Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:35 PM   #11
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilinmotion View Post
My second ever powerlifting meet back years ago my last DL was 515....550 was loaded and i got it...at the time 515 was the max i ever got prior to the meet.
Hell yeah. I've had to fight this mentality a lot lately, since for the first time in my training life I'm really focussing on strength exclusively, and my weights have gone up. It's more of an issue during training than when it comes time to max. After a few years of using similiar weights, you get an idea in your head of how heavy a certain weight is. You have to get past that barrier to keep moving forward.

You really see the difference in perception when you train with weak people. All of a sudden I'm a freaking hero because I have 2pps on the bar for bench, but to me that's just not that heavy. 3pps, now that's effing heavy to me, but it isn't for tons of lifters.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2013, 09:44 PM   #12
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: the one that doesn't hurt
Fav Supp: Milk
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

You CANNOT train too heavy! When it's "too heavy," the bar simply won't move!
Old 01-19-2013, 10:14 PM   #13
evilinmotion
Evil Member
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,228, Level: 19 Points: 1,228, Level: 19 Points: 1,228, Level: 19
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 18 (13 powerlifting)
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: MHP
evilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
Hell yeah. I've had to fight this mentality a lot lately, since for the first time in my training life I'm really focussing on strength exclusively, and my weights have gone up. It's more of an issue during training than when it comes time to max. After a few years of using similiar weights, you get an idea in your head of how heavy a certain weight is. You have to get past that barrier to keep moving forward.

You really see the difference in perception when you train with weak people. All of a sudden I'm a freaking hero because I have 2pps on the bar for bench, but to me that's just not that heavy. 3pps, now that's effing heavy to me, but it isn't for tons of lifters.
I see you are in Hood, how are the gyms there now? last time I was there was in 1995 and I use to go to a small gym close to III corps HQ's by the CATB

Type 2 Diabetic / A1C: 12.9% @ 07 Aug 2013
evilinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:47 PM   #14
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilinmotion View Post
I see you are in Hood, how are the gyms there now? last time I was there was in 1995 and I use to go to a small gym close to III corps HQ's by the CATB
Every single gym I've been to here sucks. Evidently there's one gym that's awesome, but it's been closed for renovations since before I PCS'd here. There's a crossfit-style gym in the location where they do combatives that I'm hoping to use, since they have bounce plates and other good stuff, but I mostly just train at home.

There are a few small gyms that are all terrible. A bench, a smith machine, and a dozen single use machines do not a good gym make. If there's no where to do deadlifts and not a single squat rack, no one is getting strong.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote