Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:51 PM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default 3,2,1,0 Powerlifting Meet Countdown

3, 2, 1, 0 Meet Countdown - Competition Preparation | Breaking Muscle

Chris Duffin

In preparing for a powerlifting meet I have seen lots of overthinking, overworking, and overstressing when it comes to people figuring out how to setup their training cycle to perform the best on competition day. Even those who are not powerlifters should get something from the following article by seeing an extremely simple, yet extremely effective method for maximizing performance for a specific day. Although the system in this article is incredibly simple to put into place, it also happens to work like a charm every time. I call it the 3, 2, 1, 0 Meet Countdown.

The first piece of the countdown has the athlete focus on dialing in what they are going to attempt at a meet. They are forced to define those numbers (or close to them) in advance of the meet. It is important for a lifter to have these numbers defined so they are not second guessing their attempts on competition day. This allows them to focus on their performance. There is enough pressure on the day of the meet, so anything you can solidify beforehand has a positive effect. This is accomplished by the following progression:

3 weeks out – Lifter attempts the planned 3rd attempt at the meet / max attempt
2 weeks out – Lifter works up to planned 2nd attempt at the meet
1 week out – Lifter works up to planned 1st attempt (opener) at the meet
0 weeks out – Week of meet, lifter makes zero attempts until day of meet

The second piece of the countdown manages the workout volume leading into the meet. Combined with the overload and then deload in maximal attempts listed above, we begin the “realization” phase. The realization phase is when you deload in a manner that your central nervous system (CNS) and muscles recover at a greater rate than the fatigue induced by further increased workload. It is important this is timed correctly so you don’t also begin to lose the training response from your workouts that has developed your strength levels. When applied properly the realization phase allows you to realize your full potential strength without also being overcome by CNS and muscle fatigue.

The second piece to the countdown is again mind-numbingly simple and easy to implement. In a typical training session I let my athletes do no more than three assistance exercises per training session following their core lift (a recent article by Nick Horton articulates this fairly well, albeit he does three total per session where we do a core lift followed by three assistance).

3 weeks out – Lifter continues using 3 assistance exercises after core lift
2 weeks out – Lifter drops to 2 assistance exercises after core lift
1 weeks out – Lifter drops to 1 assistance exercises after core lift
0 weeks out – Week of the meet, the lifter does zero assistance exercises and only light stretching

And there you have it, the 3, 2, 1, 0 Meet Countdown.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2014, 11:52 AM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Bumping and making a sticky.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:43 PM   #3
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Keep in mind Duffin is a mad man lol!

Still pretty close to what we do though, with the big exception is that we dont take 3rd attempt type numbers in the gym very often.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:08 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Byrd View Post
is that we dont take 3rd attempt type numbers in the gym very often.
I agree with this. It's nothing I would personally do. I would maybe hit my old meet PR.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:49 AM   #5
KD5NFW
13 in 15
Max Brawn
Points: 12,466, Level: 73 Points: 12,466, Level: 73 Points: 12,466, Level: 73
Activity: 37% Activity: 37% Activity: 37%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: yes
Fav Supp: meat
KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!

So for the 3 weeks are we just working up to a heavy single then moving on to assistance work, or working up to a heavy single then backing off and hitting maybe a 3x3 or something? Sorry for the newb questions
Dead 227.5 (501.55) 11/16/2014
Total 572.5 (1,262.13) 11/16/2014
KD5NFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:39 AM   #6
Shorts
Hulk Smash!
Max Brawn
Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 5
Fav Supp: FOOD, nom nom
Shorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machine

Definitely follow the progression, but never come close to my 3rd attempt in the gym. It is weird but I am always hitting numbers I would never hit in the gym at a meet so I never try to come close to a third attempt.

Class I Total @ 198: 525/335/600 (1460)

"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training.... What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
-Socrates
Shorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:44 AM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD5NFW View Post
So for the 3 weeks are we just working up to a heavy single then moving on to assistance work, or working up to a heavy single then backing off and hitting maybe a 3x3 or something? Sorry for the newb questions
You are basically just working up to the single rep. You are staying sharp and peaking while dropping volume.

This can be intimidating, but it works well. I only used daily singles for 2-3 years and it worked like a charm.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:56 AM   #8
KD5NFW
13 in 15
Max Brawn
Points: 12,466, Level: 73 Points: 12,466, Level: 73 Points: 12,466, Level: 73
Activity: 37% Activity: 37% Activity: 37%

Training Exp: 3
Fav Exercise: yes
Fav Supp: meat
KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorts View Post
Definitely follow the progression, but never come close to my 3rd attempt in the gym. It is weird but I am always hitting numbers I would never hit in the gym at a meet so I never try to come close to a third attempt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
You are basically just working up to the single rep. You are staying sharp and peaking while dropping volume.

This can be intimidating, but it works well. I only used daily singles for 2-3 years and it worked like a charm.
Thanks guys that's what I shall do then! And yeah Shorts, no way in hell I would try to hit a 3rd attempt in the gym, that's pure madness hahaha !!!
Dead 227.5 (501.55) 11/16/2014
Total 572.5 (1,262.13) 11/16/2014
KD5NFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:38 PM   #9
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

So would I be out of line then to plan on my current 1rm as my 2nd lift? Thus forcing a PR attempt for my third. I have about 8 weeks until my first meet, trying to get my head around this.

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:00 PM   #10
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
So would I be out of line then to plan on my current 1rm as my 2nd lift? Thus forcing a PR attempt for my third. I have about 8 weeks until my first meet, trying to get my head around this.

If it's your first meet, I would suggest choosing numbers that give you a good chance of going 9/9. Technically every lift is a PB because you've never done it in a meet before. Go through the meet, enjoy yourself and if you feel strong enough, go for a small PB on thirds.
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote