Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #11
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Ahhh yeah, now that really is one hell of a deficit. Yeah that would certainly be a Stiff Leg by default at that height.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2013, 07:59 PM   #12
Paradox
Max Brawn
Points: 4,404, Level: 42 Points: 4,404, Level: 42 Points: 4,404, Level: 42
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: July 2011 (competition)
Training Type: Sheiko
Paradox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beast

I've always heard deficit deadlifts to help with off the floor, and that's the effect they had for me. I trained a lot of deficit (not a huge one, just a normal plate) deadlifts leading up to my last meet (as I was weak off the floor) and neglected my box deadlifts. Needless to say, I was fine off the floor and my lockout sucked.
Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:59 PM   #13
Cutty
Max Brawn
Points: 5,647, Level: 48 Points: 5,647, Level: 48 Points: 5,647, Level: 48
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 3.5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Amino Acids
Cutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master member

I, too have used deficits for getting from floor to knees and then rack pulls from knees to lock out.

I have a hard time getting off the floor (due to mobility and form) but with a deficit it's helping me getting more speed off the floor. IE: I can do 445x5 reg deads, or I can rack pull 605. It is also what works best for you. It's nice being on a forum like this so everyone can give what works for them and gives you some ideas to try.

You might also try deadlifts and really check your form to hopefully help you get where you want to be.
Cutty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:44 AM   #14
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Would it be unwise for me to do deficits,since my form is sketchy on conventional anyway?

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:49 AM   #15
Cutty
Max Brawn
Points: 5,647, Level: 48 Points: 5,647, Level: 48 Points: 5,647, Level: 48
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 3.5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Amino Acids
Cutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master member

If your form is sketchy, work on form. Drill good form. Example: I found the form that I need to use for conventional that I can really pull with speed but I don't practice my form enough so when I get towards my heaviest pulls I revert back to the 'not so great' form just not letting me get enough leverage.

I would highly recommend drilling your form, finding your weaknesses and working on them from there. Everything from where the bar is placed over your feet, to how you hold the bar, where you drop hips, if you have shoulders over/behind/in front of bar.. it all makes a difference. I can tell when I pull with the right form or not. Both forms I have good back, but one I'm driving up over my toes, causing loss of leverage (think almost SDL) or the other time I sit back, pull and it comes up pretty fast.

Videos would definitely be the best way to see where your form is breaking down.
Cutty is online now   Reply With Quote