Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-19-2012, 04:21 PM   #10
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
They think that it's a much better use of time to jump under the bar right away and start pushing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Obviously I wasn't pushing bodyweight work, but I was pushing simplicity and foundation building.
It really is a horrendous state of affairs when you're being crucified for just stating that people need to build a foundation and learn the lifts. For me a few factors are needed before I would be comfortable in someone pushing hard under the bar. A quick list off the top of my head:

1) Decent form on the big 5; Squats, Deads, Benches, Chins/Rows and Presses. Decent form is good enough to not get hurt. Obviously form is something which people always need to work on.

2) An understanding of diet and some clean and healthy eating habits. We don't need to split hairs over what's clean, I think most people know what's good food and what isn't.

3) A decent level of cardiovascular conditioning. I don't want anyone keeling over from over-exertion.

4) An appreciation of the role of rest and recuperation on training.

Essentially once that relatively short list is fulfilled I would feel comfortable in allowing someone to start pushing a little harder. They would still be doing 2-3 x full body sessions a week, using relatively high reps in the big 5. But I'd feel more comfortable in allowing weight increases.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote