Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:18 PM   #1
SCStrong
Max Brawn
Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Beer; Milk is for Babies
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member
Default Squat Questions

I am sure there is already a place to post this but....
A few squat questions:

1- I seem to be feeling my deep squats more in my glutes and lower back as oppossed to my quauds- Is this normal? Do I need to correct something?

2- This may sound stupid but I am a noob - When I am squating heavy, my face gets really red and it feels like my eyes are about to pop out.... I am assuming this is just maximum effort ( and therefore, a good thing) but just to be sure --- do I need to be worried here?
Old 12-01-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

A few followup questions:

1) How wide is your stance?

2) Nope. That's how she goes. beet face is normal.

Regarding point one, we all have different weaknesses. Lower back weakness is common for many. Some squatters feel squats in their quads the next day, some in their hammies, etc.

Squats are a compound exercise so where you feel them will depend on stance, bodypart strength, etc.

I will say that regardless of where you are feeling them, you should take a video if you can so we can point out any major flaws or areas of concern. Many times new squatters make the same common mistakes that lead to under-taxing the lower back. Things like, elbows flying up in the hole due to lack of focus and back/arm tightness, going too low bar for their body type, rising too much with the hips while not focusing on driving the head and shoulders into the bar.

If you can't get a video online, try and concentrate on these things and that will help relieve the pounding your lower back takes.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:51 PM   #3
SCStrong
Max Brawn
Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Beer; Milk is for Babies
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
A few followup questions:

1) How wide is your stance?

2) Nope. That's how she goes. beet face is normal.

Regarding point one, we all have different weaknesses. Lower back weakness is common for many. Some squatters feel squats in their quads the next day, some in their hammies, etc.

Squats are a compound exercise so where you feel them will depend on stance, bodypart strength, etc.

I will say that regardless of where you are feeling them, you should take a video if you can so we can point out any major flaws or areas of concern. Many times new squatters make the same common mistakes that lead to under-taxing the lower back. Things like, elbows flying up in the hole due to lack of focus and back/arm tightness, going too low bar for their body type, rising too much with the hips while not focusing on driving the head and shoulders into the bar.

If you can't get a video online, try and concentrate on these things and that will help relieve the pounding your lower back takes.
My stance is slightly wider than shouder width and I have tried to focus on sitting back first and leading with my head (been watching Rip's videos online ).... My lower back is not hurting per se, just feeling the squats there and in my glutes (mostly glutes) I just wanted to make sure I was not short changing my thighs.

As for video - I cannot do that right now but I plan to post some, ASAP
Thanks!!
Old 12-01-2012, 10:15 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCStrong View Post
My stance is slightly wider than shouder width and I have tried to focus on sitting back first and leading with my head (been watching Rip's videos online ).... My lower back is not hurting per se, just feeling the squats there and in my glutes (mostly glutes) I just wanted to make sure I was not short changing my thighs.
!
Some times guys sit too back to the point they turn the squat into more of a clunky lift than a natural lift. It is common among lifters who listen to Rippetoe to see guys forcing the hips back too much and slightly folding over a bit, and or almost hyperextending their lower back and squatting with a bubble butt.

Not saying this is the case for you, but wanted to point it out in case.

Any unwanted pressure/stress you can take off the lower back is good.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:45 AM   #5
GBB
Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

GBB is off to a good startGBB is off to a good startGBB is off to a good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCStrong View Post
I am sure there is already a place to post this but....
A few squat questions:

1- I seem to be feeling my deep squats more in my glutes and lower back as oppossed to my quauds- Is this normal? Do I need to correct something?

2- This may sound stupid but I am a noob - When I am squating heavy, my face gets really red and it feels like my eyes are about to pop out.... I am assuming this is just maximum effort ( and therefore, a good thing) but just to be sure --- do I need to be worried here?
For the second point. When you take a breath before you squat you should breathe into your belly, not your chest.

If you feel your shoulders and the bar raise up when you take a breath you are are breathing into the wrong place; your stomach should expand, not your chest.

I was having the same issue and found this stopped making me feel like my head was going to pop every time I squatted.
GBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:10 PM   #6
WilldBill88
King of The Cowboys
Max Brawn
Points: 5,489, Level: 47 Points: 5,489, Level: 47 Points: 5,489, Level: 47
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 2 Years
Fav Supp: Food
WilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beast

Sometimes I feel it in my hams and sometimes I feel it more in my quads the next day. The main thing I focus on when squating is keeping my head up in a neutral position, chest up, arch my back and keep elbows down. Other than that I dont really worry about sticking my butt out too mucn. I just go down low and drive up and try to my best to maintain good form and keep my arch.
WilldBill88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:45 PM   #7
Michael Neal
Points: 208, Level: 4 Points: 208, Level: 4 Points: 208, Level: 4
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 21
Training Type: Powerlifting
Michael Neal has made some good postsMichael Neal has made some good postsMichael Neal has made some good postsMichael Neal has made some good postsMichael Neal has made some good postsMichael Neal has made some good postsMichael Neal has made some good postsMichael Neal has made some good posts

Hard to say for sure without video but probably nothing wrong. As for feeling like your head will explode, I've popped blood vessels in my face and my eyes, it clears up, just your body's way of handling the increase in pressure. No long term problems.
Michael Neal is offline   Reply With Quote