Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:28 AM   #11
bwys61
Austin Simply Fit #1
Max Brawn
Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 15+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Caffeine
bwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machine

i limit the yolks, but I eat 6-10 eggs at a time
bwys61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2009, 01:03 PM   #12
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I can understanding limiting the yolks if you eat a lot.

But I often see guys who try to weed out all saturated fats from their diet, not knowing you need at least 20 grams per day to function.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:09 PM   #13
bwys61
Austin Simply Fit #1
Max Brawn

bwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machine

one yolk contains almost the daily serving of the good cholesterol needed. Im not watching out for fats, just cholesterol
Old 09-02-2009, 03:30 PM   #14
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwys61 View Post
one yolk contains almost the daily serving of the good cholesterol needed. Im not watching out for fats, just cholesterol
Ah.

I thought you feared the 2 grams of saturated fats.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:37 PM   #15
bwys61
Austin Simply Fit #1
Max Brawn

I shall fear no fat. I shall fear useless carbohydrates that are not worth ingesting, either for insulin reason or taste reasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleandBrawn View Post
Ah.

I thought you feared the 2 grams of saturated fats.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:16 PM   #16
folkprophet
Brawn
Points: 657, Level: 13 Points: 657, Level: 13 Points: 657, Level: 13
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

folkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality posts

I don't think diet is everything. But I don't think exercise is everything either. I think diet AND exercise are everything - but not everything everything.

Really though, it does, very much, depend on your goals. If your goals are to just be the biggest and strongest...just eat everything and lift, lift, lift. If big and strong are a means to achieve shape or something else, then your fat levels matter, and your diet matters more. If you're just trying to basically stay in good health, then basically exercise and basically eat right.

Diet is everything is not a rule any more than any of the other fitness "rules" out there. None of them are really "rules". And it bothers me that so many think of these principles as hardcore rules. It's cause and effect all tied into genetics, age, natural predisposition and attitude.

It's a ridiculously complicated equation. How can anyone say that anything is EVERYTHING?

folkprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:27 PM   #17
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkprophet View Post
It's a ridiculously complicated equation. How can anyone say that anything is EVERYTHING?
I think you, and I and a few other people are going to get along well.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:09 PM   #18
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

I believe diet is 90% for fat loss. And maybe for bodybuilding cutting.

But all to often, and sorry if this is a repeat, I see it trumpeted on certain forums that diet is 90% for gaining muscle mass.

Picking up heavy rocks is 90%. Without heavy rocks, no diet works for building muscle mass.

When R2>R1, then good diet X works. The end.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:31 PM   #19
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

I was thinking about this today.

I think the % value's vary based on what aspect of your training your working on.

You can eat like a bodybuilder all you want, but your only going to either maintain, or lose fat based on how many calories your consuming.

You can lift weights and eat like a normal person getting three squares a day, plus a snack, and assorted junk from time to time, and your going to get stronger and bigger. Assuming you work your butt off at trying to progress.

I would hazard a rough estimate that you could achieve about 70% of your genetic potential doing this. IMO.

You could use the above scenario, and watch your calories, and even lose some weight if you wanted, and get pretty lean, but you would not have achieved your max potential. You'd still be better off than most people.

It is that last 30% of your total potential where having your diet, and your program really dialed in can push you closer to your max potential. If anybody really ever does reach their max potential.

If your bulking, you will have a hard time, depending on your age, of eating super clean, and getting enough calories. Having some well thought out dense calories helps at this point.

Where diet needs to really be clean, and adheared to, is cutting. This is the art part of this sport for a natural lifter. If your diet is not really dialed in, and you have a deadline to hit, then you will probably miss it. I still don't see the umbers adding up to 100% even at this point. There are lots of variables that just are not accounted for.

If I had to assign % to lifting, and diet as an overall, I'd say this.

Bulking:
Lifting 70-80%
Diet 20-30%

Cutting:
Lifting 60-70%
Diet 30-40%
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:54 PM   #20
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

As Casey Butt has revealed, muscle gains are about (or better yet, can/could be):

Year 1 = 16 pounds
Year 2 = 8 pounds
Year 3 = 4 pounds
Year 4 = 2 pounds
Year 5 = 1 pounds

That's about the ball game, folks. Of course, this excludes underweight individuals who start the game 20 to 30 pounds back of the starting line.

So if we spend too much time cutting/undereating during these first few years, it is possible that we could extend this striving to maximum potential by 5 to 10 years. Think of the average gym rat that has been hitting the weights for 15 years with little progress, yet far from their potential.

Truth be told, and we know this, most guys never come close to their natural potential.

I am on the other hand, a small-boned, skinny fat kid who was weak as heck, followed a growth timeline just about dead nuts with what Casey Butt trumpets. I am not going to tell anyone how to eat, but I ate like a freak during my first 3 years. I didn't count anything, but simply stuffed whatever was near into my piehole.

Is this the best method? All I know is that it worked for me. I got strong fast, and big, big and big. After 3 years I weighed about 220. I started at 145 to 155. Did I gain fat? Of course I did. But I also gained 10 to 20 years on other gym rats.

20 years later I ran into some of the guys I used to train with at the local YMCA. They still look the same, and are still training! Granted, they look damn good for the age of 50+, but they still have small arms and legs.

Maybe they are a hardgainer? Maybe they are an undereater? Maybe both?

Why not hit the weights hard, cram food in your hole, and see what happens...