Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:49 AM   #21
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Flow!!! You are over-thinking things again!

You determine what to do 'on the day' you can't plan out a million contingencies for every occasion. Just stop worrying about every minutia, concentrate on progression and most importantly trust yourself.

Quote:
Next session he wants to go for a new one, but recognizes that he is still sore.
No, no, NO. If you're merely sore you man up and do the lift.

You change things around when, and only when, the idea of doing the same thing but with an extra 2.5kg on the bar makes you sick to your stomach. Then AND ONLY THEN do you change. This is not an excuse to be frivolous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flow View Post
Next session he still improves on 3x10 in the row but the weight for bench and presses doesnīt feels right.
Come on man... It doesn't feel right? Then you get your head together and figure out what the problem is.

This is a touchy area Flow, I gave you the benefit of the doubt before because I thought you would know the difference BUT if you are looking to this as an excuse to avoid hard work, or used to frivolously change exercises and sets/reps you will never make my advice work because your problem is NOT one of exercise selection it is one of guts.

I avoid talking about stuff like this because it's not clearly obvious on the 'net who needs instinctive training and who doesn't. This is NOT an excuse to avoid working hard or to be frivolous with your progression. It is when you honestly are working so hard that doing more of the same makes you sick to your stomach, or you KNOW you will risk injury. That is all.

I still don't know you Flow and have never seen you train and I know most people will insist they work hard and have the right attitude but I am doubting this is the case here. The cure for you I think is to stop thinking, mechanically and aggressively do the work. Pour your mental energies into working hard, eating right and working hard!

Last edited by Fazc; 08-02-2012 at 04:54 AM.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #22
flow
Brawn
Points: 1,940, Level: 26 Points: 1,940, Level: 26 Points: 1,940, Level: 26
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

flow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good posts

hi fazc, sorry for the late reply.

Well i think i didnīt find the right words-i meant with "sore" that the weight would feel just too heavy for the trainee to get a PR. Already slow bar speed while warm up etc. not the "pussy soreness".

i think If you advance more its difficult to ride the wave of not doin enough and doin too much.
As posted on the beginning when i train near failure (RPE 10) i burn out quite fast. So i still try to work hard but to let some energy left in me to be able to progress on the next workout.
This is especially tricky for me on the heavy day. when i push too hard i start stalling quite early.
I was interested how patient I should be when it comes to Prs on heavy days. I thought that eventually the volume is too low with 3x5 and if i can expect a better progress when upping the volume. (your cue with the texs method which contains 5x5 on heavy day).
flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #23
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
I was interested how patient I should be when it comes to Prs on heavy days.
You need to expect them, demand them and be achieving them with great frequency. If this is not happening frequently something's broken... your drive, your food intake, whatever.

It isn't a question of how patient you should be. It's a question of, if PRs aren't happening, why? Right now you should be hitting very frequent PRs.

There are a myriad of lifters on this forum who started from square A, never allowed in the possibility of not making progress, and rocketed up the ladder. I could run down names, one after the other. The only thing they have in common is drive. Ltl, Bruteforce, Jen, Tbone. They never accepted the possibility of slow progress, worked on form, ate, and achieved.

Give what you can on a given day, but expect more out of yourself. Success isn't the result of solving a programming puzzle. Evolve your training based on how you feel, do what you can, but accept nothing less than results. Sure you may need to change things over time...add volume, add heavier work, whatever, but before that time progress should be fast and furious.

When late beginners and early intermediates aren't progressing, odds are they simply aren't working as hard as they think they are, or are eating in a manner that is counterproductive.

Start a log here. Get involved with the lifters here. Catch the motivation and inspiration. Study their attitudes and work ethic. Sometimes success can come simply from surrounding yourself by people that do not accept mediocrity.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 08-05-2012 at 12:56 PM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:39 AM   #24
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Start a log here. Get involved with the lifters here. Catch the motivation and inspiration. Study their attitudes and work ethic. Sometimes success can come simply from surrounding yourself by people that do not accept mediocrity.
At this stage Flow, I would echo what Btb has said here.

I know all too well what it's like in some other forums online; the focus is on the talking, the theory, the back-patting and most of all the unvocalised yet undeniable acceptance of mediocrity.

That is not something you're going to get here. Everyone here is working toward something, whether it's heavier poundages, bigger muscles, coming back from injury, weight loss, weight gain or just maintaining as they reach old(er) age. In each of their own way it's a PR.

It's a forum of 'doers' not 'talkers' and I would suggest getting involved here would be the biggest boost to your own training right now.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #25
flow
Brawn
Points: 1,940, Level: 26 Points: 1,940, Level: 26 Points: 1,940, Level: 26
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

flow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good posts

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...tml#post265630
flow is offline   Reply With Quote