Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Resources Workouts, Form Videos, Muscle and Strength Training Articles...everything you need. Forum includes the best posts from the forum.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #811
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Ok, 120 pounds of chains incoming.

March on soldiers.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2012, 05:23 PM   #812
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Rock 'n' roll!
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:26 PM   #813
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Interesting video from the Power Project relating to our discussion on staying upright:

Could the root cause be lower down the chain?

Last edited by BendtheBar; 12-30-2012 at 01:40 PM.
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #814
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

He's really thrusting his arse backwards on those box squats. It looks exaggerated to me.

That's common among a lot of the Rippetoe guys. They tend to drive their butts back almost unnaturally before descending.

Edit: I now hear Mark addressing that.

In this guy's case it's fairly simple. It's not a very natural squat. It's more form-locked and mechanical. He's forcing those hips way back before he descends instead of letting them move back naturally as he descends.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:02 PM   #815
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100

LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

I was just thinking that for Faz, the lower bar position may cause him to sit his hips back more and lose his upright chest position.

I look forward to seeing his thoughts later.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:26 PM   #816
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
I was just thinking that for Faz, the lower bar position may cause him to sit his hips back more and lose his upright chest position.

Sorry I missed that convo and was probably sticking my nose in the wrong place.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #817
Fazc
Max Brawn

Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:

Mark raises a few good points in that video, however they are all things I've already thought of and have implemented changes to correct.

However the last and final thing thing to correct is quad weakness. I know correcting quad weakness will allow me a *more* upright position relative to squatting with weak quads. This will be true whether it's low or high bar.

My conundrum is this; will the low bar position still prevent me from having the overall type of squatting form I want despite improving that key area or put in another way, will low bar prevent me from putting my quads in a position where they can be used optimally.

From out last exchange further up, I didn't get the feeling you understood fully what I was trying to put across. I think if only I can make you understand you will know what I'm trying to accomplish here.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:07 PM   #818
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn

Ok so now I understand and I guess my answer will be similar to your point above: low bar to high bar is around 2inches difference max. Stronger quads will enable you to maximise quad involvement AND lower back from a lower bar I think.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:13 PM   #819
Fazc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Ok so now I understand and I guess my answer will be similar to your point above: low bar to high bar is around 2inches difference max. Stronger quads will enable you to maximise quad involvement AND lower back from a lower bar I think.
Yes stronger quads will help no matter high or low bar. I am certain of that.

But my conundrum is whether low bar will allow me to squat in the way I want to squat when I have better quads. Or will the low bar itself prevent the form from happening.

There is no quick and easy answer here, it's a wait and see situation.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:51 AM   #820
Fazc
Max Brawn

Since my raw strength is getting back up there now, and my body feels horrible right now from overwork I was thinking of going back to a 2 weeks on, 1 week off kinda deal. That should allow me to avoid injury moving forward now, which is massively important especially now, and should provide some periodisation I need now.

Tossing this idea around:

Saturday:

Low Bar Squat, Paused Bench, Deadlift - Top single

Sunday:

High Bar Squat, Bench, SLDL - Top 8

Tuesday:

High Bar Squat, Bench, SLDL - Top 3

Thursday:

High Bar Squat, Bench, SLDL - Top 5

Done 2 weeks heavy, 1 week off. BUT that's subject to change depending on a few things the next few days...

Last edited by Fazc; 01-01-2013 at 09:55 AM.