Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health > Kettlebell Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Kettlebell Training Discuss Kettlebell Training and Workouts

Old 05-21-2012, 01:13 PM   #1
susieQ
Brawn
Points: 1,264, Level: 19 Points: 1,264, Level: 19 Points: 1,264, Level: 19
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

susieQ is a consistent contributorsusieQ is a consistent contributorsusieQ is a consistent contributorsusieQ is a consistent contributorsusieQ is a consistent contributorsusieQ is a consistent contributorsusieQ is a consistent contributorsusieQ is a consistent contributorsusieQ is a consistent contributorsusieQ is a consistent contributorsusieQ is a consistent contributor
Default Benefits of using a kettlebell

What are the benefits of using a kettlebell over using a barbell or weights? Are they easier to lift? Or is it just a personal preferrence? I have never used them before but have heard a bit about them.
susieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susieQ View Post
What are the benefits of using a kettlebell over using a barbell or weights? Are they easier to lift? Or is it just a personal preferrence? I have never used them before but have heard a bit about them.
I will defer to BABS on this one. IMHO, it is a matter of preference.

OBX Open August, 2014:
Squat 308 PR
Bench 176
Deadlift 402 PR
Total - 886 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by susieQ View Post
No, they're not easier to lift, sometimes they can be harder both because of the shape and the way the centre of gravity is off in relation to a barbell/dumbbell. Take flyes for example, the dumbell sits above the wrist bone whereas a kettlebell hangs behind the forearm, resting on the outside of the limb and therefore still exerting a downward pull, even when the fly is at the topmost position.

Because they are thrwon about a lot more than in most BB/Db workouts, there is always the added danger of injury through misjudging or mistiming a catch against a forearm or around the body etc. Breakages of bones have been known to happen even with the best form; though that can happen with barbells as well, during heavy olympic lifts etc.

For most that employ KBs to any degree in a workout, there tends to be a preference for wanting to use them as an added training tool and they're certainly a fun element, even at the higher weights.

Front squats work well with KBs etc, probably a lot easier than a barbell front squat; take 2 x 16kg or 20kg KBs and you soon have yourself a workout, but the issues is cleaning them first which is a lot more complex; whereas a barbell is normally set on a rack and easier to get in to the intitial position for the exercise, such as the front squat.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:59 PM   #4
angie828
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,936, Level: 26 Points: 1,936, Level: 26 Points: 1,936, Level: 26
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

angie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributor

I agree that they are a fun element to add to your workout. I do not use them all the time. I just do them when I need a change or when I am bored. Again I think that it is a personal preferrence.
angie828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
wvchopper
Points: 872, Level: 15 Points: 872, Level: 15 Points: 872, Level: 15
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 3.5 of serious training
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: becoming a squat guy
Fav Supp: Wheybolic extreme 60
wvchopper has made some quality postswvchopper has made some quality postswvchopper has made some quality postswvchopper has made some quality postswvchopper has made some quality postswvchopper has made some quality posts

I use them for the conditioning phase of my training. They will give you an awesome lower back pump:-)
wvchopper is offline   Reply With Quote