Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #11
Bill
Max Brawn
Points: 4,062, Level: 40 Points: 4,062, Level: 40 Points: 4,062, Level: 40
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Drag Race Speed Champion!
Bill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machine
Default http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/images/editor/smilie.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverly McD View Post
You might want to practice taking all three lifts with commands several times before you hit the platform.

Best of luck Bill!!
Thank you.

Worked on benching today according to the Bench, press and rack commands.

I don't think i'll have an issue with squat or DL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
My personal opinion would be to get a decent number in for that second squat. I wouldn't take any risks. Mentally if I low-balled the squat because I missed my second and third attempts I would have a harder time focusing the rest of the meet.

I am more conservative than most, but there ya have it I would probably go with a 2nd squat attempt that you have done in the gym.
So go under by pr, say 385ish, then go for a pr on the 3rd squat?
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #12
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

If I had hit 410 in the gym on squats, I would probably do this:

Opener - 350
2nd - 405
3rd - PR attempt based on how I felt on 2nd.

If 405 felt great and I start to think...man, I should do 425 on my next squat. I would probably do 420

Like I said, I am conservative. I like to save my 3rd attempt for a big PR, and use my second to tie or be slightly under my recent gym PR.

Just my way of doing things. So, others might disagree.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #13
Beverly McD
Max Brawn
Points: 2,218, Level: 28 Points: 2,218, Level: 28 Points: 2,218, Level: 28
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: Since 1987
Training Type: Powerlifting
Beverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machine

Not sure what Fed you're lifting in, but you may be able to change your attempts even after you submit them to the table at the meet.
So, if your warm-ups don't feel good, you can go to the score table and drop your opener, if you do it early enough.
Beverly McD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:33 PM   #14
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

I think the key here is to be flexible.

First attempt should be around 85% as Al says something you know you will get no matter what.
Second is usually around 95%, then go for it on your third.

However, if your warmups go crappy, there's a long wait between lifts, the judges are meaner than junk yard dogs, the bench doesn't feel right, whatever. Then adjust downwards as you go.

If you are feeling super good and everything is going your way, adjust upwards.

Your first lifts should be set, but after that, don't get tunnel vision and stick to a plan that sounded good going in, but doesn't seem feasible on the day itself.

And JB has a good point too. Don't get too greedy early on. I went for a big squat (for me) and it really gave me a beating that negatively affected the rest of my lifts that day.

On the bright side, your first meet everything is a PR. You can't go wrong.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96

Last edited by MikeM; 01-03-2013 at 03:37 PM.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:07 PM   #15
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Been thinking about this a lot myself with the meet coming up in February. It will be a whole different world from what I've done at the strongman contests where the weight was set and you went for distance/reps. Should be fun.

When going for broke on squat and bench, should I be keeping in mind that my deadlift is where I will be getting the highest percentage of my total and dial them back a bit? Or just go balls out and see what happens? Or just stop worrying about it and get on the platform
Old 01-04-2013, 08:14 AM   #16
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Spider Solitare Four Suit Champion! Pick Up Sticks 3D Champion!
Tournaments Won: 3

Training Exp: 15
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteforce View Post
Been thinking about this a lot myself with the meet coming up in February. It will be a whole different world from what I've done at the strongman contests where the weight was set and you went for distance/reps. Should be fun.

When going for broke on squat and bench, should I be keeping in mind that my deadlift is where I will be getting the highest percentage of my total and dial them back a bit? Or just go balls out and see what happens? Or just stop worrying about it and get on the platform

I would take pretty safe 1st and 2nd attempts on everything. I personally dont go for a weight I have not done in the gym until my 3rd attempts. Sometimes I will even take a weight I have done in the gym as a third, because lets be honest.......its a different world! I have seen guys totals drop 100lbs from what they could hit in the gym.

Another thing to keep in mind, I also look at my opening attempt as my last warm up. I am normally 100lbs away from where I want to end up on my 3rd. I think of the 1st attempt as a lift that should allow me 2 more attempts in that lift.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #17
emekajokammor
Menace
Max Brawn
Points: 9,293, Level: 64 Points: 9,293, Level: 64 Points: 9,293, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 7
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Probably seated row
Fav Supp: Anabolic Pump
emekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Byrd View Post
With your strength numbers in the gym, it would be great to see you cross over from time to time. Its lifters like you who are well rounded that are great for all strength sports!
Thanks brother, your best lifts are INSANE!! Crazy strength you have.

www.EmekaOkammor.com

Philippians 4:13
"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

Luke 1:37
"For with God nothing shall be impossible."

Ronnie Coleman Signature Series V.I.P. Athlete

www.thesimplefitness.com
emekajokammor is offline   Reply With Quote