Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Resources Workouts, Form Videos, Muscle and Strength Training Articles...everything you need. Forum includes the best posts from the forum.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #1
SCStrong
Max Brawn
Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Beer; Milk is for Babies
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member
Default What is correct form for the leg press?

My gym has a leg press on which the platform is flat at the bottom and angled at the top? I see folks using it both ways..... which is correct. Personally, I have short legs and the angled top position does not work well for me. I seem to get more quad involvement in the lower position.

Also, I hear a lot of talk about back injuries from the leg press- How is this possible? When I perform this - my back is flat against the seat. Am I wrong?
Old 01-22-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

I am not sure about the foot placement. I am of the opinion you should do what's comfortable. I think there is very little difference as far is how it targets the leg muscles. Just my take.
As far as back injury, I believe that occurs when the butt leaves the seat at the bottom of the press. Based on my observations this is a not uncommon gym goer mistake and a risky one.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCStrong View Post
Also, I hear a lot of talk about back injuries from the leg press- How is this possible? When I perform this - my back is flat against the seat. Am I wrong?
For leg injuries, I could see guys locking out hard or something like that or letting the weight slam down on them--those are recipes for disaster.

As far as back issues -- I have chronic back issues and different leg press machines feel completely different on my back. I can load 2 plates per side and do 5 reps and tell if I am ever going to be able to use one. There are 3 in my gym. I can only use one of them without discomfort.

On the leg press I use, the back angle is adjustable, foot platform is not. I've read articles that talked about toes straight, angled-in, and angled-out for different purposes.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:15 PM   #4
SCStrong
Max Brawn

SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

The one I have the back nor the platform are adjustable.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:00 PM   #5
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

People try to get too much range of motion at the bottom of the leg press. Their pelvis tilts back and their butt tucks under. This is a horrible position, and the reason most people can't get a good deep squat. Limit the range of motion so your back stays on the seat and you won't move the weights very far, but you'll be much safer.

These issues are the reason I don't go heavy on leg press. I use it for higher reps, anywhere from 12-50 rep sets. Don't lock your knees at the top so the tension stays on the muscle and you'll get an awesome burn in your quads. Good stuff.

Oh, and don't put your feet too low. Other than that, just get where you feel comfortable.
Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:20 AM   #6
Trevor Lane
I am a VIKING!
Max Brawn
Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: A few
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: T-Bomb II
Trevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beast

The proper form for leg presses is
Trevor Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:07 AM   #7
SCStrong
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Lane View Post
The proper form for leg presses is
Yes but we use the leg press as assistance work so will get bigger
Old 01-23-2013, 09:13 AM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
People try to get too much range of motion at the bottom of the leg press. Their pelvis tilts back and their butt tucks under.
I think I have this issue on leg presses. I see guys doing 1/8th reps with one thousand pounds and my inner deep squatter wants to do ATG with 1000 pounds, but it always ends up tweaking something.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:29 PM   #9
hercules455
Brawn
Points: 451, Level: 9 Points: 451, Level: 9 Points: 451, Level: 9
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 14
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: DEADLIFT!
Fav Supp: AAEFX KOTIC
hercules455 is a consistent contributorhercules455 is a consistent contributorhercules455 is a consistent contributorhercules455 is a consistent contributorhercules455 is a consistent contributorhercules455 is a consistent contributorhercules455 is a consistent contributorhercules455 is a consistent contributorhercules455 is a consistent contributorhercules455 is a consistent contributorhercules455 is a consistent contributor

You should be around 90 degrees when you lower the weight to your chest. Don't go so deep that your lower back comes off the bench because this could lead to an injury. Foot placement will hit different parts of your quads. With a norrow stance you will put more focus on the outer quads. Put your feet high on the platform and push all your heels you hit a lot more hamstring.
hercules455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:21 PM   #10
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

...also, try to avoid knock knee syndrome. I went to an ACL injury seminar last weekend. One of the take home points was "knees out when you squat, jump, or land."

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote