of weight lifted on back versus front squats?
Example- Hypothetically,if I can lift 250 for 5 on low back then what should my goal be on front squats?
Signed,
Weak and confused in Texas

Last edited by SCStrong; 02-24-2013 at 09:03 PM. Reason: spelling eluded me
SCStrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2013, 09:02 PM   #2
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Front squats are hard at first SC! DOn't get discouraged and don't think in percentages yet as that doesn't really matter. It's a different lift, it's like saying what percentage should your BTN be to your military. Everybody is different and has different issues with various lifts.

Where on your shoulders do they hurt? If your elbows are up properly, the bar should be resting on meat, not bone. Your front delts should be able to hold the weights you're starting with without pain.

Hang in there! They get a lot better as you go along.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:15 PM   #3
SCStrong
Max Brawn

SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Front squats are hard at first SC! DOn't get discouraged and don't think in percentages yet as that doesn't really matter. It's a different lift, it's like saying what percentage should your BTN be to your military. Everybody is different and has different issues with various lifts.

Where on your shoulders do they hurt? If your elbows are up properly, the bar should be resting on meat, not bone. Your front delts should be able to hold the weights you're starting with without pain.

Hang in there! They get a lot better as you go along.
Thanks for the advice- the pain (front delts) is not intense- just different I suppose. I will take it slow.
The weight was very low (135 last set max)... I am weak and worthless. I lost sight of the Force.
Jedi, I am not.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:31 PM   #4
1morerep
Max Brawn
Points: 5,041, Level: 45 Points: 5,041, Level: 45 Points: 5,041, Level: 45
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast

I invest is a front squat harness. Well worth it!!! But yes, they are hard and painful if use a lot of weight Position (at least in my case before the harness) was about two inches below shoulder joint. I do same day as back squat, good mornings and dl. Yeap, all in the same day!!!

540/385/515 (previous meet)

http://www.metalmilitia-va.com/

Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go!!!

1MOREREP 2014
1morerep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:20 AM   #5
fenrisulfr
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn
Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Chicken breast
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

Shit man cheer up. Nobody was good at anything before practicing it. You just need to get your core strength up. Start doing cleans and powercleans for synergistic training. Keep practicing. As for ratios of back to front my 1rm back is 400, front 315.
fenrisulfr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:20 AM   #6
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCStrong View Post
I just added front squats to my routine, today. Compared to my low back squat I lift like a little girl.....

Question One : What is the correct bar position? Even with light weight, I was killing my shoulders.

Question Two: What is a good target ration ( or typical ratio) of weight lifted on back versus front squats?
Example- Hypothetically,if I can lift 250 for 5 on low back then what should my goal be on front squats?
Signed,
Try getting your elbows up and the bar as close to your throat as possible, you should feel like choking when unracking. I think that if you do 250 for 5 on the back squat, 200 for 5 on the fronties is a good short term goal. Also as Mike said its a painfull lift at first but when flexibility gets better you learn to love it =)
Old 02-25-2013, 09:22 AM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCStrong View Post

Signed,
I use one of these:

Amazon.com: Sting Ray: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Sting Ray: Sports & Outdoors

Question 2: I suck at front squats. kill my lower back. My front is maybe 60% of my back.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:32 AM   #8
1morerep
Max Brawn
Points: 5,041, Level: 45 Points: 5,041, Level: 45 Points: 5,041, Level: 45
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast

This is the best option for the money!!!

540/385/515 (previous meet)

http://www.metalmilitia-va.com/

Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go!!!

1MOREREP 2014
1morerep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:41 AM   #9
SCStrong
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrisulfr View Post
Shit man cheer up. Nobody was good at anything before practicing it. You just need to get your core strength up. Start doing cleans and powercleans for synergistic training. Keep practicing. As for ratios of back to front my 1rm back is 400, front 315.
I am not bummed - I was justt razzing my self. ( I have perpetual smart ass disease ha ha ) Thanks for the advice.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:42 AM   #10
SCStrong
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post
Try getting your elbows up and the bar as close to your throat as possible, you should feel like choking when unracking. I think that if you do 250 for 5 on the back squat, 200 for 5 on the fronties is a good short term goal. Also as Mike said its a painfull lift at first but when flexibility gets better you learn to love it =)
Cool, thanks